PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Router???

Dilly
4th January 2007, 12:27 PM
If you did not have a router and were to purchase just one, what would it be??

I'm looking to get a new router that will be a universal as possible, I only want one. The things that come to mind are it weight Vs power, tool capabilities, function capabilities, reliability, ease of use, etc. I don't really want to pay Festool type prices.

I have just read the review in the Australian Woodwork Review and they are leaning towards the DeWalt. Any thoughts or opinions???

All info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dilly

:2tsup:

outback
4th January 2007, 01:01 PM
Triton :2tsup:

Gumby
4th January 2007, 01:14 PM
Best in a router table, the Triton (large).

best all rounder, The Triton 1400W

jaspr
4th January 2007, 01:53 PM
ditto

I_wanna_Shed
4th January 2007, 02:37 PM
If I was buying again I would go for a large Triton - mainly because it will spend most of its time in the router table, and the above table bit changing would save my back and knees. The height winder compatibility and easy adjustment would also be good.

John Saxton
4th January 2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Dilly,fairly popular response to your post and without a doubt the Triton is a popular brand of router of which they produce a couple of,nominally a large router probably best suited for router table usage.

and then...

The smaller one like any small router is ideal for a comfortable hand type of operation.

However before you do decide on the router you want look at where you intend to use it because a hefty router can be tiring if by hand over a protracted period, however a medium sized router that is comfortable to hold and has all the features you wish for will still carry out most of the tasks you want.

May I suggest you do some more search's on this forum for a more in depth liklihood of info on routers...there is reams of info of router purchases and with positive responses.

I have a lot of routers but a given would most likely be the Triton if I was starting out from scratch.

Cheers:)

Dilly
4th January 2007, 04:45 PM
Interesting, thanks people. Just had a quick look at some of the posts on these units and I ask the question, are these an old GMC unit, if so is the quality/accuracy OK??

Any ideas on a good mortice jig to suit??

Stuart
4th January 2007, 04:55 PM
Absolutely nothing to do with GMC design etc - the Triton router design pre-dates the GMC purchase of the company.

Quality / accuracy are all above standard, and the price bracket the Triton routers occupy. There are very likely to be better routers out there, but you will be paying significantly more for them, and unless you plan to physically torture the router (thumbscrews and bamboo under the nails), the Triton will more than satisfy.

One point to qualify - the baby (1400W) Triton is a great all-rounder, but if you only ever plan on handheld work, it is not as good as some other brands (the handles are not low enough to really give fine control.) However, if you want one that will do a good job, both handheld and table mounted, then it is ideal. If the router will spend 90% of its time in the table, then the 2400W Triton is an absolute beast that will exceed your expectations.

echnidna
4th January 2007, 05:06 PM
1 router really doesn't suit all jobs.

You really need a 1/2" router for bigger cuts such as dadoes etc
Small routers are working overtime for these jobs

and a 1/4" router for edges and mouldings.
Because big routers are heavier and more torquey can get very tiring.

I suggest you get a good 1/2" router and a cheap 1/4" Gmc

Just George
4th January 2007, 05:18 PM
Who just wants one router?

I have 6, each has a job and is suited to that job.

If you want a router to put into a table, get the 2400W Triton, if it's to do table and hand held work get the smaller Triton.

I can't do without my Ryobi trimmer, I use it on 95% of all of the jobs that I do.

outback
4th January 2007, 08:20 PM
.............snip................
Any ideas on a good mortice jig to suit??

Rocker's

old_picker
4th January 2007, 11:07 PM
I have 2 a cheap gmc 1200 and triton 1400.

The gmc I have used a lot and it is pretty comfy for hand held work and great value for a cheapie. The depth controls are pretty crap and it is a bit$ to set up. Once set it is smooth and cuts well with good bits. 1/2" or 1/4"

The triton 1400 I have had for only a short time and after an initial glitch, which triton went out of their way to put right, I have found it to be all I felt is lacking in the cheap gmc and it is a great tool. Way above the gmc in ease of setup and accuracy. I use it the table mostly as it is not real comfy for hand held work but I guess that is cos I learnt with the gmc. It has a finger operated trigger and molded hand grips that the triton lacks. But hey the triton handles double as a hieght adjuster and the off on switch is ok when you get used to it.

If you want only one router, get the triton 1400 IMHO the best by far for that price point.

Gwhat
5th January 2007, 10:10 AM
Hi all

This is a question we're asked frequently;it's also a question we ask our suppliers in the US.

