PDA

View Full Version : conecting a dvd to a set top box?

Farm boy
30th December 2006, 10:42 PM
my wife went shopping today and came home with a panasonic hd set top box (model p/tuhdt105a)

i have connected this to my old panasonic stereo tv (1997 vintage)
and it works great:2tsup:

can i connect my dvd into the set top box (there are red,white and yellow holes that say vcr or is just easier to run the red ,white and yellow chords into the av2 conection in the tv

thanks
greg

pcal
30th December 2006, 10:51 PM
can i connect my dvd into the set top box (there are red,white and yellow holes that say vcr or is just easier to run the red ,white and yellow chords into the av2 conection in the tv

thanks
greg

Unless your set top box has one of those hard disk recorders built into it, there is absolutely no point in plugging a dvd into a set top box. And even if it has, it would be technically illegal to use it copy dvd's unless you filmed them yourself. (But if you did, and had them on dvd already - why would you want to record them again?)

Short answer, plug the dvd into the tv...

Regards

Pcal

Farm boy
31st December 2006, 02:23 AM
thanks pcal
i will muck around with it when i get home

snowyskiesau
31st December 2006, 03:07 AM
On my set top box, the various connections (S-Video, RGB, SCART) are all outputs. The only input is the RF or antenna connection.
You can only record to it's internal hard disk from a broadcast.

Stuart
31st December 2006, 11:23 AM
Unless your set top box has one of those hard disk recorders built into it, there is absolutely no point in plugging a dvd into a set top box. And even if it has, it would be technically illegal to use it copy dvd's unless you filmed them yourself. (But if you did, and had them on dvd already - why would you want to record them again?)

Short answer, plug the dvd into the tv...

Regards

PcalUnless you have overridden the DRM chip in the set-top box, you wouldn't be able to copy a commercial DVD anyway - same as you can't copy a DVD to tape or viceversa. To breech copyright, you need a computer.