PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser or planer?

exchalkie
5th January 2007, 09:43 PM
G'day Fellas
Can I please have your advice about whether to buy a planer, a thicknesser, or a combination machine. Which is the most useful? Would changing a combination planer/thicknesser drive you mad?
Thanks
David

Doughboy
5th January 2007, 09:55 PM
Tell you what Exchalky you buy me a combo machine and I will let you know in a few months if changing it back and forth drives me mad!!:; :D

I reckon if space is a premium (as it is with most backyard sheds) then make the compromise and get a combo, if not then go both.

Pete

Gumby
5th January 2007, 10:24 PM
We have covered this a lot but the criterea are :

1. Budget
2. Space
3. Use

In an ideal world, definitely two separate machines are preferable. But many have a combo to save on space and money.

A combo like the ML 392 will set you back around $1000 and will plane and thickness up to 250mm width.

There's a video of this machine you can download form the Moving Pictures section of these forums.

It's no big deal changing modes.

West OZ Mark
5th January 2007, 10:55 PM
Hi David

One of my first machines I bought was a combination planer thicknesser and it did frustrate me but you get used to it. It wasnt until I purchased 2 seperate machines that I realized how time consuming a simple job can be.

Defantly if you can aford to buy seperate machines and you have the space go for individual machine.:2tsup:

exchalkie
5th January 2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks for that, Fellas
So you reckon a thicknesser and a planer? You can't get by with one or the other? My workshop is still in a state of flux - I can't agree from one day to the next where everything is going to stay. Space is also at a premium, although I suppose I could put the wine fridge out in the carport!http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
Cheers
David

West OZ Mark
5th January 2007, 11:38 PM
I dont think I could live with either my Jointer or Thicknesser. If you try and put timber through the thicknesser without straightening it on the jointer first and it has a bow or warped it will come out machined bowed or warped to a degree.

.....Mark

exchalkie
6th January 2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks for that Guys
The only problems are : space in my workshop
$2000 + for (quality) machines
But I can see your point - the planer is not much use without a thicknesser if timber is bowed.
Do you think a hand planer might tide me through until I can afford them?
Cheers
David

Gumby
6th January 2007, 10:01 PM
Do you think a hand planer might tide me through until I can afford them?

No :(

noodle_snacks
7th January 2007, 02:40 AM
I'd say get a thicknesser first, there are jigs about (do a search) that will allow you to face joint timber using a thicknesser. Edge jointing can be achieved with jigs for table saws or circular saws, or using an offset fence and a straight bit in a router table.