In a perfect world, we'd all have 3 routers; Table Mounted Beast, Handheld workhorse and a Trimmer for fine detail work. To suggest candidates for each category.

Table DeWalt 625, build quality, mid-range pricing / Triton TRA001, value for money, all round performer.

Handheld Hitachi TR12, tried and tested / Triton 1400w, looks good but no 1st hand experience.

Trimmer Makita / Maktec seem to have this segment well covered.

A list of Pro's & Con's of all routers would be an interesting topic to address at sometime.

BTW we don't sell routers, but do listen to a lot of users.

Regards

The Woodworker

echnidna
5th January 2007, 10:15 AM
Tr12's brilliant in a table, can't killem even with a power feeder running door stiles single cut full depth

only downside is fixed speed

Spittin Chips
5th January 2007, 10:25 AM
Great thread. Saw one of those Ryobi trimmers the other day at Bunnies. Would love to hear others views on this tool. Makita is a great looking solid tool but too $$$$ for me at present.

old_picker
5th January 2007, 02:13 PM
Never used ryobi trimmers but recent experience with anything branded ryobi has been nothing but cr@p.
My 2c worth

Spittin Chips
5th January 2007, 02:23 PM
They have that feel. Very plastic etc. The old adage applies...You get what you pay for" and sometimes if your lucky like Just George you manage to get a ripper. Lotto

Gumby
5th January 2007, 02:50 PM
Tr12's brilliant in a table, can't killem even with a power feeder running door stiles single cut full depth

Fixed speed would rule it out of any consideration as a table router.

echnidna
5th January 2007, 02:57 PM
why

John Saxton
5th January 2007, 05:15 PM
Fixed speed is OK for narrow bits for trimming passes however a variable router is best suited for table mounting on the premise that if there are going to be larger profile bits employed then the speed needs to be lowered.

Cheers:)

Wild Dingo
6th January 2007, 12:54 AM
Well for table use the Triton is magic... the big buggar that is wouldnt like to use it too much hand held its a hefty sod

I have expereinced a ryobi router and it was a peice of crap

I didnt even know Triton made a smaller router... well I have been away for a time :B

I now have need for a METAL cased trimmer type router for a copycarver Im making can anyone point me in the right direction?.. its got to be metal cased simply due to the stresses that will be put on the case when its fitted to the setup and pushed pulled moved across the wood a plastic cased one would not last a pharts breath!

DJ’s Timber
6th January 2007, 08:16 AM
I now have need for a METAL cased trimmer type router for a copycarver Im making can anyone point me in the right direction?.. its got to be metal cased simply due to the stresses that will be put on the case when its fitted to the setup and pushed pulled moved across the wood a plastic cased one would not last a pharts breath!

Try this (http://www.makita.com.au/product.asp?ContentID=n3701) one for size Shane

Mirboo
6th January 2007, 08:57 AM
I reckon the new one by Lie-Nielsen is pretty good for handheld use. I don't think it would be too good in a table. I did a review of it here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=42732). It is much cheaper than a Festool. Weight versus power is quite good, it weighs only about 210 grams and has as much power as you care to put into it. I've found it to be pretty reliable and easy to use. :2tsup:

sinjin
7th January 2007, 10:05 AM
Just curious if anyone has used Scheer routers?

Harry72
8th January 2007, 01:40 AM
If I win Xlotto I might get to use a Scheer...

Munga
8th January 2007, 07:44 AM
Fine Wood Working issue 189 (latest) gives a review on routers for tables and Triton comes out best. But you do need a smaller one for hand held fiddly bits.

ciscokid
8th January 2007, 10:45 PM
I have a big 3-1/4 hp Porter Cable under my router table. Variable speed and the ability to adjust height of bit from top of table. Wouldn't want to use it by hand though.
For dovetail work with my Leigh jig, I use the venerable Porter Cable 690. Wouldn't swap it for anything.
For even smaller, finer work I bought one of those Bosch pony routers. Like an oversize dremal tool, but offers really nice control. Smooth startup too. Perfect for small hinge mortices and rounding over edges on cabinets too big for the router table.

They work well for me - your mileage may vary. :;

underused
8th January 2007, 11:27 PM
I have a Makita 3612C under the table. The Mak is Basic compared to alot of other models. It has good speed control (a must for under the table IMO), plenty of grunt, and runs smooth. The plunge isnt great (not really an issue under the table) and fine ajustment is very basic. The fence is crap. The best thing about these is you cant kill em, and they keep running smooth.

