PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using GMC SMS250LS slide saw?

davo
24th May 2003, 07:58 PM
I'm looking for a low cost sliding mitre saw and found this one on the GMC web site

http://www.gmcompany.com/28_sms250ls.jpg

Wondering if anyone has used it and how they find it?

kenmil
24th May 2003, 08:57 PM
I have that saw, without the laser function. Done a lot of work with it and I am very happy with it.:D Do you want to buy mine ?

davo
24th May 2003, 09:32 PM
What would you like to replace it with Ken?

John Saxton
24th May 2003, 10:19 PM
and why?

kenmil
24th May 2003, 11:45 PM
I bought it for cutting the framing for my workshop, which it did with ease. Now I have it in my workshop, (photo attached) & I would look to replace it with a smaller, but more expensive saw, such as a Bosch or Dewalt. It's in good nick and has a brand new blade in it. The dust collector bag hit the rubbish bin shortly after I got it, but otherwise it's a good unit. Selling it is a bit of a spur of the moment thing really. I have thought about it, but your post prompted me. Anyway, if you are in Melbourne and you are interested, drop me a line. If not, no problem.:)

davo
25th May 2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks Ken... I'll keep your offer in mind. Looks like your unit is nicely set up there. Haven't seen the unit in the flesh yet, nor know the new price. I'm in northern NSW... will ring around.

Just read your other post about GMC in this thread

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1792

... your comments are encouraging.

Have seen the Ryobi CSS1000 (for $299) which looks OK and other people in the above thread seemed satisfied with. But the demo unit I saw (which came straight out of the box) had a sticking point in the slide action about 50mm from the fence. Maybe it would go away in time but I think it would annoy me when trying to do accurate cuts or fine work. The single sliding arm also concerned me - wondered how that would wear after a few years use.

Trouble is I looked at the Makita's, Hitachi's and a Metabo (which had the smoothest action of all) - all about 4 times the price. They spoilt me. But I've made a list of my projects for the foreseeable future and a budget unit should do the job. I'd just like to buy the best budget unit available! :)