PDA

View Full Version : Junk Mail

Zed
4th January 2007, 12:42 PM
Hey There,

I have a sign on my mailbox that sez in 1 inch letters "No Junk Mail" This morning I caught a middle aged IMBECILE leaving her paper rubbish in my mailbox. I said to her "Cant you read ?" to which she replied "Oh, this isnt Junk Mail its from my CHURCH" I had to INSIST (almost rudely) that I DIDNT WANT HER CRAP before she would take her garbage with her. :(( How can you argue with an imbecilic moron like that ? Ferk off with your religious supersticious poppycock!!! :(( :(( :(( :((

Whats the deal with respect to the law on Junk Mail ? Is there anything I can do about it? I must get at least 20 pieces of crap in my mailbox each week!!!

I wish they'd all suffocate in thier own paper!

Cheers
Zed

Harry72
4th January 2007, 12:47 PM
Need an extra sign... No religious crap either!

Gumby
4th January 2007, 12:50 PM
And Gumby spake unto the monkey, saying....

There is a code of conduct applicable to the professional letter box droppers which says that they shall not drop into letter boxes marked 'No Junk mail'. They have an Association you can complain to.

The one you had sounds like it's just somebody doing their own on behalf of the church and they aren't subject to the code. It doesn't mean that they should ignore your sign though.

here endeth the lesson. :)

outback
4th January 2007, 01:00 PM
Are we supposed to bow at the alter of plastecine now? :yourock2: :bday3:

Gra
4th January 2007, 01:08 PM
if they have a reply paid envelope, atatch a brick and post back.....

if it is just flyers, try sending it back to sender, or deliver it to the manager of the store it came from and complain to them, if you get no help escalate until you get someone who can do something about it..

Generally become s s@#t stirer.. No great stretch for you there I would say

AlexS
4th January 2007, 01:35 PM
...They have an Association you can complain to.

They are really scared of this association, as it has been known to thrash offenders to within an inch of their mailbox using a piece of wet junk mail.

As I'm usually in the workshop and can see the mailbox, I usually ask them which part of "No Junk Mail" they don't understand, and make sure they come back and retrieve their rubbish.

I find it's best to do this in "negative shouting" mode; ie speak softly & calmly, but with a mildly homicidal look in your eyes.

Dangermouse
4th January 2007, 01:47 PM
I find it's best to do this in "negative shouting" mode; ie speak softly & calmly, but with a mildly homicidal look in your eyes.Amen. speak softly and carry a chainsaw. :punching:
Got a bit cranky last week about a similar incident - some twit put some religious cr@p on my car windscreen. Wouldnt have minded but the bustard split the wiper rubber in the process. :fit::rant::rant2:

echnidna
4th January 2007, 02:15 PM
yet when yer live out in the sticks

ya miss the junk mail. :D

all I get is crap bout milking machines and mastitis ointment. :?

I miss the hardware store junk mail. :oo:

womble
4th January 2007, 03:29 PM

yes, you do miss catalogues when you dont get them every day :screwy:

DavidG
4th January 2007, 03:34 PM

The answer is simple. Everyone collect your junk mail and forward it to echnidna. :;

masoth
4th January 2007, 03:41 PM
I have a sign at my door asking for "No soliciting" - you'd be amazed at the responses I get from the clowns who still knock.:(( :(( :((

soth

womble
4th January 2007, 03:44 PM
I have a sign at my door asking for "No soliciting" - you'd be amazed at the responses I get from the clowns who still knock.:(( :(( :((

soth

maybe they think if they're not a solcitor then its ok? :doh:

journeyman Mick
4th January 2007, 03:45 PM
I was under the impression that if you have a "no junk mail" sign on your letter box that it's illegal for anyone other than Australia Post to put stuff in there. Maybe Major Panic or Bob Willson can fill us in.