Also got a bosch trimmer (green) works well, and has plenty of power for a wee thing. Its comfortable and easy to control

Would like a mid size router, so I dont have to take the mak out. Heard the Triton's balance isnt its best point?? Also heard the Dewalt has a weird balance thing happening (the bit isnt in the center of the base)

cheers.

Harry72
9th January 2007, 08:40 AM
I have a big 3-1/4 hp Porter Cable under my router table. Variable speed and the ability to adjust height of bit from top of table. Wouldn't want to use it by hand though.
For dovetail work with my Leigh jig, I use the venerable Porter Cable 690. Wouldn't swap it for anything.
For even smaller, finer work I bought one of those Bosch pony routers. Like an oversize dremal tool, but offers really nice control. Smooth startup too. Perfect for small hinge mortices and rounding over edges on cabinets too big for the router table.

They work well for me - your mileage may vary. :;

We wish we had as much choice/variety as you'ze(note the z!:D).

The plunge isnt great (not really an issue under the table) and fine ajustment is very basic. The fence is crap
Have you removed the plunge springs?(good table mod) The basic fine adjust is one of the best in the biz, its simplicity is what makes it good and the fence is good too... very good compared to most, for what reason don't you like the fence?

MurrayD99
9th January 2007, 11:12 AM

Brilliant indeed. I'll eventually put a Triton in the table (variable and easier height adjustment) and then the TR12 can come out to join the "D" handle Makita (also a great, great machine but not plunge)for handheld work. There are a few used TR8's around - nice light machine....

MurrayD99
9th January 2007, 11:14 AM
Fine Wood Working issue 189 (latest) gives a review on routers ...... .

Oh ho. But will it ship to OZ? Maybe the censors will intercept it at the wharf.:D

MurrayD99
9th January 2007, 11:19 AM
Fixed speed would rule it out of any consideration as a table router.

Well.... that was my reasoning too.... but I came a cross a mint TR12 with no fence or height stop (like it was pre-configured for a table) and got a good price deal. It's just A-OK if you don't use big diameter bits - which suits me so far.

underused
10th January 2007, 02:23 AM
G'day Harry,

I havent taken the springs out the Mak. In the instructions for my woodpecker plunge lift, they recommend they stay in. I'll have to take them out, give it a try. Cheers.

The issue I have with the fence is the short rods mostly. Ive found them to be too short on a number of occasions. It doesnt take much before the fence is only held in place with one of the wing screws, on only one rod. The other has no support. In this situation, and the torque the big Mak can produce, the fence can move slightly. Could just be me not using it right:-:doh:
Cheers.

Harry72
10th January 2007, 11:30 AM
If you got a lift there's no need to remove the springs, removing them just makes adjusting the height easier if your using the fine adjust as your main method of height adjustment.
Yeah the rods are a little short, you could make a sub base with a fence if you need to go further than the rods will allow.

pfred1
27th January 2007, 05:37 AM
Triton

Tritons look all nice and all of that but they do seem rather pricy to me. I get along just fine with my Hitachi M12V for less than half the price.

Gwhat
27th January 2007, 08:30 AM
Tritons look all nice and all of that but they do seem rather pricy to me. I get along just fine with my Hitachi M12V for less than half the price.

Tritons TRA001's seem to be selling around $360 - $400 so where did you get a M12V for <$200?????
Everywhere I look they're $500+++

The Woodworker

Wild Dingo
27th January 2007, 12:26 PM
Try this (http://www.makita.com.au/product.asp?ContentID=n3701) one for size Shane

Well dj I went around to three Bunnings stores on Thursday to do just that... and in each one I found that thing!
http://www.makita.com.au/images/products/N3701_product.jpg
Beaut lookin bit of gear I will say right off... puts the rest to shame as far as solid lookin and feeling :2tsup:

But mate the price!! :o Strewth I only paid $300 for the damned big Triton and yet this little booger is just a smidgen under that! :o $290 for a bloody trimmer??? :C Jeeeeeeezzz!! :~ So after all that that was the one I want and will EVERNTUALLY get one but Im thinking for now one of the cheeper blue plastic versions will do :B And believe me I hate going cheep crap!... I mean how the blazes do they justify that bloody price?... I mean what else does it do? Sing bloody opera in falsetto or what?

http://www.triton.com.au/images/27_t.jpg

I mean this brand new little Triton 5in1 spin saw was cheeper!! :roll:

So I guess now I gots ta ask... does anyone else make an aluminum or steel trimmer that wont make the missus go ballistic when I tell her how much it sets us back? :C Any ideas?

