PDA

View Full Version : White Cedar

Simomatra
7th January 2007, 10:02 AM
The neighbour is planning to drop a white cedar tree.

Is it any good for turning. Its a weed in Queensland

Gil Jones
7th January 2007, 11:22 AM
Any wood in the "FREE" category is worth turning just to see if is worth keeping.
Australian White Cedar looks fairly nice in this pic >> http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar,%20misc/cedar,%20misc%20australian%20white%201%20s100%20q60%20web.htm

Simomatra
7th January 2007, 04:12 PM
Any wood in the "FREE" category is worth turning just to see if is worth keeping.
Australian White Cedar looks fairly nice in this pic >> http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar,%20misc/cedar,%20misc%20australian%20white%201%20s100%20q60%20web.htm

Thanks Gil

That would be our red cedar the other tree looks like attached it is a weed but grows if left into a large tree

Gil Jones
7th January 2007, 04:22 PM
Open this page >> http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar,%20misc.htm (http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar,%20misc.htm)
and go about half way down to find Aussie White Cedar (at least their idea of it).

lubbing5cherubs
7th January 2007, 05:08 PM
I got some white cedar given to me. I have not turned it yet but it was halved for me. The grain looks nice but it also seems to be quite fibrous. But I could be wrong because I have not turned it yet
Toni

Tony Morton
7th January 2007, 10:36 PM
Hi Sam
White cedar can vary a lot some is very dense and will take a nice finish other that has grown very fast tends ho have soft and hard layers making it difficult toget good finish no matter what you do. Also around here if tree has dead branches the tree tends to have white flecks in the soft grain very doey and tend to tear out. This type of timber suits is suitable for some texturing eg wirw brushing with the grain to give a nice textured finish.
Cheers Tony

soundman
7th January 2007, 11:19 PM
This tree has three things going for it.
1..... IT FREE:D :D :2tsup:
2 its slightly exotic
3 you don't have to go far to get it.

Its a gift. I don't think you can go wrong.:U

tashammer
7th January 2007, 11:39 PM
This tree has three things going for it.
1..... IT FREE:D :D :2tsup:
2 its slightly exotic
3 you don't have to go far to get it.

Its a gift. I don't think you can go wrong.:U

The way some peoples minds work, well, you gotta be proud of him dontcha? We need a Fossicker Award or Hard Garbage Collection Hero.

Simomatra
8th January 2007, 09:26 AM
Open this page >> http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar,%20misc.htm
and go about half way down to find Aussie White Cedar (at least their idea of it).

Nice link Gil.

I will wait till its down then cut up and store. Looks usable in that link

Thanks Toni, Joe, Tony and Tashammer

Will post again when the deed is done

PAH1
8th January 2007, 11:50 AM
The neighbour is planning to drop a white cedar tree.

Is it any good for turning. Its a weed in Queensland

I like it and have a large stash from a similar venture. I like the ring porous nature and colour. Cut it up quickly as it does rot rapidly once it is felled.

Simomatra
8th January 2007, 12:47 PM
I like it and have a large stash from a similar venture. I like the ring porous nature and colour. Cut it up quickly as it does rot rapidly once it is felled.

Thanks PAH

Will do

Wizened of Oz
8th January 2007, 09:16 PM
Why a weed? Melia azederach is native to the scrubs of Northern NSW & SE Queensland. It must be a bit put out being called a weed in it's native habitat. Seriously, though, if it is a weed then I suggest it's some other species.
However, from my reading, not from experience: Melia azederach, White Cedar, light brown heartwood, dry density 465kg/cu.m, good fastening, good gluing, easy working, but coarse texture makes achieving a fine finish difficult.

watson
8th January 2007, 09:50 PM
G'day All,
Just an added question......not a statement.
I believe that the white cedar seeds are poisonous to stock etc.....
Could this also be true of the dust/chips/splinters????

Regards,
Noel

Wizened of Oz
9th January 2007, 12:44 PM
G'day All,

I believe that the white cedar seeds are poisonous to stock etc.....

Regards,
Noel

I've heard that, but I remember my grandparents had a white cedar in their fowl run and the chooks ate the seeds without ill effect. My Grandad never worried that his horses might eat the seeds.
The seeds are commonly eaten by birds and possums so maybe the toxicity is an old husbands' tale.:)

watson
9th January 2007, 01:36 PM
G'day Brian,
Wive's or husband's...their not always right.
One book I've got says it is....but its an overseas book.
Three other books all OZ don't even mention it as harmful.
Just one of those useless bits of info that stick in my mind???????

Regards,
Noel

Frank&Earnest
9th January 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi everybody.
Here in SA the white cedar trees are not weeds but are a @#$%^&* nuisance. Council planted them as street trees and the mess the berries make is unbelievable. As regards the timber, I can only relate what a doyen of turning told me many years ago when he gave me a piece of it: not very good for turning, excellent for carving. I can't vouch for it yet, it is still somewhere in the shed. Will get around it someday!

PAH1
10th January 2007, 08:38 AM
I've heard that, but I remember my grandparents had a white cedar in their fowl run and the chooks ate the seeds without ill effect. My Grandad never worried that his horses might eat the seeds.
The seeds are commonly eaten by birds and possums so maybe the toxicity is an old husbands' tale.:)

It is actually true, an alcohol extract of the bark or seeds is a good insecticide, acting in much the same manner as azerdirachtin from the neem tree. The active has some human toxicity but its use in the garden should be ok. There is however a lot of variability in how toxic any given tree is and this is where some of the doubt would come from. It is loosely related to the neem tree which is well known for its insecticidal activity.

Shedhand
10th January 2007, 10:10 AM
White Cedar, hmmm.. I had a slab of white cedar once. It was a single piece 800mm long x 530mm wide and 30mm thick. Very fine grained and was grey/white. It came from Canada as a lid on an old blanket/glory box. I reckon it was over a 100 years old. buggar all grain pattern though. I made a nice coffee table out of it.

ss_11000
10th January 2007, 01:08 PM
i have a peice of whit cedar ( or so its marked ) and i've turned another peice. very good wood to turn IMO nad give a pretty good smell to. (it said it was white cedar but may not have been )
its free so its worth a try lol.

cheers

Wizened of Oz
10th January 2007, 04:18 PM
It is actually true, an alcohol extract of the bark or seeds is a good insecticide, acting in much the same manner as azerdirachtin from the neem tree. The active has some human toxicity but its use in the garden should be ok. There is however a lot of variability in how toxic any given tree is and this is where some of the doubt would come from. It is loosely related to the neem tree which is well known for its insecticidal activity.

Thanks for the clarification. Expert knowledge is better than my guesswork.

Simomatra
10th January 2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies it wait and see time for me know for the neighbour to drop the tree

Will post when I find out more