PDA

View Full Version : SketchUp Plan for Workbench..test

martrix
8th January 2007, 09:49 PM
Started a drawing today of a workbench for a customer that wasn't too sure what they were after.

I normally just do a Plan View-Front Elevation-Side Elevation by hand. I got half way through and thought, this is gonna be a pain in the a$$ if I have to keep changing it. I had seen a few people here showing plans they had done on SketchUp, so like everything else these days I thought I should check it out to keep up with the times.

After about 4 hours with it, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed:clap: . Seemed pretty easy to get used to straight up.( I tried CAD once, but gave up:- )

I'm sure theres heaps more I can do with it too, which I've yet to learn.

So, anyone care to share their tip's to maybe make things faster or drawings better quality?

Also, check out the plan and see if you have any ideas on the workbench, or anything thats not a good idea.
Its not for a full on woodworker so its fairly basic.
Ash bench top, Redgum legs, Spotted gum rails and painted/sealed MDF panels, cheers.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/th_Cwoodbench3.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/Cwoodbench3.jpg)

Unit_01
10th March 2007, 08:18 PM
pretty descnet table mate, like the vice.

JDarvall
10th March 2007, 08:33 PM
That, that google sketchup thing ?....... looks good, but I can't get it to work on my machine cause I'm still on windows 98.

As for the workbench. There's thousands of designs eh. depends on how much time you want to put into it I suppose.

Maybe an end vise, with dog holes.......or a tool well. eg. maybe instead of one of those ash boards, insert a piece of ply lower down, sitting in grooves..... simple concept, but I like tool wells. Put something down safe and know it won't roll off the table....feels safe.:roll:

locks on the draws and doors ? maybe to keep the kids out.

How much does a table like that go for from Matrix's place you thinking ? ( I mean, only if you don't mind me asking :D )

martrix
10th March 2007, 09:37 PM
That, that google sketchup thing ?....... looks good, but I can't get it to work on my machine cause I'm still on windows 98.

As for the workbench. There's thousands of designs eh. depends on how much time you want to put into it I suppose.

Maybe an end vise, with dog holes.......or a tool well. eg. maybe instead of one of those ash boards, insert a piece of ply lower down, sitting in grooves..... simple concept, but I like tool wells. Put something down safe and know it won't roll off the table....feels safe.:roll:

locks on the draws and doors ? maybe to keep the kids out.

How much does a table like that go for from Matrix's place you thinking ? ( I mean, only if you don't mind me asking :D )

Gday A.Tripper,:D that particular bench is finished and in its happy owners shed. You can see it here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=466491&postcount=18) if you haven't already.
Not a fan of the tool well as I simply just like a nice big flat surface. As you say though, good for putting things in so they are safe from crashing off the edge.
Locks on doors etc would also be a good idea, but would have added extra to cost.

Don't know how heavy it was, but I could barely lift one end of it. Getting it there was very easy though. Wheeled it out of the shed, up some ramps into the back of the van. Once there, setup the ramps and got the front castors onto the ramps and then locked off the rear ones and it quietly slid down the ramps.:)
As for price, between $1-$2K:wink: ...probably should be more though.:doh: