PDA

View Full Version : space for a bandsaw

jow104
24th May 2003, 05:32 AM
My workshop is not suitable to install a bandsaw with other machinery already positioned.
Do you think it feasible to put down a concrete slab in the garden and purchase a cheap wooden shed (from DIY outlets) and just install a bandsaw inside.(cut side openings to let any lengths escape)
If other members have used this proposition what would be the minimum size shed to purchase.

Shane Watson
24th May 2003, 04:56 PM
Stoppers idea might seem sarcastic, but it ain't.....Thats how I have my bandsaw setup...on wheels...Plus my drillpress...Not to mention my combo saw (minimax Lab30) my stroke sander.....get the idea...it works! ;)

John Saxton
24th May 2003, 10:28 PM
Got a wheel kit for my 18" Jet last week(Wished I'DA done it sooner) and the practible means of being able to move your gear around makes sense and more so as you get older or if space in your shed/shop is restrictive.

The sense of freedom this offers with lockable castors allows for also rethinking of placement for your own needs as they may well change over time.

The purchase of a bandsaw will not only offer up another range of opportunities within your woodwork, but will also give you the freedom of choice and once you have one you'll wonder how you ever did without one! If you have a minimal space for having one of these(they dont take up that much space) then your suggestion may well be the path you need to look at it.

Cheers:)

DaveInOz
26th May 2003, 05:05 PM
Doorstop,

Didn't your Mum ever tell you the story of the little boy that cried 'sarcasm', or was it 'wolf' ........... or 'dinner'. Whatever :D

JohnM
26th May 2003, 11:42 PM
Hi
I have fitted wheels to several bits of gear. Great to be able to move into the sun on a cool winter's morn. I don't use lockabe wheels, just mount them so they just touch the floor in front of the legs.Lift the other end by a suitable handle and wheel away.
When lowered the machine is sitting on the original legs ready to go. Set up just like a bag trolley.