PDA

View Full Version : IE doesn't like this forum

Big Shed
10th January 2007, 07:59 PM
When I first discovered this forum, back in November, I reported that once I was logged in I got booted off with an IE error fairly quickly. This happened with monotonous regularity.
If I didn't log in, but lurked as a guest, I wouldn't get the error at all. As soon I would log in, to post a reply or a new thread, I would get booted off within a couple of minutes, sometimes sooner.

At the time some people suggested that I use Firefox, but I decided to wait till got broadband so I could download this.

I now have broadband and I have downloaded Firefox today, I have been logged on to the forum for extended periods using Firefox and have not been booted off once.
So if any of you have had the same problem, Firefox will fix it.
:U

ozwinner
10th January 2007, 08:05 PM
I used IE for 3 years on here without once being booted off.

Al :?

Grunt
10th January 2007, 08:09 PM

Much to our disappointment.

chrisb691
10th January 2007, 08:12 PM
I'm also on IE, and don't have any problems with the forum. :2tsup:

Doughboy
10th January 2007, 08:14 PM
Wifey loves firefox but I cannot stand it, me being the patient,give anything a go type of bloke thought I should see what it is she likes about Firefox. So I get it going and low and behold I get booted out of different sites that I haven't been booted from before. My laptop slowed down and it just did not enjoy the firefox experience so I deleted all to do with firefox and went back to IE 7. No probs for me.

Pete

Big Shed
10th January 2007, 08:14 PM

Al :?

There is probably another variable in there somewhere, but I have never once got that error browsing any other site.
Anyway, whatever it was, Firefox fixed it.

Fred

outback
10th January 2007, 08:21 PM
Funnily, I used Firefox from about November until the other day. I never got kicked out from anywhere, well not because of FF, but I didn't go much on it. I've just gone back to IE and upgraded to IE 7.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th January 2007, 08:23 PM
Installing the latest JRE was probably a big assist as well... :wink:

Big Shed
10th January 2007, 08:40 PM
Installing the latest JRE was probably a big assist as well... :wink:

Thought you might have a point there, so logged in using IE (6.1) and promptly got booted off.
Don't know what it is, but IE on my TWO computers doesn't like the WWF!
Have to agree that Firefox hasn't endeared itself to me so far, but will definetely use it for the forum!

Fred

JDarvall
10th January 2007, 08:55 PM
Did you check to see if the problem still occured after getting broadband, but before you installed firefox ? ....

Maybe its fixed just because your using broadband.

Big Shed
10th January 2007, 09:53 PM
Did you check to see if the problem still occured after getting broadband, but before you installed firefox ? ....

Maybe its fixed just because your using broadband.

Yes I did, and it didn't.

Seems that Firefox has earned a place on my PC, will use IE for most things though, don't find Firefox all that intuitive, but that is probably "old farts syndrome":D

dadpad
10th January 2007, 10:01 PM
When I first discovered this forum, back in November, I reported that once I was logged in I got booted off with an IE error fairly quickly. This happened with monotonous regularity.
If I didn't log in, but lurked as a guest, I wouldn't get the error at all. As soon I would log in, to post a reply or a new thread, I would get booted off within a couple of minutes, sometimes sooner.

At the time some people suggested that I use Firefox, but I decided to wait till got broadband so I could download this.

I now have broadband and I have downloaded Firefox today, I have been logged on to the forum for extended periods using Firefox and have not been booted off once.
So if any of you have had the same problem, Firefox will fix it.
:U

I haven't read past the first post. I use firefox and have done since I came to this forum.
I regularily have to re--login. Especially if I am making a longish post.

This is a common problem (at least 3 sites that I know of) each is a different type of bulletin board.
My daughter and I post to the same board using the same computer. she gets kicked out I dont.
The only difference we can come up with is I chose "remember me" the very first time I logged in.
Both of us use forefox.

Btw I love using firefox and have never had any "real" problems with it. I also have IE on this machine and use it occasionally.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th January 2007, 10:46 PM
I regularily have to re--login. Especially if I am making a longish post.
[...]
The only difference we can come up with is I chose "remember me" the very first time I logged in.
Both of us use forefox.

Try ticking "remember me" every time you log in. AFAICT it's purpose is so that you don't get kicked off for "idleness" until you choose to log out.

Once you're logged out, you'll need to tick it again the next time you log in.

Or so I think, anyway. :? (That's how I use it and I don't have the timeout problem...) I'm sure someone will enlighten me if I've got it wrong. :p

Big Shed
10th January 2007, 10:52 PM
I always tick it and it doesn't make any difference. Still get kicked off with IE, not with Firefox.

bystander
10th January 2007, 11:16 PM
Another browser you might like to try is OPERA ( www.opera.com ).
All the PC mags I've read say don't use IE so I tried Firefox and didn't like it then found Opera. After a few uses got used to it and wouldn't change. Occasionally go back to IE as some sites won't accept anything else but feel that it is so much slower.
Worth a try.

journeyman Mick
10th January 2007, 11:36 PM
Big Shed,
look I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, but, (looks round to see if anyone's listening)
it's not your browser, it's you the site just doesn't like.:C

Mick:wink:

Barry_White
10th January 2007, 11:48 PM
I used IE6 for 3 years on the forum and the used FF for about 12 months and decided I didn't like it that much and have gone back to IE6 and have done so for the last six months and have never had that problem.

Maybe it is something in your settings.

MurrayD99
11th January 2007, 06:10 AM
I have IE5 on my laptop using dial-up and it is always A-OK on the forum. Desktop was upgraded to IE7 before Xmas and that created some issues with New Posts - readily sorted. I don't think your problem is fundamental to IE - probably settings or other issues deep inside your machine. You'll need a hammer and a cold chisel.....

Big Shed
11th January 2007, 09:28 AM
Big Shed,
look I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, but, (looks round to see if anyone's listening)
it's not your browser, it's you the site just doesn't like.:C

Mick:wink:

Then it is just as well I found Firefox to hide my identity!:o