PDA

View Full Version : need advice on Msn

SPIRIT
31st December 2006, 10:17 PM
have a teenager who wants to put msn (chat room for friends) on computer
is it safe?ect :shifty:

Wood Butcher
31st December 2006, 10:25 PM
So long as you monitor who she is talking to - it might be okay.

I use it regularly to contact other people that I am studying with at uni and some of my long distance friends but I am very computer literate so I know what to watch out for. The bigest advantage is that people must be invited into the conversation (they are not public like some chat rooms) but it doesn't take huge amounts of effort to harvest emails if someone really wants to. Best to use a virtual email like yahoo or hotmail for MSN not your email given to you by your ISP as at least if you get targetted by spamers it is easy to dump the affected email address and create a new one.

My advice is to try it, making sure that your kids knows about responsible usage and what to look out for in regards to unwanted advances from others.

SPIRIT
31st December 2006, 10:36 PM
thanks. l mite be over protective the creeps worry me if l can't grab them by the neck is there a fee we looked at the site they talked about charges:?

Wood Butcher
31st December 2006, 10:48 PM
MSN doesn't cost anything. Go to www.messenger.msn.com for the download.

One thing to be wary of is when it is being installed read everything!!!!

Make sure that there are no boxes ticked that will allow the program to install unwanted extras into your web browsers etc.

SPIRIT
31st December 2006, 10:54 PM
thanks butcher have bite the bullet sometime shes getting older 13 going 30:)

womble
1st January 2007, 08:34 AM
have a teenager who wants to put msn (chat room for friends) on computer
is it safe?ect :shifty:

not really safe, lots of stats around showing there's a lot of predators out there who use things like msn to groom potential victims. They can be very good at what they do

I know parents who have a rule with computers of only allowing their kids to 'chat' on msn in an open room (eg lounge room) so there's little chance of anything nasty happening. If the kids complain, no more msn...they also track internet usage and sites visited etc

I know a family up the road from us with a daughter who was 13 going on 30 etc, had lots of problems with the little darling...she chats on msn too, informed her parents when she was 15 that her new boyfriend was coming to visit and stay...he was from England and 19...parents actually let it happen...

make sure there's some rules!

Tonyz
1st January 2007, 09:22 AM
I love the program ................on someone elses computer:D

Tony

SPIRIT
1st January 2007, 01:48 PM
l can see were there good and bad l am lucky realy she is sensable
but l have heard that bulling and spredding gossip about others can be a prob as butcher wrote we could just use email hotmail ect but she said to slow :doh: to chat?? being pushed for answer soon will look into more any advice welcom
as for a19 y/old showing up me and the bothers would have fun with him :bns:

scooter
1st January 2007, 03:26 PM
Spirit, she coiuld use a VOIP service to chat to her friends.

It is basically telephone over the internet, you need a broadband connection & a headset.

Most VOIP providers give free calls between users on their system.

Skype is a common one most people have heard of.

I use sipme, it works similar to a prepaid mobile phone in that you buy credit in advance, I bought $10 about 2 or 3 months ago. No ongoing fees or term contracts. Calls between sipme accounts are free, & calls to Oz landlines are 10c untimed anytime.

Not sure if you can have a party line, ie. more than 2 users participating in the call tho' .

Checkout www.sipme.com.au (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/www.sipme.com.au)

HTH.............cheers.............Sean

dadpad
1st January 2007, 03:53 PM
Both my kids use hotmail addresses for MSN. its plenty fast enough. We also have cam and that works ok as well.

Its pretty easy to "block" anyone you dont want to talk to. and with a hotmail a/c you can always just change addies.

We got MSN when my daughter went to sweden for a rotary exchange and it was a godsend.

My son 15 has been banned (by me) several times for breaking rules or talking about innaproriate subjects and we regularily "clean out" his address book.

Set the rules now while your daughter is still young enough to do as she is told. (You know what theyre like when they grow up).

No meet ups address exchange or phone number exchange unless you (parent) have met them first. Public meet ups with you in attendance.

Mobile phone, msn and myspace are a teenagers lifeline these days.

SPIRIT
1st January 2007, 09:35 PM
been looking into it think might go hotmail she has been using my e/mail ad
and l can look at them just have to break the code they use:q l trust her but cant help checking just in case .as to doing what were told l must have missed that part

echnidna
1st January 2007, 09:58 PM
you can check the past messages in messenger.

Gumby
1st January 2007, 10:21 PM
Tell her you can read all her messages, that should keep her on the ball.
Also, you can get a program called mailpass (free download) if you want to check her login password.

As the others said, ONLY register with a hotmail address.

Mai (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/download/mail-pass-view.aspx)l Pass Viewer (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/download/mail-pass-view.aspx)

SPIRIT
1st January 2007, 10:25 PM
Tell her you can read all her messages, that should keep her on the ball.
Also, you can get a program called mailpass (free download) if you want to check her login password.

As the others said, ONLY register with a hotmail address.feels like l shoud wear a uniform:C

Shedhand
1st January 2007, 11:01 PM
MSN is spyware. :no: I only use it to contact family and trusted friends. Skype with a Headset is good. Its all I use now. Talk to my brother in London for hours - free.

Gumby
1st January 2007, 11:07 PM
Talk to my brother in London for hours - free.

So did I, he said to say hello.

old_picker
1st January 2007, 11:17 PM
I fix computers for a living and for me mSN messenger is just great.
I get lots of work from people who's kids use it...

if she attracts the attention of an idiot they have total control of your computer and possibly even your daughter

Ask yourself these questions
Are you happy for her to be chatting to strangers??
are you on top of computer security??
Is the computer in a public area??
Would she agree to and would you be prepared to supervise sessions??
Do you know how to access the chat logs??

If you answered yes to all of the above go right ahead.

Plenty of kids use MSN but so do plenty of adults and you dont know who is who as it is all anonymous if you want it to be. At least make sure the chat logs are on and keep them on so at least you can see what is going on. Also after MSN is installed make sure she is using a login account that doesn't have administrator privileges. IMHO she is a bit young yet to be getting into internet chat rooms

SPIRIT
1st January 2007, 11:23 PM
l know good advice when l hear it thats why l asked email/hotmail address seems the way to go and wear my daddy hat am l right with this. realy have no idea:doh: but its my girl were talking about

Clinton1
2nd January 2007, 12:22 AM
I suppose a part of the question is if you say no, how will she respond to that?

When all her friends are on it and chatting continually, and she's left out and its all your fault .... there's the potential for a festering teenage sore! :o

If she is a good girl, well adjusted and has a good relationship with you and her mum, part of the 'security rules' will be her commonsense.

I reckon it will be hard to say no and still keep things on an even keel.... and lets face it, she will have as much chance of running across a predator there as at the shops. :(( :no:

What about a second computer for the net chatting, as a virus protection measure for your 'real' computer?

Master Splinter
2nd January 2007, 08:54 PM
The dangers of MSN - or any other chat client - are often overstated in comparison to reality, especially if your daughter is even sorta' sensible.

If you can train her to NOT click on the "Your PC is slow/infected/lacking in useful toolbar helpers/cute bears/pony wallpaper" ads, you are 95% there.

Using a modified hosts file to block ads helps with this. See here (http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html).

Viruses, trojans and the like - these will generally only get onto your computer via 'social engineering' - you have to be made to go to a particular web site for malicious content to actually run - and if you are using a safer browser (such as Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/)) you will more than likely be immune to it anyway, if it doesnt get nuked by your firewall. There's nothing specific to MSN in this regard.

Zone Alarm (http://www.zonelabs.com/) is a highly thought of firewall (and its free); I use Avast! (http://www.avast.com/)anti virus (another freebie) and never had any problems.

Use something like Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) and Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/) from time to time - but dont freak at the number of things they may find - most are simply cookies which are used by websites to hold information between pages. Read/Google what it says and understand that many of them are harmless (just privacy concerns) and not malicious or harmful.

As for on-line predators - according to the statistics, your daughter is at more risk from other family members/family friends/teachers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Kay_Letourneau)/clergy and possibly even senators in the US (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Foley) than from a random perve online, even when you include these efforts (http://www.perverted-justice.com/).

I would use a chat nick that does not indicate that she is female, just to avoid being pestered by looser n00bs from india or the middle east who immediately message "28/m/pakistan.....sened me yr photoe plz..u r so sxy" to anything remotely female sounding.

A throwaway email address (hotmail, yahoo, gmail or whatever) is useful, but I've never had a spam deluge to any of mine - and it's easy enough to kill-file any dropkicks.

Seeking ethical advice myself - when I'm wearing my daddy hat, and having a word to Mr 15 about the pics of bare nakkid' ladies on his PC (and its not even connected to teh intarwebs!!eleven!), is it alright to ask him for a copy of the nice ones?

Wood Butcher
2nd January 2007, 09:04 PM
Seeking ethical advice myself - when I'm wearing my daddy hat, and having a word to Mr 15 about the pics of bare nakkid' ladies on his PC (and its not even connected to teh intarwebs!!eleven!), is it alright to ask him for a copy of the nice ones?

Geez, talk about the technology age. When I was his age a couple of magazines under the bed was sufficient:roll::U

Shedhand
3rd January 2007, 11:22 AM
When you say teenager Spirit, how old is she?

Because irrespective of her age you can safely assume that even though its difficult for you to believe so, she won't be as wide eyed innocent as you think or would like her to be. I have a daughter who's 35 now but when she was 13 I got a rude awakening when I stupidly thought she was an innocent. Cops at the door one night telling me she was found drunk at an adults party. We always did the right thing, taught right from wrong, open and honest about sexuality and relationships blah blah blah. You can't teach them everything - they have to learn somethings for themselves. Commonsense will protect her from net nasties and as others have said it is unlikely that she will be targeted provided she is sensible. The internet is a wonderful tool for learning, entertainment and social networking. Its a pity that the hand-wringing, wet-eyed, god bothering wowsers spend so much time and effort trying to censor activities and content which is freely available in libraries and newsagents anywhere in the case if the written word and any pub, parked car or beach in the case of human interaction.
Just don't let her meet any net contacts at the airport and she'll be pretty safe mate.
Cheers

SPIRIT
3rd January 2007, 04:25 PM
just back . everything is yellow or have l still got a hangover
drama still goes on little mis has pull in some reinforsments
yes all her friends have msn already and she is v/sensable really
better 1/2 beleaves sensable enough and so do l..:) so its the viruse debate , l do thank everybody for thier input :D
she has used that this forum is just like a chat room:doh:

echnidna
3rd January 2007, 04:35 PM
this forum is just like a chat room

very close to it :)