PDA

View Full Version : TS75 Cutting small pieces

thetassiebfg
6th January 2007, 09:42 PM
G'day peoples

Any one out there got some quick tricks for cutting small pieces using the TS75 (or TS55 for that matter) along with the guide rail system and MFT?

I have done a few googles and a search of the forum and haven't found anything of use though may just have used keywords that others haven't and hence the blanks..

I am sure i spotted something on the web eons ago but can no longer find it..

I know that there is the obvious get a larger piece of the same thickness etc etc but am just wondering if others have found a simpler method especially for repeated cuts of small items.. or if you take things offsite and dont have access to that wonderful offcuts pile.

Cheers

Andrew

nt900
6th January 2007, 11:48 PM
Hi Andrew,

What you looking for, ripping or cross-cutting tips? Or both. It's a very good questions, and I am also keen to see what people may suggest.

Personally, I rip and trim small workpieces on a table saw (CMS mostly) so cannot offer much advice apart from the obvious (as you say) adding another piece under the left side of the guide rail for balance. So I am keen to see what people have to say on this one. Especially TS75 users doing ripping narrow workpieces.

One comment though, it is far easier to rip really thin strips (for veneer or edging) off the edge of the board using a TS and MFT than on a table saw. As the delicate piece gently falls onto the MFT surface rather than being sucked into the blade/under table on a table saw.

Flowboy
7th January 2007, 07:51 AM
Hi Tas and Anthony,

First, Anthony, I've stopped turning Japanese!

Tas, I can consistently cut any width from 2mm to whatever at depths up to 50mm on the TS75. I do not have a Multifunction Tribble, so everything to follow is probably just bollocks!! I use a system I have described elsewhere in this forum regarding "easy TS75 set up". There is also an example of some 3mmx3mm strips I also did on the TS.
It is essential to make sure that the entire area behind the workpiece is supported with identical depth material. This means up to where the saw sits, right down almost to the end. Make sure that you hold the rail flat when sawing, if you want to avoid very slight angles on the edge.
Lower, then start the saw and enter the cut then.
I do not use my TS anymore as the cuts are too rough in comparison to the TS75.
For cross cuts, perhaps a 52 tooth cross cut blade, but I would make sure that you have support under the piece which will fall.
Remember to allow for the kerf when measuring and scribing the cut line, otherwise you will be 2.4-3.5mm off. This is not an issue when you are trimming the piece under the rail.
Try to use a rail appropriate to the length of the workpiece. This will save sag at the ends when the saw is in use thus making a more xccurate and cleaner cut.

Hope this helps, tell me if not.:)

Regards

Rob

thetassiebfg
8th January 2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys

Flowboy I'm answering this before i search for your other posts but it is what i would think of as the common sense approach and as such no it is not a lot of bollocks..

I'll have to give a virtual greenie for your thoughts though as i have not given enough out since I last gave you one:D (is that close enough)

Hi Andrew,

What you looking for, ripping or cross-cutting tips? Or both. It's a very good questions, and I am also keen to see what people may suggest.

Personally, I rip and trim small workpieces on a table saw (CMS mostly) so cannot offer much advice apart from the obvious (as you say) adding another piece under the left side of the guide rail for balance. So I am keen to see what people have to say on this one. Especially TS75 users doing ripping narrow workpieces.

Both !! i do have a trusty Triton to use as a TS but unfortunately it came second hand and has seen better times with some damage that means the surface is anything but square no matter what you do..