PDA

View Full Version : design help

Clinton1
2nd January 2007, 02:24 PM
I'm searching for a design for a hall table, console, sofa table... something along those lines.
It will have a typical 'console' top, and will stand near the hall, across the front door, and as such I want it to be a show piece.

The first pic shows the design I want for the top, but I don't want to copy the carcass/legs.

Second pic is similiar to the carcase style I'm after.

I think that the design will be from the Regency Pedestal tables/sideboards, or Hepplewhite consoles?

Question:
What would the best references for Hepplewhite and Regency period furniture.... along the lines of "the Gentlemen and Cabinetmakers Director" by Chippendale?

I know of the "Cabinetmaker and Upholsterers Guide" by Hepplewhite, but is it "useable"?

I'd greatly prefer something with line drawings and perspectives that are good enough to develop a full design from, ala the Chippendale reference.

I'm in no hurry.... it will take a year to get the timber and veneers for the piece sorted. :rolleyes:

Any assistance appreciated.

Cliff Rogers
2nd January 2007, 02:30 PM
Have a look at Major's Rosewood & Silver Ash Hall Table here. :2tsup:
http://www.majorpanic.com/
http://www.majorpanic.com/RW_table.htm

echnidna
2nd January 2007, 02:44 PM
The carcass is a Sheraton style so you won't find it under Chippendale or Hepplewhite.

BrettC
6th January 2007, 05:15 PM
Clinton,

The key will be to build the console table and then adapt the design to accomodate the top you are after. FWW issue 180 (Dec. 2005) has good instructions for how to build the console style table, also Tables by Taunton (Guidice) has another, albeit simpler version. FWW 182 has a masterclass for inlaying bellflowers in the Federal style and FWW 138 has details for the oval style inlays.
Other than that there is good info to be had in books like "American Furniture of the 18th century" (Greene) on scaling period type pieces, well worth a look at if you haven't already got it.

Cheers.

jaspr
6th January 2007, 05:23 PM
You beat me to it, BrettC.

Your second pic, Clinton1, is very similar to the one featured in FWW No 180, Dec 05.

It's called a Federal table - actually a gate-legged card table because it has a fold out top.

Clinton1
6th January 2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks Bob, that saves me some $ spent on the wrong bloke!

Brett and Jaspr - thanks, I'll check those FWW mags out.

I'm actually after something that shows the geometric design 'rules' relating to perspective and proportion so I cna do the design myself.
Chippendales "Gentlemen and Cabinet mekers director" has them, as well as line drawings of the furniture pieces.

I guess I'm trying to find something similiar for other designers.
Any ideas for books that will help me with Sheraton and Hepplewhite?

Federal style - yep, thats another style I like - I'll add Greene's book to my list.

echnidna
6th January 2007, 11:23 PM
I think I've got copies of Chippendales, Hepplewhites & Sheraton's books here somewhere, I'll have a hunt arount over the next week.
(actually chippendales "Gentlemen and Cabinet mekers director" has already been scanned just need the time to put it together probably it'll have to go on a cd)