PDA

View Full Version : Timber Sealer

pwill
4th January 2007, 10:43 PM
I know that there are a few threads re the wax type end grain sealer which was marketed by Mobil. I use the past tense because Mobil no longer have it as a product. I chased them up today and was told that a company H&R in Melbourne now market the stuff..at a price of course.
Does anyone know any source of a wax type sealer other than Mobil(Ex) Shell or H&R. Am currently using PVA glue diluted but believe wax types of sealers are the best. Am just cutting up a small (see pics) tree and have another three waiting processing.
Any info would be appreciated.
Phill

Designsync
4th January 2007, 11:13 PM
Gday Phill,

Went through the same think about 2 months ago....check out this thread. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=40338

If that link doesn't work the best and cheapest commercial product is BP Log End Sealer worth about $105 for a 20 litre drum. Call your local BP depot, they should be able to help.

PVA glue works OK buts becomes expensive if doing heaps of work - as you probably already know.

These's heaps of other ways eg bees wax and gum turps, packing foam and turps, but I've found the most economical, lung friendly and easiest way is the log end sealer.

Hope this helps.

reddog
4th January 2007, 11:25 PM
check out new england woodturning has his own brew and it works for me
rob& nick day ph:02 67231350

ubeaut
5th January 2007, 08:43 AM
Most of the commercial timber sellers (who have turning blanks) use paraffin wax. It's cheap and works brilliantly.

I have some special blanks that were waxed about 12 yrs ago and still as good as the day I got them. Even after 52deg on mazanine floor (where they're stored) in factory yesterday.

Cheers - Neil :)

rsser
5th January 2007, 11:22 AM
+1 for the wax. Bit hard to process big lumps though.