PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished my steady

dai sensei
5th January 2007, 08:47 PM
Finally found the time to make my lathe center steady today. Basic design based on those made by other forum members, but I wanted to be able to split it so I didn’t have to remove the lathe end stock to fit it. Worked in theory, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to get it under the piece being turned, made it a bit big :- .

It’s made with 3 layers, the inner one plywood, both outer layers MDF (all left over scraps). Wheels are from a pair of skates I got for $3 at an auction and it supports pieces from 180mm down to 12mm diameter.

Now I can finish the pepper grinders and that vase I was planning.

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th January 2007, 01:02 AM
Good idea, splitting it, that's one thing that annoys me about mine.

I wonder if for my next one it'd be better to do the same sort of thing, only split vertically, or add a hinge & lock to the bottom so the bottom half could be laid flat? Now the ol' grey matters churning... no simply dropping off to sleep for this li'l black duck tonight.

Gil Jones
6th January 2007, 06:56 AM
Good looking steady rest, Neil!!
I like the split circle idea.

DJ’s Timber
6th January 2007, 07:56 AM
Nice design Neil

hughie
6th January 2007, 01:03 PM
Neil,

Excellent idea, so much so I'm gonna dont it to mine. Obvious now that you shown it :U

dai sensei
6th January 2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I used it for the first time today on my vase. Lucky it was split, although I couldn't get it under with the end stock in place, I did without taking the vase out of the headstock. The vase flange is 350mm dia and wouldn't fit through the steady in one piece.

rodent
7th January 2007, 02:23 AM
Sounds like its time to start making mk2 and im sure we would all like too see picks of that too.ps looks great ill have to finish mine now.

TTIT
8th January 2007, 10:39 AM
Clever thinking Neil :U If I ever get around to making one I'll definitely keep your split system in mind. Problem is that I usually don't get around to these things until I actually need them - by which time I'm in a hurry and just bodgie something temporary up instead!:B ah well!:U