PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat Lidded Box

Gil Jones
9th January 2007, 11:30 AM
Cedar lidded box [108mm Hi x 79mm Wide], with a polyester resin cabouchon in which I cast a red hat broach. This piece is a gift for a friend of ours who is a member of the Red Hat Society.
Edit: I forgot to mention that the finish is one coat of lacquer over polished wood, buffed out and waxed.

Wayne Blanch
9th January 2007, 11:38 AM
I think the shape is really pleasing and the cast resin lid is great. Your friend will be pleased with it. Most impressive.:2tsup:
Wayne

lubbing5cherubs
9th January 2007, 11:45 AM
beautiful work and ideas you have done well
Toni

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2007, 12:03 PM
Very nice Gil

hughie
9th January 2007, 12:20 PM
Gil,

I like the way you did that? :2tsup: nice one.

Gil Jones
9th January 2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks y'all, for the kind comments. It was interesting to create this piece never having cast a cabouchon before.
Wayne, the polyester resin cabouchon is epoxied into a turned hollow at the top of the lid, and the join line for the lid is about 1/3 of the way down the box (the casting is not the lid, just an element of it). The only detractor to the cabouchon is that its weight makes the box a tad top heavy.

rsser
9th January 2007, 05:17 PM
Very swish Gil!

So what is the Red hat society??

Cliff Rogers
9th January 2007, 05:19 PM
...what is the Red hat society??

I know it isn't a Linux group. :D

http://www.redhatsociety.com/

:google2:

tashammer
9th January 2007, 05:21 PM
Lovely shape, beautiful selection of timber to match with the broach, good on yer Gil

Tom

rsser
9th January 2007, 05:35 PM
I know it isn't a Linux group. :D

http://www.redhatsociety.com/

:google2:

Lol.

I figured it had something to do with sheilas but thought Gil might like a chance to explain ;-}

chrisb691
9th January 2007, 05:59 PM
Really Nice!! The lid/base fit is superb. :2tsup:

joe greiner
9th January 2007, 10:35 PM
Superb wood selection and workmanship (as usual), Gil.

Where'd you get the resin? Craft shop or boat yard? (The crap at Home Despot & Lowes isn't clear, & suited only for structural patches.) What kind of mold did you use? Many, many years ago, I made some paperweights in ham-handed molds (tin can for one, plaster of paris for the other - very, very bad choice); took days to final shape & polish. IIRC, wood rasp, sandpapers (abt 80-400), crocus cloth, Brasso.

Not surprised about top-heavy. Might work better with a thicker base, or a lead insert.

Joe

TTIT
10th January 2007, 01:09 AM
Another interesting idea and well executed piece Gil. Very effective - I'm sure the recipient will be wrapped. :)

Wayne Blanch
10th January 2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks y'all, for the kind comments. It was interesting to create this piece never having cast a cabouchon before.
Wayne, the polyester resin cabouchon is epoxied into a turned hollow at the top of the lid, and the join line for the lid is about 1/3 of the way down the box (the casting is not the lid, just an element of it). The only detractor to the cabouchon is that its weight makes the box a tad top heavy.
Thanks for the clarification Gil. Not too bright sometimes:doh: . Where abouts do you find cabouchon? I wouldn't mind trying something like that.

Simomatra
10th January 2007, 09:00 AM
Nice work again Gil

Looks as if you got a real good fit on the lid. Like the casting idea

Gil Jones
10th January 2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Sam, you should have a mini lathe at work.
Ern, no explaining needed, Cliff is zeroed in on it with that link (I no nothing about them anyway). They probably have an Aussie branch of Red Hats.
Joe, I bought a pint of the resin at Michaels (in Tallahassee) for $13, which is the cost for a quart on line at Delvies Plastics for the same product. http://www.delviesplastics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DP&Category_Code=Casting_Resin
And...at Michaels it does not come with a tube of clear catalyst.
No problem, Wayne, I reckon you could buy a cabouchon, but I cast this one so I could put the hat broach inside of it. Check into finding a small tin of clear polyester resin and some catalyst in Australia, it is used by the jewelry making hobbyists. This is where I got the idea >> http://yoyospin.com/cc.
Vern, we shall see how wrapped up the lady is tomorrow when Bunny (my wife) presents the lidded box to her. I will not be involved with it, but will probably here about it.
These things are pretty easy to make (the boxes), and for the casting mold, I used a plastic container that held frosting for toaster tarts (57mm diam by 38mm deep). I am a pack-rat, I just knew that container would come in handy someday.

Speanwoody
10th January 2007, 09:28 AM
Lovely work Gil well impressed

OGYT
10th January 2007, 11:27 AM
Gil, you outdid yourself! That's sharp! Thought the Cabo-thingie was the lid, too, 'til I read further. Did an excellent job on the lid matchup.
Fine stuff!

ss_11000
10th January 2007, 12:59 PM
awesome work gil.

Simomatra
10th January 2007, 06:16 PM
[
Ern, no explaining needed, Cliff is zeroed in on it with that link (I no nothing about them anyway). They probably have an Aussie branch of Red Hats.]

There is a branch in Oz my wife knew all about them when I mentioned it