Cheers :2tsup:

oh the reason again for why Im after an aluminum or steel cased one is that Im building a copycarver (http://www.copycarver.com/) since I really am as a newb said recently a total tragic when it comes to workin out the how tos of CNC machine making... so anyway now Im thinking what if I used some rubber between the housing and the clamp that holds it to the carriage? would that save the router if its not ali or steel?... having go the info from him the amount of forces that the router has to take is considerable Id think moving in all directions all beit only a bit at a time still a plastic cased router would soon have some serious problems with cracking in the houseing?

http://www.copycarver.com/images/twofingeruse.jpg

You note the ali trimmer where the two clamps attach? thats where I think a plastic one would crack and break... am I wrong here or seein trouble where possibly it doesnt exist?

Cheers again!

aniceone2hold
29th January 2007, 02:38 AM
Dilly, you have read the reviews and received a wealth of opinions from forum members. The next step is to forget all of that. The most important thing about the router you buy is how it feels in your hands. You need to be comfortable with the controls in both an upright and inverted position.(table mounting) Do not go by ratings, visit a store that stocks any brands you are considering and hold them in your hands. While the big 3+ HP models are great in a table you would quickly tire of trying to wrestle one around by hand. Since you are wanting a single router it should be a plunge, it should accept both 1/4" and 1/2" bits, and it should be in the 2 HP range. It should accept guide bushings and have a nice smooth feel to the plunge mechanism. Do not rule out a brand you have never heard of, or rule out a router because it is made in China or where ever. All of the new factories are in Asia and the quality of some units built there surpasses traditional name brands. There are handy new features such as lighted plugs to show when a unit has power and LED's illuminating the area around the bit. There is also a good deal of junk on the market. The nice thing is when you try the controls and plunge operation with your own hands you can easily tell the difference. I can tell you that Rick Rosendahl of The Router Workshop recently bought an off brand, made in China router from a local supplier for $36 CDN. This is a 2 HP plunge router with the lights and all the important features; it has performed well under shop testing! The world is changing but the best judge of what is right for you is still YOU!

Wild Dingo
29th January 2007, 12:00 PM
And if youve got a way of adapting a machine ex USA, CAN or where the hell else you can get one cheeper for go for yer klacker!... remember not only are their plugs nothing like ours but also their ratings are lower than ours... so what may work over there may more likely go "pfffzzzzzit" here you will need a converter of some discription

But good point about trying them :2tsup: ... but on that point most businesss have these things and other hand held power tools on a very short leash and so actually holding them let alone trying for handling in the shop is not gonna happen! Oh you can pick them up... but thats it... trying to move it around to "get a feel" for the thing before you buy it is out of the question totally.

Not takin you to task mate just adding to your post is all :; :2tsup:

sinjin
30th January 2007, 09:57 PM
I have had a few Routers over the years. Mostly for seriously heavy work.
The machine i still use for heavy routing is a german machine called a Scheer.
I also have 2 Elu MOF 11's they were also designed for very heavy work.
I have a MOF 96 for light owrk and i have a Makita laminate trimmer.
I would like to get a mid size heavy router and i have read about quite a few reviews and the Triton seems to get the nod quite a bit. I guess i'm showing my age a little but i really feel good machines have not developed very much at all. Some of the older Elu machines has beautiful rise and fall and were just very accurate machines. Some of the pieces of crap you see in the tool shops these days leave me a little wondering. The Triton looks good but i have never used one but i do wonder about the center of gravity with the handles so high. As for how good some of even the best of new machines are i have a very simple test i do before i buy a machine. And that is to simply put in a large diameter cutter i use and start the machine. The Scheer machine it won't bother in the least as it has 3 main bearings on the central shaft. I have done this to mates makita and Hitachi heavy machines and it shakes the crap out of them. So i do wonder how far many of these machines have really come on the heavy machine side.
The Makita laminate trimer i bought purely on word of mouth thats the one to get. For the money i suppose its ok but once again i feel here is a machine that is regarded as being it and abit. And the rise and fall is an unscrew tap the height arrangement.
I would like to see some of the newer machines come to Aust. Bosch Makita Hitachi etc. The units where you can change the base to become plunge or fixed base machine.
I know just about all these machines around will last for ages but they just seem not to have progressed a great deal.

graemecarson
31st January 2007, 03:24 PM
I have to totally agree with Gwhat - and not for the first time. Why - because I have the big Triton in my table (along with Grahames Incra TSLS & Wonderfence of course) and the TR12 for other work. I haven't yet bothered with a trimmer but for quality I'd go Makita and for price - either GMC, Ozito or Ryobi. Ozito???? you say - just look at the price and the 3 year replacement warranty. If low use and low price is your go - go Ozito - but check accuracy before you commit.

simso
12th February 2007, 10:10 AM
What router to buy hmmm. I have three And will swear by all units. In my router bench I have a makita 3612 1/2 unit have had it for about 10 years and Its never missed a beat but at about 350 dollars is it worth it. I have a makita trimming router 1/4 inch, nice little compact unit light weight and fantastic to use for hand trimming routing ect but at a cost of about 320 is it worth it. And last but not least I have a ozito 1/4 inch unit mounted in my cnc centre. Cost 59 bucks and its done 185 hours of routing and it runs true as, is this worthn the 59 bucks "absolutley". I cannot knock this unit, not for its price. Howw many people out there have run there routers for 180 plus hours and it still works fine. Yayyy
Okay side note Im a firm believer of you get what you pay for, but I also started out my working career with the cheapest power tools I could buy. Eg go to supercheap autos buy there range for like 150 bucks and you have all your power tools in one hit. The n as a tool breaks down stuffs out ect buy the better qulity unit to replace it with, because clearly you have a requirement for the item. Okay thats my 10c enjoy
Steve

floobyduster
12th February 2007, 10:59 AM
Hi Wild Dingo

Perhaps this one will do what you're after for only $98 :)

Check it out at http://www.tradetools.com.au/ (http://www.tradetools.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Category=SXM90J1&Product=LY0608)

Template Tom
23rd February 2007, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=Dilly;437215]If you did not have a router and were to purchase just one, what would it be??

I'm looking to get a new router that will be a universal as possible, I only want one. The things that come to mind are it weight Vs power, tool capabilities, function capabilities, reliability, ease of use, etc. I don't really want to pay Festool type prices.

Dilly. The consensus of opinion is go for the Triton. I have one that is permanently placed in the Router Table. I believe that was what it was designed for and it works perfectly. But I do believe if you are to purchase only one router it must also be suitable for use in the plunge mode as well as using it for table work. I know I will receive postings saying that the Triton is designed for plunge routing as well.

When the router was produced a few years ago I contacted Triton and commented on the fact that it did was not supplied with a means of fitting template guides. Also the design of the side fence attachment was not suitable for inserting 'Skis'. They have solved the template guide issue (Partly) by introducing a new base plate where template guides can be inserted.

Unfortunately the set of guides were imported from USA a copy of another brand, and they are not a metric set. The other problem I have with them is the largest guide will restrict the size of cutters you are to use. Also you require to remove the template guide when you wish to change cutters. I know for a fact that the use of the template guides are not very popular with the majority of router users so this may not be an issue with them. From my personal experience I consider the Template guides as the most important accessory suitable for the router, there are many router projects that can be achieved with greater safety using templates and Guides.

Over the past two years I have attempted to use some of the various 'Blogs' available and I have posted some pics showing the various projects I have produced mainly with the router in the plunge mode with the aid of templates and template guides.

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/main.php?g2_itemId=12542&g2_page=1&

http://tomodonnell.bigblog.com.au/

http://routermagic.blogspot.com/

http://templatetom.wordpress.com/2006/12/21/routing-new-projects/

http://theonlineauthor.com/templatetom/

Dilly I hope I am not too late presenting this posting as I have been of-line for a few months.

I have just read the review in the Australian Woodwork Review and they are leaning towards the DeWalt. Any thoughts or opinions???

Another great router but ask yourself will it do all I want to do Is it suitable for use in the table and can I use it with ease in the plunge mode and finally are template guides readily accessible for use especially the 40mm diameter guide

Best of luck in your search
Tom

Gwhat
23rd February 2007, 10:30 AM

Best of luck in your search
Tom

I'm always asking our US suppliers as to their opinions as to the best router, they always seem to favour the DeWalt 625. An interesting comment made was..... How many Tritons do you see on building sites vs. how many DeWalts, Hitachis, Makitas etc.

My conclusion is that for the weekend warrior the Triton is great, but for anything more 'commercial' any one of the others would be better. That said the recent review of the baby Triton in FWW mag is quite impressive.

Feedback from users of the baby would be interesting reading.

BTW we don't sell routers nor do we have any affiliation etc etc.

Regards

The Woodworker.

underused
23rd February 2007, 11:48 AM
Got to agree with Gwhat there.
I reckon the DeWalt 625 is a great all rounder..probably the closest copy of the Elu 177e.
I think the european versions of the 625 were being made in Italy, the same factory as the 177e was made in.
The American version (almost all dewalt usa tools) are made in Mexico.

