PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Over Organoil

Asquared
21st July 1999, 02:22 AM
I've used Organoil hard burnishing oil to finish hall seat made from Marri (WA red gum). I rubbed it in with a 600 grit wet n dry disk sander. It looks good except that in patches where the grain is more open it still feels a bit "greasy" to touch. I want to wax it to put a sheen on it but I'm worried that the oil hasn't dried/cured. Its been on for 3 days now. Anyone got any tips or thoughts?

------------------
Andrew Armstrong

ubeaut
21st July 1999, 06:14 AM
Hi Andrew

Organoil recommend the use of either our EEE-Ultra Shine or Traditional Wax.

Do not use a beeswax paste as it will remain sticky. If you followed the instructions supplied with the oil you should be able to apply the wax within 24 hours. However I would leave it a couple of weeks as it tends to sink in and dull a little over that time and the best benefit of the waxing will be achieved after this has happened.

Cheers
Neil Ellis http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Peter Phelps
22nd July 1999, 07:26 PM
Andrew
The best way to machine burnish ORGANOIL Hard Burnishing Oil is with a random orbital sander. The areas that dont seem to be drying may be be due to insufficient burnishing. You realy need to apply the heat through friction to burnish fully. Try to retain the fine wood dust and this with the application of oil should fill the more open grained sections. It is also important, with dense timbers, to give the oil a chance to penetrate into the timber and "bottom out" otherwise in the open grained areas the surface oil will be sucked down gradually and you'll lose your finish. Organoil has a fine "pre-treatment, seasoning oil" called WOODGUARD, this can be used as a primer and will assist in establishing a good base and also help to take the fuller bodied oils down into the timber.
If your after a higher finish ORGANOIL's WOODSHEEN finishing buffing oil is designed to go over its other oils to give a satin patina when buffed. It can be used a general furniture oil.
If your after a waxed finish and you want to stick with ORGANOIL then there is their NATURAL WAX & POLISH. This is a formulation of filtered white bees wax and light plant oils blended to create an easily applied cream that gives you a traditional, but low build wax finish.
Hope this helps,
regards
Peter Phelps