PDA

View Full Version : Is the Domino the best tool for this job?

journeyman Mick
3rd January 2007, 12:34 AM
Okay Domino owners, you don't need to convince me the Domino is a great tool. I've had a play with one at a demo and I can see it paying for itself pretty quickly in certain applications. I don't have a problem spending big dollars on a tool if it will make me money. I'm wondering though whether the Domino is the best tool for door making. Sometime not too far down the track I might start making custom timber entrance and internal doors, as well as timber gates. I've got a few builders that have expressed interest (like, when will you start? I can give you an order now.) So I'm thinking that a horizontal slot morticer with which I can cut 12mm, 16mm and 19mm mortices for floating tenons would be better than a domino in this case. I'll still buy a Domino down the track for furniture work.
I know that some tests have shown that a pair of biscuits will give a stronger joint than M & T, but the biscuit joints failed totally when they let go whereas the M & T loosend up before finally failing totally. I don't know where a couple of dominos would fit into the test scenario, but presumably a single large tenon will perform better in the long term than a pair (or more) of smaller ones Presumably in real life, this loosening would be noticed and addressed before catastrophic failure. (Ya gotta think of warranty/liability issues) So I don't know how unbiased an answer anyone can give me, given that you're all mad keen Domino owners/users, I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who's owned/used both the domino and a horizontal slot morticer.

Mick

TassieKiwi
8th January 2007, 11:29 AM
I think that it would be perfect! I made aome cedar framed fly-screeen doors with traditional M&T's - would've been much faster with the Domi. You could make a few jigs as you go, and into it!

journeyman Mick
9th January 2007, 01:05 AM
Moderators,
what happened? this post had about 6-8 replies the other day, now there's only one.:?

Mick

eddie the eagle
9th January 2007, 07:26 AM
Hi Mick,

Looks as though your initial post was put up twice.

Here's the link to the other one:
http://woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=43025

Best regards,

eddie