PDA

View Full Version : Gmelina Hollow Form/Bowl??

Little Festo
3rd January 2007, 09:14 PM
I'll call this a hollow form - maybe a deep bowl:U. I roughed ot out a little over a year ago out of a fair sized Gmelina (leichardi) blank. The first pic is of the orig roughed out blank. My original intention was to carve quite heavily but on seeing the final shape I thought that maybe the piece would stand on it's own, it felt nice to "caress' after I sanded it so hopfully there might be as customer out there that would feel "enamoured" by the piece too. The next pic is of me posed over the lathe, my wife wanted a photo - thought that I'd share that with you too.

I used a Rolly Munroe hollowing tool to hollow out the form. The Munroe tool CUTS, you can see by the shavings, the gmelina was dry.

Peter

DJ’s Timber
3rd January 2007, 09:20 PM
I quite like that shape, it looks like it will come up very nice once you get it finish

cedar n silky
3rd January 2007, 09:27 PM
Nice work Peter!:)
I love looking into other peoples sheds:D A bit voyeuristic, but it looks like you take turning seriously!!:)
Is that a "stubby" you have?
Might have to get me one of those Munro tools, or at least have a go at fabricating one.
:2tsup:

hughie
4th January 2007, 12:04 AM
Peter,

I'd say that the bowl/hollow form is coming along just fine. Look forward to seeing it finished. :2tsup:
Dont forget the pics...:D

Cedar it aint too difficult to knock up a Munro type cutter.

TTIT
8th January 2007, 10:52 AM
Good to see the Stubby in action! I've got no idea what the Gmelina is like but it looks like it slices beautifully. Look forward to seeing the finished item.:U

ptc
8th January 2007, 11:17 AM
Love the shape.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th January 2007, 04:10 PM
I'm another who likes the form. :)

Nice, simple & well balanced. It'll really show off the timber to advantage. :2tsup: