PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please

masoth
2nd January 2007, 03:50 PM
Can anyone explain a regular opening of my download manager 'offering' spacer.gif or .tif ? It is annoying :(( and I don't want to install it with out more knowledge - searching with Google has not convinced me of anything.

Thanks, soth

Malibu
2nd January 2007, 05:35 PM
Try running an Ad-ware scan. It might be a promotion from some dodgy company like the ones that I get regularly or a spy-ware type thing.
Not sure if it is the problem, but it wouldn't hurt to do it anyway :D
I run Ad-Aware SE by Lavasoft in Sweden. There's probably better ones around, but this one seems to work OK (and it was cheap!... $0). Sorry, I don't have an address, but a search should come up with something :)

jchappo
2nd January 2007, 05:49 PM
Usually a small blank image file used to space elements in the html of a web page.

Try opening in Irfan or some other image display program. If the program accepts it, the screen will be blank, but you will know that it is a genuine image file.

If, on the other hand, the program says that it can't open it, then it may be something more sinister.

Stuart
2nd January 2007, 11:20 PM
www.lavasoft.com

Malibu is right about needing to run anti malware software regularly, and lavasoft's one does seem to be a good one. I've been using it for the last 6 years or so to good effect.

masoth
3rd January 2007, 08:01 AM
Thank you, all. I run plenty of defensive stuff and rarely have an infection problem.
My interest was what the spacer is and jchappo answered it.:cool:

Ta a bit,

soth

Stuart
3rd January 2007, 09:29 AM
Now if you'd asked "what is spacer.gif?", then you would have gotten a completely different answer to the question that you did ask
Can anyone explain a regular opening of my download manager 'offering' spacer.gif or .tif ? which implies your download manager is behaving strangely, and that is a completely different issue.