PDA

View Full Version : Non-Existent Shed Story Part 2

RufflyRustic
3rd January 2007, 07:49 PM
Part One of the my Non-Existent Shed Story is here:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18212

Now for Part Two.

Two weeks before Christmas I have to confess that I threw a massive wobbly tantrum :rant2:- a very major hissy fit :fit: . For once in his life, HWMBO actually took notice :yikes:and finally we came up with a plan for me to get my shed. The money turns up and suddenly it's Christmas - everything is shut - Too Late!! HWMBO has a little snicker to himself..... :((

Tuesday, 2 January 2007
Off we both go on a merry little jaunt off to start the round of the shed places. :yippy:

Hmm, first one is shut , so is the second, :othe third and.... oh Bugger!!! :C

They're all closed till maybe next week!!!! :bigcry:

HWM-N-BO suddenly gets very kind and attentive and takes me out to lunch.... and then proceeds to tell all his friends how we went to order my shed and the places were all closed.

Sigh, maybe I'll have an update for you all next week :-

cheers
Wendy

DJ’s Timber
3rd January 2007, 07:56 PM
Darn what a bugger :~ that no ones open, but at least you are getting one now :yippy:

echnidna
3rd January 2007, 08:09 PM
Work a bit harder on im and get a deluxe shed Wendy

RufflyRustic
3rd January 2007, 08:30 PM
It'll be deluxe all right, 'specially when I get through with it :D gonna go all out and get them to do the concreting and roof insulation and building and and all that sorta stuff :cool:

Then I'll get busy with the electrician and the insulation and the new jarrah/silver ash dovetail workbench an' a ...a... and ... um... a sink that I hope to eventually hook up to a tank and, an' a .. and..... :rolleyes:

Whoo Yeah! Wendy's getting a she-eed http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

echnidna
3rd January 2007, 08:31 PM
don't forget the goodies that go inside the shed

Border boy
4th January 2007, 12:03 AM
I Know how you feel.
Got a tennis court up the back waiting for a shed to go on it. Concreter has boxed, dug pier holes & laid blue metal. I've been admiring it for 3 weeks now. Concreter is having problems sourcing interesting aggregate for the mix - slab was meant to go down late December. all the tradies around here are back on Jan 8.
Hmmmm
Patience is a virtue, they say.

JDub
4th January 2007, 09:14 AM
It'll be deluxe all right, 'specially when I get through with it :D gonna go all out and get them to do the concreting and roof insulation and building and and all that sorta stuff :cool:

http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

Great news Wendy :2tsup:

What dimensions will this new woodworking palace be?

Give us the ins and the outs :wink:

Joel

bitingmidge
4th January 2007, 10:22 AM
WOW Wendy!:2tsup:

What a great bit of news!

Now when't the shed christening? We're going to have to wet it's head after all!

P
:D :D :D

RufflyRustic
4th January 2007, 11:26 AM
Border Boy - 3 weeks - what a way to learn patience :( I've been trying to learn patience for about 4 years now and it still isn't happening :D

I'm going for a 6m by 4m shed 2.4m high at the edge but that will be ok as it's all going to be insulated, most likely a roller door in the gable end, a couple of windows and a personal door. HWMNBO has put his foot down and insists on a decent shed not a cheap and cheerful - who am I to argue with such good sense :U

Once the council approval is all sorted, the roller door will most likely be removed and replaced with windows and a door just a little less in width than his mini. No cars in my shed!!!!!!!!

Am not sure about power and lighting yet. I was thinking I might move in and get the feel for it before having the power points and lighting installed - of course I've been avidly reading everyone else's shed and WIPShed posts - great ideas there.

BM - there will most definitely be a shed-christening planned, most definitely :D

Goodies for the shed - I've got a rolling magazine rack to turn into wall shelving and the base can be used for a clamp rack. There's a silky oak notice board that will make a great plane shelf for the wall. The saw till will be going up there as well. I'll most likely need to build something to house the chisels I have too. If there's enough dosh left over, I'll be considering a table saw, jointer, sanding station, bandsaw, drill press, ... you know how it is - oh and timber storage will also be one of the first things to happen - yep, gonna be busy but gonna be so very happy :)

Barry_White
4th January 2007, 08:14 PM
Hi Wendy

Try this number 1800 672 766 I think they are open and can deliver it to Toowoomba.

