PDA

View Full Version : Qld Red Cedar - Oil Finishes

Leno
20th July 1999, 11:11 PM
Could some one please assist with advice on a suitable finish, preferably an oil (such as tung or danish Watco etc) for a red cedar panel feature wall (new timber). I am not inclined to a stain but would like some help on that as well. Rank amateur.

Neil Ellis
21st July 1999, 06:26 AM
Red Cedar is used for its clean fresh smell along with other properties.

If it were me I would leave the timber in its raw state, it will look great and last like that for many years.

There is no law that says timber must be finished at all costs, so why not enjoy the benefits of the wood while you can.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Cheers
Neil

Peter Phelps
22nd July 1999, 07:48 PM
Dear Leno,
If your after an oiled finish, my favourite finish for cedar joinery is ORGANOIL's Garden Furniture Oil over a finely sanded timber. If you apply the oil after sanding down to about 400 wet & dry then lightly burnish by going back over the wet oiled timber with the last used sandpaper you'll produce an oil/dust slurry that fills the grain. Leave the work for about twenty to thirty minutes, then go back over with a soft cotton cloth and buff the finish. This will give you a beautiful lustre and bring out the great colour range in cedar. Under lights at night it just glows.
This is how I finished all my cedar windows (internally) about four years ago, and they still looks great. I give them a "spruce" up about once a year with a bit of oil on a cloth and a quick buff.

If your after the location of your local stockist call Organoil on freecall 1800 060 654.
Regards,
Peter Phelps