PDA

View Full Version : Horse Shelters

Grunt
31st December 2006, 10:04 AM
I know that there are a few horsey people or at least horse victims around here.

My wife wants me to build a horse shelter. I've been looking at them around here and they all have there opening to the east. For those that don't know they are basically small 3 sided sheds.

My question is why have the opening to the east? Solar passive design says have the opening to the north. If I do the north opening it'll be warmer in winter and still provide shade in the summer.

Chris

Iain
31st December 2006, 10:14 AM
In our case it is because most prevailing wind/driven rain (what I remember of it) comes from the west/southwest.
They have a stable they use when they feel like it which opens to the south.
Having said that, I have seen some shelters with four sides except that the opening side has a wall that is only about 1.5m high and about a 1m opening for entry.

echnidna
31st December 2006, 10:30 AM
As Iain said, it depends on the direction of your prevailing winds.

Grunt
31st December 2006, 10:37 AM
The prevailing winds are from the south/south west.

You'll get equal protection from the south/south westerly with a northerly opening as a easterly opening.

echnidna
31st December 2006, 10:59 AM
Northerlies can mean hot winds which might heat the boxes up too much.

Doughboy
31st December 2006, 11:07 AM
We always built ours easterly facing with a tree (when possible) about 4 feet from the open side. We also made them out of green poles and weathered slabs, with twisted #8 wire to hold it all together... Still standing after 20 years.

Pete

Iain
31st December 2006, 11:54 AM
Horses are also inclined to stand with their heads poking out so they can see what is going on, so with the closed side into the wind they can still stand partly outside without getting wet.
They are nosey buggers and don't want to miss out on what is happening.

Gumby
1st January 2007, 06:19 PM
Prevailing winds in summer are from the SW. In winter, the North.

Face it east.