RufflyRustic
5th January 2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks Barry!:)

echnidna
5th January 2007, 10:55 AM
Looks like you need to start scrounging cheap ply, chipboard or mdf for wall linings. (paint the backs of the sheets before you put them up)

Border boy
5th January 2007, 07:28 PM
[quote]Border Boy - 3 weeks - what a way to learn patience :( I've been trying to learn patience for about 4 years now and it still isn't happening :D Hi Wendy,
My sheds been in the planning stage for a few years as well. Bit the bullet a couple of months ago - learned about patience.
You"ll love your new work/creative space, I know I will :D
I'm Looking toward the fun bit, setting everything up.

Hey Bob, I've searched forums & done a bit of research on lining material, plasterboard seems the cheapest way to go. Probably not ideal for a workshop but still cheap @ less than $10 per square metre(if you diy).

Cheers!!

Waldo
5th January 2007, 09:29 PM
Whoo Yeah! Wendy's getting a she-eed http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

G'day Ruffly,

Woohoo! :2tsup: :brava :clap3: :yippy: :ohyaaa: :clap2: :hooray: :hpydans2: :thewave: :welldone: :kewl: :wtg: :repplus: :wss:

Have I made my point? :D

And Ruffly, the most im portant bit, give us lots of pawn, I love shed pawn. :U

Ross
6th January 2007, 08:28 AM
Wendy

Think about puting the rolla door on the side of the shed and a glass sliding door at the gable end.

This is what I did and if gave me the flexability of being able to move larger projects in and out as well as increasing the air flow and natural light when (not if) required.

A whirlybird in the roof also helped the airflow and cooling.

I know these add to the cost but it is cheaper to get it right the first time.

Ross

RufflyRustic
10th February 2007, 04:33 PM
Well, HWMNBO and I finally ordered my shed today.:D

Here's hoping it will be up and finished by the end of May, including power.

Let's see -
6m x 4 m, 2.7 m wide roller door in gable end,
personal door and two windows
2.4m high :rolleyes:
ceiling insulation :2tsup:
slab and fully installed
$7000

I'm such a happy little vegemite today :D

cheers
Wendy

mickp
10th February 2007, 04:55 PM
bout time you had a real shed Wendy congrats, am wondering though - normally its give & take to get a shed what does your other half want or cant you say here lol

RufflyRustic
10th February 2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks MickP

Geez, why do I owe him anything!! He's the one who bagged the big shed and then threw me out twice!! :((

:wink:

After ordering the shed this morning, we went to check out a second hand ute for him. Typcial, we go just to look and end up walking out having bought another brand new vehicle!!!! :D :rolleyes: :cool:

He got a brand new BT 50 Mazda ute, but I picked passion red as the colour :pointlaugh: We got it for heaps less than we would have bought the older second-hand vehicle!!!!!!

HWMNBO is a very lucky man But, as they say, Happy Wife! :kissyou: Happy Life!! :yippy:

:D :rule:

Oh and the new ute will not be residing the in the new shed!!!!! regardless of what he says :lock:

echnidna
10th February 2007, 06:16 PM
if the ute ends up in his shed thank him sincerely for his gift of the ute to you.

Wood Butcher
10th February 2007, 11:20 PM
WooHoo, BBQ at Wendy's place in May!!!!

RufflyRustic
11th February 2007, 12:55 PM
Too Right!!!!! :2tsup:

JDub
13th February 2007, 09:00 AM
Nice work Wendy....... :2tsup: I will be keeping my eyes peeled for the WIP thread :p :D

David L
13th February 2007, 12:31 PM
Good to hear you are getting your own shed at last Wendy.
You will find that a real boost. Better cover it all with wood dust as soon as possible to discourage intruders with engines.

RufflyRustic
13th February 2007, 12:55 PM
Yep - there will be a fair bit of sawdust, I can promise that one :D

Will be emptying the solar kiln this weekend. Not looking forward to that because it will all be going into my current working area - but, it's all for such a worthy cause - Me :D :D

Wood Butcher
13th February 2007, 12:59 PM
You keeping the kiln for timber storage space? Would fit rather nice in the front corner in front of the new shed?

RufflyRustic
13th February 2007, 10:09 PM
Nah, Dad has already claimed it. :rolleyes: :) I'm trying to get him to rummage through his shed to see what goodies he can tempt me with for the purposes of a swap :D

rodent
17th February 2007, 04:08 AM
dont forget to put a spindizzey on the roof .Put a 12in celing fan in it ,talk about heat and dust removal .In the winter put a board over it .PS put it at the high point in the roof ive seen it put in the lower part (point less) .dont forget well want pics .

RufflyRustic
17th February 2007, 09:48 AM
Hmm, I was kinda hoping not to have a spindizzy on top, but we can always do that if needed. Good to know that putting a board across in winter works - that was one of the main reasons I didn't want a spindizzy.

Pictures are a must - especially when it doesn't happen unless there are pictures :D :D

Cheers
Wendy