Lignum
23rd February 2007, 11:55 AM
I think the european versions of the 625 were being made in Italy, the same factory as the 177e was made in.

My 177e was made in Switzerland

underused
23rd February 2007, 11:57 AM
Later versions of elu routers were made in Itay

Edit: Lig, Your Elu would have been an earlier version. You can read which type it is on the rating plate.
I think from type 4 on the rating plate, they were made in Italy.
Most people swear by the earlier versions.

gpsmith
23rd February 2007, 03:01 PM
I agree with what most people have said about finding the router that feels right in your hands. My first router was the Bosch POF 50 about 26 years old now and I have given it a thrashing admittedly the thrashing was a few years ago - I have only had to replace the collet once and had the switch replaced. My next router was the makita 3600B - 20+ years ago -this has not missed a beat and has been used in a triton workbench and freehand for a variety of jobs and timbers again it has been rock solid. I recently bought a dewalt 625 - made in Italy - supposed to be the Elu ???? replacement - I wanted the variable speed for some bigger router bits - everything works well but have not had it long enough or used it enough to form a better opinion. My last router is a hitachi trimmer - could not resist the ebay price but I have not used it in anger yet.
What does this mean? For me it must fell right in your hands and use them wisely within their limitations.
regards,

TermiMonster
23rd February 2007, 04:36 PM
I've got the Elu MOF96/02, made in Switzerland. 900W. A bit small for workshop use. I use it on the road, and I have no regrets...light enough for doors etc, but powerful enough for bigger stuff, sometimes. Would buy another anytime.

TM

Woodlee
10th March 2007, 01:54 AM
If you did not have a router and were to purchase just one, what would it be??

All info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dilly

:2tsup:

I'm also looking for a router for my router table and consensus seems to point to the Triton 2400w for this purpose which is probably the way I will go for this set up .I have a Triton RTA300 and stand which I bought s/h for $100.00 ,and I beleive the Triton router fits nicely .
But I also want one for hand held use so I'm looking at a 1/2" Maktec which is made by Makita or sold by them .
Has any one had any experience with these?
As far as trimmers go Ive only looked at the Makita range and the price I got locally was over $300.00.

routermaniac
10th March 2007, 08:04 AM
Got a Maktec on ebay a little while ago for $99 :D . For that price its pretty good, but I wouldnt pay $200 for it, build quality does not compare to the makitas.

BTW for a handheld router its a little heavy you may do better with the 3260. I have a few Makita routers and I must say for handheld use I like the little one.

If however you will only have 1 router for handheld use and need the 1/2 inch collet stick to the 3600BR or 3612 s/h. They're solid routers and will not disappoint (will cost a little more than what you will be paying for the maktek on ebay).

regards

Marios

Krazee
10th March 2007, 10:25 AM
Woodlee,

I have both a Makita 3612 and an equivalent size Maktec. No comparison. When you read Maktec don't think 'like a Makita' think just another cheapie.

Geoff

Woodlee
10th March 2007, 11:11 AM
Woodlee,

I have both a Makita 3612 and an equivalent size Maktec. No comparison. When you read Maktec don't think 'like a Makita' think just another cheapie.

Geoff

Thanks for the info .Im watching a Maktec on Ebay at the moment for $143.00 might give it a miss.

dazzler
10th March 2007, 01:00 PM
Hi Dilly

Not sure if you have bought your router yet.

When I was faced with this problem I bought 2 x Ryobi ERT 2100 routers which were about $145 each but have heard they can be found cheaper.

One lives in the router table full time (and has been modified for height adjusting and bit removal from on top of the table;

see here: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28207&highlight=spring )

And the other is available for freehand stuff.

With the woodpeckers extreme collet extension I have all bases covered for about the cost of 1 triton.

Having said that i did have the big triton before these and it was really great in the table, but not so for me handheld.

good luck

dazzler

underused
10th March 2007, 01:08 PM
For handheld use, also have a good look at the fence quality, and if there are any add on jigs etc available. Thats why Elu was such a success (sounding like a broken record:rolleyes:) great build quality, good fence, along with numerous jigs to complement it.
Clearly, Triton have come up with the goods regarding under the table work. I havent had my hands on one, how does the smaller one perform handheld?

Walnutty
18th March 2007, 11:10 AM
Decisions, decisions....I have others also, but am very pleased with the orange ones.

