PDA

View Full Version : MSL 3815 head swivel problem

Edwin
9th January 2007, 02:03 PM
I am a recent new owner of the MSL 3815 variable speed lathe by carbatec (same as the one on timbecon). I'm very happy with it, have only done a bit of practice work so far but it's all good so far...

except I can't seem to swivel the head outwards to do bowl work on the outrigger. Loosening the locking lever at the back makes the head feel loose, but it doesnt turn, almost as if one of the pieces is slightly imprecisely milled and it is jamming. Has anyone had this problem, or have ideas on how to fix it? I would rather not take the head casing apart if I can avoid it.

cheers, ed.

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2007, 02:18 PM
Is there an indexing pin on it, some lathes have this so you can swivel 45 or 90 degrees

hingston
16th January 2007, 01:59 PM
I am a recent new owner of the MSL 3815 variable speed lathe by carbatec (same as the one on timbecon). I'm very happy with it, have only done a bit of practice work so far but it's all good so far...

except I can't seem to swivel the head outwards to do bowl work on the outrigger. Loosening the locking lever at the back makes the head feel loose, but it doesnt turn, almost as if one of the pieces is slightly imprecisely milled and it is jamming. Has anyone had this problem, or have ideas on how to fix it? I would rather not take the head casing apart if I can avoid it.

cheers, ed.

I have one of these variants and had a similar problem to begin with.

1 Loosen the arm
2 Under the head is a nyloc nut undo this and remove the head. ( be careful there is an index spring and ball bearing that may popout)
3 Clean the wax/grase residue with kero and spray with silicone spray.
4 reasemeble
5 adjust the nyloc nut so when the lever is released the head will turn. Not too far or it won't lock down.

hope this helps.