PDA

View Full Version : i buggered me chisel

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 04:23 PM
alright, i was sharpening my spindle gouge, when the left side got to hot and went blue. its stayed blue and isnt cutting well. do i need to regrind it down to past the blue bit?:?

cheers.

ps. other than that, i've had no troubles with sharpening my chisels. ( except for one scraper....)

Cliff Rogers
30th December 2006, 04:55 PM
...the left side got to hot and went blue. its stayed blue and isnt cutting well. do i need to regrind it down to past the blue bit?:? .....

Usually not, just give it a light touch up & try it again.

scooter
30th December 2006, 04:58 PM
Yep

baxter
30th December 2006, 04:58 PM
I have bee told that bluing HSS does not affect it. So you should be able to resharpen and get on with it.

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 04:59 PM
thanx guys, i'll go and touch it up now.
cheers

baxter
30th December 2006, 05:00 PM
Yep

Scooter was that a Yep to Stirlo or to Cliff:; .

Cliff Rogers
30th December 2006, 05:04 PM
Scooter was that a Yep to Stirlo or to Cliff:; .

Yep, he can't loose. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2006, 05:06 PM
HSS or CS? If CS, it probably won't start holding an edge for any lengthy time until you've almost ground the bluing out.

But there's not much point to regrinding it and losing the steel... using/sharpening it as per normal, perhaps "babying" the blued section a bit, will soon see that section ground away anyway. Unless you're doing finishing cuts or working a cantankerous wood, in which case a good edge can be critical.

Get used to it. Even the experts blue their chisels occasionally and most turners that I know just shrug & keep on turning. :winksmiley02:

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 05:14 PM
alright. it didn't seem to effect turning the goblet much so i guess i can live with it. i just gave it a lite touch up but haven't tried it with turning and i cant untill tommorrow now.
skew, it is HSS.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2006, 05:19 PM
skew, it is HSS.

Then don't worry about it. :)

It takes higher temps than bluing to affect HSS... although it's not really good for the steel. Just try not to do it again.

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 05:22 PM
thanx skew, i'll try not to do it again....:)