WN-:)

Template Tom
9th September 2007, 10:16 PM
There is no doubt in my mind the Triton router is the most suitable for use in the router table with all the explainations listed above.

But if you wish an all-round router then Makita 3612C is an excellent router.

One of the disadvantages I find with the Triton in the hand held position is the lack of template guides. Before you go off at me I am well aware of the guides that have been added as an after thought as they were not available when it was first introduced. The set requires positioning a new router base to hold the guides and they are in Imperial sizes and the largest diameter is not large enough. This will restrict the size of the largest cutter that can be used. also every time you wish to change cutters the guide has to be removed.

Just as a point of interest the Hitachi Template guides will fit the Triton.
Tom

gardenworm
11th February 2008, 10:52 PM
Who just wants one router?

I have 6, each has a job and is suited to that job.

If you want a router to put into a table, get the 2400W Triton, if it's to do table and hand held work get the smaller Triton.

I can't do without my Ryobi trimmer, I use it on 95% of all of the jobs that I do.
A newbe to this whole wood working thing , I have seen plung routers at Bunnings here in Rockhampton but what are trimers used for ?
can a trimer be used as a normal router ?
I hope someone can help me out here . I am TOTALLY new to this router tool

Rickster
12th February 2008, 02:44 AM
If I'm not mistaken a trimmer is a portable/handheld router. It should be smaller and lighter than a regular router. I have a trimmer. I might consider using that underneath a router table as I will never route hardwoods

rayintheuk
12th February 2008, 05:39 AM
I've had the TRA001 for many years and the MOF001 since it came out. Prior to the MOF001, I used the TRA001 handheld without any problems at all, other than it was a bit "tippy" on my Leigh D4 Dovetail Jig.

Not only is the MOF001 not tippy, it's perfect for use with the Leigh jig because, amongst other things, it accepts Leigh's Variable Guide Bush set without further adapters. Both routers will also take Porter-Cable style guide bush sets.

I did reviews of both, the TRA001 first, then a comparison with the MOF001. They're here (http://www.raygirling.com/triton14.htm) if they help at all.

Ray.

lesmeyer
12th February 2008, 10:14 PM
Ray,
I do agree. The MOF001 is a great router and I also use it with the Leigh jig. Because of the preciseness of the router, the dovetails are of an excellent quality when made with the Leigh jig. The TRA001 now stays permanently in the table.
Les

hcim
1st June 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm planning to buy a quality Router for table mount as well as 'hand held'. However, I have not much option here in Indonesia :C !!!

Some available Router sold here are Makita, Maktec, and HITACHI. After a month of searching and browsing, my ONLY option is Hitachi - M12SA2 .
Seeing the picture on internet, it looks okey and I think I should be able to handle it. But doubt myself after I went to the shop and have a look the actual router....:o.

Can anyone suggest, would it be difficult for hand-held ?
How about using it for a router table, would it be difficult for adjustment, bit changing etc !??

Any advise ? :?

rayintheuk
1st June 2009, 07:25 PM
Some available Router sold here are Makita, Maktec, and HITACHI. After a month of searching and browsing, my ONLY option is Hitachi - M12SA2 .
Seeing the picture on internet, it looks okey and I think I should be able to handle it. But doubt myself after I went to the shop and have a look the actual router....:o.

Can anyone suggest, would it be difficult for hand-held ?
How about using it for a router table, would it be difficult for adjustment, bit changing etc !??

Any advise ? :?
Firstly, the router seems to be single speed - never a good idea for such a large motor. It means that - in spite of the size of the router - you'll be quite restricted in the size of cutter you can safely use.

Secondly, it's heavier than the large Triton router and many will say that the Triton is a bit cumbersome for hand-held use, although great in a table. I've not had any problems using a big Triton hand-held, but the Triton has the undoubted advantage of the extendable metal baseplate, so good for edge-profiling work. Heavy routers are at a disadvantage for hand-held work involving edge-profiling, because - by definition - more than half of the router overhangs the workpiece, making tipping a real possibility without some form of stabilisation (like the Triton uses). This also renders it unsuitable for use with the majority of conventional dovetail jigs.

The router base has one straight edge, a style I avoid at all costs, preferring a circular base every time. I appreciate that this is a personal preference, but it is based on many years of routing experience, having tried both styles.

For table use, you will not be able to use most of the larger-diameter bits, particularly horizontal panel-raising ones, due to not being able to vary the speed. I suppose that you could use a speed controller, but you will also lose power that way. The spindle lock looks a little flimsy in the (single-sheet) "user manual" link I found and all bit-changing when in the table will require access from below.

