PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Handled Screw Driver

Boxinator
31st December 2006, 03:09 AM
Hello All! This is my first posting on this part of the site. I turn on occasion.. mostly pens on my midi but here is one of my few non pen items.

I made this from one of the Rockler Kits that are avaialble. Fun project. We have my side of the family Christmas on New Years Day and this is a gift for my dad ( along with a pen and case I made earlier ). I gave my brother a pen for his birthday and my dad said "Where's Mine"? ....so he will like it.
The only thing I do not like about the kit is that the bits are not standard sized double ended like Stanley etc. On a qwest to fine additional bits or and adapter that will hold regular bits.
Corey
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/WalnutScrewDriver2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/WalnutScrewDriver1.jpg

Evan Pavlidis
31st December 2006, 03:42 AM
Very impessive work Corey; looks like heirloom quality. The recipient will be very happy indeed.

Cheers,
Evan

Doughboy
31st December 2006, 07:46 AM
Beautiful work there Corey. I think the old man will be happy with the presents you are going to give him.

Good luck on the hunt for what you want.

Pete

Ross
31st December 2006, 07:48 AM
Very nice. Which kit is it?

Ross

BernieP
31st December 2006, 02:05 PM
G'Day Corey

I agree very nice gift I'm sure DAD will treasure it
enjoy your celebrations.

cheers
Bernie

Wayne Blanch
31st December 2006, 02:56 PM
Nice work, Your Dad will love it I reckon. Well done:2tsup:

tashammer
31st December 2006, 03:01 PM
Durn good idea that Corey and well-made too. A set of wooden-handled tools like that would be a pleasure.

OGYT
31st December 2006, 03:12 PM
Corey, I buy the same sort of tool at the local lumber yard for $3.89 (USD), and I believe they are different from your kit. One end has 5/16" bits and the other has 1/4" bits, which fit most of the extra bits you can buy.
I cut the plastic handles off, pop out the inserts, and put wood handles on them, to sell at craft shows. I make the ferrules from 1" rigid copper tubing.
They sell like hotcakes, at just under triple what I paid for them.
You might have a place nearby where you might do the same... 'course I don't know what you paid for the kit, either.
Anyway... just thought this might help you out.

Wayne Blanch
31st December 2006, 03:22 PM
Al,
What a great idea, I have seen similar screwdrivers here, Looks like I have some more ideas for presents Thanks :cool:
Wayne

ss_11000
31st December 2006, 03:22 PM
thats really cool

Simomatra
31st December 2006, 03:26 PM
Very nice Corey the Om should be really happy with it

Boxinator
1st January 2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks all for the kind words. Ross, this is the link to the kit:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16413&SearchHandle=DADBDCDBDADADDDGGCGFDGDFDJGGGGGCCNGDGFDGDJCNDEGBDIDICNGBDIDIGCCNGGDFGCGEDHGFGCDIGCGFDADFDADADADBDADADADBDGFDGDHCGFHHCAEEHCGJHGGFHCCAELGJHEDADADADEDADADADADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDADADADBDGFDGDHCGFHHCAEEHCGJHGGFHCCAELGJHEDADADADBDB&CFID=10183433&CFTOKEN=90250772

Al, I found a Stanley that I had in my own tool box that has just what you said a 5/16 end and 1/4 end. I will look at the Borgs and check them out. The one you have does it use double ended bits or single insert bits? Also is the receiver that goes into the handle square or round on the ones you buy. That would be my only worry, keeping the receiver from turning inside.
Thanks again All!

Corey

Ross
1st January 2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks Corey, I have just emailed my son a shopping list.

Ross

OGYT
1st January 2007, 02:54 PM
Al, I found a Stanley that I had in my own tool box that has just what you said a 5/16 end and 1/4 end. I will look at the Borgs and check them out. The one you have does it use double ended bits or single insert bits? Also is the receiver that goes into the handle square or round on the ones you buy. That would be my only worry, keeping the receiver from turning inside. Corey

Corey, mine uses double ended bits, and the 1/4" end will hold all the other 1/4 hex bits that have a groove for the locking ring to snap into.:cool:
The receiver is round and tapered slightly, with some ridges (to keep it from rotating) on it. I ground down a 9/16" spade bit into a taper that would match the receiver, and marked the proper depth on the bit, so that the receiver could be forced the last 16th inch into the hole; and then doped the hole with superglue just prior to insertion of the receiver. I use one of 'em in my shop all the time. Never had one to escape. :D (Don't forget, ya gotta drill out the rest of the hole depth with a 3/8" bit before you do the insertion of the receiver. :o )
I do all the drilling before the handle is turned, next, the insertion of the receiver. Then I turn for the ferrule, using the tailstock centered into the receiver. Then I fit the ferrule, and last I turn the handle. This is just the fastest way I've been able to turn 'em out. All the turning of the handle is done using the tailstock for stability, and it keeps the receiver centered properly... even when I get a catch. :oo:

Boxinator
1st January 2007, 03:07 PM
Thank you OGYT. Thank you for the info. I will have to check out the borgs and see what i can find. I have a Stanley 6 in 1 driver that has both a 5/16 end and a 1/4 end and that fits right into the receiver of the Rockler kit. Sounds like you have this down to an art! Thanks for the help!

Corey

Old Arn
3rd January 2007, 02:01 PM
Great idea Corey :2tsup:

After seeing yours I had to go make me one :U Not as purty as yours but it was fun making it. Also made a scratch awl for my brother who works in a sheetmetal shop, he should be able to put it to good use. Hope ya don't mind, attached a quick snap shot of em.

Boxinator
3rd January 2007, 02:03 PM
Hey that is neat Shane. Is the screw driver a ratcheting one ? Sweet! They are fun and it is evident kits are really needed.... just canibalize what ever is around :) What did you make the awl blade with? Very nice!

Corey

Old Arn
3rd January 2007, 02:13 PM
Hey Corey ... Nope, not ratcheting dangit, (but I do have an old one kicking around ... hmmmm) its just an old Makita driver that was beat up. It holds two tips, just slide the ring forward to unlock it and change the tips.... Looks much better now :U The awl is made from an old drill bit.