Mick (who's gotten around the problem by not having a mail box:p )

MajorPanic
4th January 2007, 09:47 PM
All mail that goes through Australia Post MUST BE DELIVERED BY LAW (Commonwealth Communications Act). This includes UMS (Unaddressed Mail Service) But... we try & do as the customer requests...... EXCEPT..... Community Notices. This includes Election Material & notices from utility companies, water, electricity, council ect.

Others can be prosecuted for putting crap in your letterbox if you have a notice on it......... in QLD anyway.

Terry B
4th January 2007, 10:10 PM

Likewise. All I get is the local free paper.
I do get my share at work and file it in the round filing cabinet unopened. shame about the waste of paper.

Honorary Bloke
4th January 2007, 11:07 PM
An interesting thread from my perspective. In the U.S., no one other than a Postal Service letter carrier is permitted to place any sort of material in your mailbox. If the letter carrier discovers it there whilst making deliveries, he usually turns it over to the Postal Inspectors who deal with the offenders. Even our local neighborhood newsletter being delivered to mailboxes got us in trouble until I made a side-arrangement with the neighborhood letter carrier to look the other way. :wink:

It isn't that the Postal Service is protecting us, mind you, but they are adament about collecting their postage for anything that goes in a mail box. You may also be interested (or not) to know that mail box size, height, and distance from kerb are also regulated in the suburbs so that all mail can be delivered without the carrier leaving his vehicle.

savage
4th January 2007, 11:58 PM
I caught a middle aged IMBECILE - How can you argue with an imbecilic moron like that ?

Gee, Zed it looks like you may have answered your own question, in that if this person is an imbecile there is a good chance they can not read. So they are told to deliver the "mail" and they do just that!...:doh: Just my view, it's a good chance we are both right.:2tsup:

Iain
5th January 2007, 07:54 AM
Like Echnidna, we get the Cowpile weekly and other assorted treatments for mysterious bovine ailments.
Once though we had a 4WD pull up, driver alights, opens gate, drives in, gets out, closes gate and proceeds the 60 metres odd up our driveway.
I saw the whole tribe and assumed it was someone coming to inspect a horse, no such luck, they all piled out and announced they were from the Bumpkin Brethren or whatever for a few seconds before they got the short shove.
They are bloody keen to get the numbers up.

Tiger
5th January 2007, 08:13 AM
I find the solicitors :rolleyes: far worse than the junk mail distributors. At least the junk mailers don't cause much interruption. Try this, next time the distributors of junk mail come, stand outside and once they arrive, grab all the junk mail and immediately tear it up in front of them (with a huge maniacal grin) and ask them if they have any more stuff you can rip up. That particular distributor probably won't come within 50 metres of you again.

Ah, wouldn't it be good if we could recylce the wasted paper back into wood that we could use in the workshop :wink: .

echnidna
5th January 2007, 08:27 AM
There is always paper mache furniture

don't laugh its been done on a commercial basis. :oo:

see here
http://www.antics-nana.com/html_fr/catalogue/produits/p31.html

so maybe junk mail is a resource

Spittin Chips
5th January 2007, 09:19 AM
http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/litter/faq.htm contains some further reading about whats legal etc in NSW. Looks like accusing them of littering is about the only redress us private citizens have. Interesting to read nothing can be placed under wiper blades...its littering. Will now search for Vic laws. Chances are they are too busy looking for dripping taps to worry about junk mail

Spittin Chips
5th January 2007, 09:27 AM
EPA Victoria has a small section...as suspected

Junk mail
Advertising material must be distributed according to the law. At home, all mail deliveries should be left either under the door or in a letterbox.
If your letterbox has a 'no junk mail' label (or equivalent), junk mail may not be placed in it. Unwanted advertising material should be reported to the Distributions Standards Board (1800 676 136).

Iain
5th January 2007, 09:29 AM
Car park drops are illegal too, no crap ubnder wiper blades, doesn't seem to work though.

Cliff Rogers
5th January 2007, 12:32 PM
'Tis funny how some things annoy some poeple. :cool:

Bin it, ignore it & get on with your life, you'll live longer. :D