PDA

View Full Version : collecting redgum

DanP
23rd May 2003, 09:07 PM
I'm going to be collecting Redgum in the local state forest and would like to know how I tell if it is dry or not. I don't have a moisture guage and can't afford to buy one. Should I collect timber that has dried or should I collect green and dry it myself??? :confused:

Any help greatly appreciated :D

Dan

rsser
24th May 2003, 05:31 AM
Hi Dan,

Redgum is prone to cracking while drying in large lumps (like most timbers), so you'll be looking only at small pieces and a lot of waste from forest salvage.

It's certainly better to cut green (assuming you've sorted the legalities), and rough turn green (for bowls etc) or for spindle blanks end-seal and air dry yourself.

Good luck,

Ern

DanP
24th May 2003, 12:22 PM
Ern,

Thanks for that. I was thinking 2' to 3' for pepper mills, etc, so theres no problems getting fallen timber green or dry. Further to that, how do I tell when the timber is dry and what should I seal the ends with??

Dan

rsser
31st May 2003, 07:50 PM
You might be able to find some 3" thick pieces without cracking, though a quick look through my woodpile doesn't give much cause for optimism.

If you cut it green, seal the end grain (woodglue, wax, paint), and let it sit, at a year an inch, it's a game for patience.

An alternative is to pick up redgum fence posts when a fence is coming down, or house stumps. With stumps, though, if it's been damp under the house they'll need some drying.

Without a moisture meter, you can regularly weigh the piece, and when the readings don't change, you've hit EMC.

Stability is important if you're using the stock for pepper grinders, since clearly you don't want size mismatches to emerge between the top and the body.

For drying tips using a microwave, do a google search on rec.crafts.woodturning

Cheers,

Ern

DanP
31st May 2003, 08:28 PM
Ern,

Thanks for your pearls of wisdom. Unfortunately for me most of the fences hereabouts are Colourbond.:mad: Oh well, might have to assist the deterioration of the few timber ones we do have.:D