PDA

View Full Version : Investing in the afterlife

Eastie
22nd May 2003, 03:00 PM
I recently heard of a guy who creatively designed some shelving that can very easily be turned into a coffin upon his demise. To get around the morbidity of the whole thing it doesn’t resemble a coffin when assembled as a bookshelf.

It got me to thinking of potential designs you could use on such a box-come-furniture piece ?

Maybe a future 4”x2” triton challenge ? :D

Shane Watson
22nd May 2003, 07:31 PM
I saw a program on the ABC a while ago about the same thing. But it was for a rich (I mean mega rich) lady over in england somewhere and she had her coffin made into a blanket box. She employed some master craftsman for several months just to work on this. It came out really nice for a blanket box, but nothing spectacular for a coffin when she finally gets to use it...Anyway each to there own..

zymurgy
22nd May 2003, 11:20 PM
From http://www.ashtonmanufacturing.com.au/coffins/coffins_caskets.htm some details on construction can be found.

I especially like the wording "Solid Timber. The strength, warmth and beauty of solid timber are preferred by those who appreciate the natural, unique qualities of wood and the finer things in life."

Also noted is the use of waterproof Plywood!

Does it really matter :)

Gordon

Phil Jennings
23rd May 2003, 10:46 AM
When I started woodwork classes at evening college 4 years ago there was a lovely older lady by the name of Kath who was an experienced woodworker. Her current project at the time was her own coffin from pacific maple that she was going to use as a bookshelf until she needed it for other purposes.

Her husband thought she was nuts until she took it home. He said "that's great can you make me one?". So she did only his was a lot larger, Kath being tiny, and his was made out of cypress pine.

Kath was written up in the Sydney Morning Herald. No-one believed me when I told them about Kath until it was printed in the paper!

You meet all the nicest people doing woordwork.

Phil

Eastie
23rd May 2003, 12:33 PM
Interesting to note that in victoria the following law applies:

CEMETERIES REGULATIONS 1988 - SECT 5

5. Corpse to be enclosed

(1) A person must not bring a corpse into a public cemetery, or convey a corpse within a public cemetery unless the corpse is in-
(a) a closed coffin that conforms with the requirements of sub-regulation
(2); or
(b) a receptacle or container which-
(i) is substantial; and
(ii) is in a clean and hygienic state; and
(iii) is closed. Penalty: $500.

(2) A coffin must be-
(a) soundly constructed; and
(b) made of wood or metal; and
(c) designed so that offensive liquids and noxious gases cannot escape.

jshaw
23rd May 2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Eastie
Interesting to note that in victoria the following law applies:

CEMETERIES REGULATIONS 1988 - SECT 5

(2) A coffin must be-
(c) designed so that offensive liquids and noxious gases cannot escape.

What? Not ever? I kind of like the idea of me and the box quietly rotting down together... Maybe it's just me, but fertilizer sounds good and lead-lined soup sounds bad.

Cheers,
John

soundman
28th May 2003, 08:55 PM
While we are on the subject does any body know about the regulations in queensland relating to coffins or if there is an australian standard.

kenmil
28th May 2003, 09:00 PM
I would imagine a sunroof is acceptable in Queensland.:D

zymurgy
28th May 2003, 10:33 PM
Just saw a Discovery 'Crime Night' episode. Husband disposed of wife with the aid of a large woodchipper machine. They only recovered about 6oz of her, but enough to verify identity and therefore her death.

This leads to....

Why coffins at all, say your goodbyes and then press the big red switch. Less real estate use, etc.

Gordon.

Eastie
29th May 2003, 11:09 AM
Gordon,
don't be surprised when you next rock up to Coates hire and ask for a stump grinder or wood chipper the bloke behind the counter asks for the boss. On arrival he looks at you a little strange - tilitng his head little to the right and rubbing his chin before having a moment of clarity and calling the Feds :D

Your sick.

zymurgy
29th May 2003, 01:36 PM
At one time or other, all new ideas were 'sick' :)

Maybe it'll become the norm, people are always looking for efficient 'green' solutions to our waste problems!

Think 'Soylent Green' http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue55/classic.html

Gordon.

Wood Borer
29th May 2003, 02:16 PM
There is a book I purchased on the subject of coffins.

See attached picture if I am successful.

Good book to show people just before they leave the shed.

- Wood Borer

zymurgy
29th May 2003, 02:24 PM
The title should be "Castoffins in Coffins for Boffins"

Sorry ;)

Wood Borer
29th May 2003, 02:32 PM
The front cover says something about woodworkers who are buried in their work or some such witty phrase.

I have glanced through the book but I don't intend making a coffin just yet.

- Wood Borer

Iain
29th May 2003, 05:33 PM
I liked the regulation, 'in a clean and hygienic state', after all, we don't want the contained one to catch anything do we?

My sister in law said she will dance on my grave when I go, I intend to be buried at sea.

Eastie
30th May 2003, 10:12 AM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/chuckle2.gif