In conclusion - I wouldn't buy it. It doesn't have variable speed and nothing else puts it apart from many other cheaper models.

Ray.

hcim
2nd June 2009, 04:41 PM
Firstly, the router seems to be single speed - never a good idea for such a large motor. It means that - in spite of the size of the router - you'll be quite restricted in the size of cutter you can safely use.

Secondly, it's heavier than the large Triton router and many will say that the Triton is a bit cumbersome for hand-held use, although great in a table. I've not had any problems using a big Triton hand-held, but the Triton has the undoubted advantage of the extendable metal baseplate, so good for edge-profiling work. Heavy routers are at a disadvantage for hand-held work involving edge-profiling, because - by definition - more than half of the router overhangs the workpiece, making tipping a real possibility without some form of stabilisation (like the Triton uses). This also renders it unsuitable for use with the majority of conventional dovetail jigs.

The router base has one straight edge, a style I avoid at all costs, preferring a circular base every time. I appreciate that this is a personal preference, but it is based on many years of routing experience, having tried both styles.

For table use, you will not be able to use most of the larger-diameter bits, particularly horizontal panel-raising ones, due to not being able to vary the speed. I suppose that you could use a speed controller, but you will also lose power that way. The spindle lock looks a little flimsy in the (single-sheet) "user manual" link I found and all bit-changing when in the table will require access from below.

In conclusion - I wouldn't buy it. It doesn't have variable speed and nothing else puts it apart from many other cheaper models.

Ray.

Many thanks for your kind advice Ray!
You've covered most of the downside that I need to know, regarding the usability, stability etc.

I'll prefer to buy the one with variable speed (which is M12V2 in this case), ... unfortunately it's NOT available here. As I mentioned previously that finding a quality router is hopeless here in Indonesia. (Personally I don't really like the Hitachi model, BUT I have not much options). - I've just check with several hardware shop, and they don't have any Triton router. -

I'm working in Jakarta-Kota and near my office there is an area called Lindesteves and Glodok, where most of the main suppliers and distributor of hardware and tools are. Sadly, If you ask for a medium size router... most of them will offer Makita or Hitachi. Not to mention the model are very limited as well.
Most of them will ONLY have:

- Makita (2 or 3 models max.)
- Hitachi (M12SA2 model ONLY)
- Ryobi (several models)
- Maktec (one has 1 model)
- various trimmer from different brand

So I guess, I need to order from overseas to have a proper one :(.

Thanks.

sinjin
4th June 2009, 09:01 AM
Scheer.....if you can afford one.

Black Bear
4th June 2009, 09:44 AM
I have a Makita 1/2" router, about 5 years old. When changing bits the neck seems to have two pressures when undoing and doing up. This is a pest at times, especially when I use the 1/4" reducer collet.

Is this normal for routers, or can it be fixed?

I use this router in a bench at all times, upside down.

rayintheuk
4th June 2009, 07:34 PM
I have a Makita 1/2" router, about 5 years old. When changing bits the neck seems to have two pressures when undoing and doing up. This is a pest at times, especially when I use the 1/4" reducer collet.

Is this normal for routers, or can it be fixed?
If I understand you correctly, this is normal behaviour for the often-called "self-release" design of collet. The second bite is required to lift the insert slightly to complete the release of the bit. Tightening, however, should be one smooth pressure, not two. Remove the collet nut assembly from the shaft and thoroughly clean, but do NOT separate the internal collet sleeve from the nut.

Ray.

Black Bear
5th June 2009, 10:25 AM
If I understand you correctly, this is normal behaviour for the often-called "self-release" design of collet. The second bite is required to lift the insert slightly to complete the release of the bit. Tightening, however, should be one smooth pressure, not two. Remove the collet nut assembly from the shaft and thoroughly clean, but do NOT separate the internal collet sleeve from the nut.

Ray.

You deciphered my description exactly, Ray, Thank you. At least it is not a fault. I will do as you suggest.

clinkedovernail
1st August 2009, 03:18 AM
hey mate
Here in UK Tend seem to be the daddy if not of routers then routing fullstop ,they have an endless range of cutters and accessories I myself have the trend T11 1/2" router which spends most of its time in the router table and I have recently run around 40lm of T&G for some panel gates I was ive made and its also ergonomic enough to be handled easily out of the table,Does Triton have a monopoly on routers in Aus ? as it seems to be the only make that seems to be pushed on your forum,It didnt fair well on reviews in UK.
Happy routing
Nick:2tsup: