PDA

View Full Version : Incra TS-LS: best on L or R of saw blade?

Gunnaduit
11th January 2007, 11:39 AM
Fellas -

About the INCRA TS-LS Joinery System (http://www.incra.biz/Products/TSLSWFNCSYS.html). This is the incra router fence / saw fence positioner that fits over a table saw:

As the incra.biz picture at the link above shows, the system can be mounted so that the router lift insert is in the left hand wing of the table saw, or the right hand wing (as you stand at the saw to use it).

So which is better, or rather, what would be the pros and cons of each arrangement? I'd especially love to hear from users of the TS-LS system.

Gunnaduit
11th January 2007, 12:52 PM
That hyperlink had a naughty right-hand bracket attached , so try again

http://www.incra.biz/Products/TSLSWFNCSYS.html

Gunnaduit
13th January 2007, 06:03 PM
By crikey, I'm getting the feeling the incra-jig section's totally deserted - Heeelllllooooo!!??!!

Groggy
13th January 2007, 06:30 PM
Fellas -

About the INCRA TS-LS Joinery System (http://www.incra.biz/Products/TSLSWFNCSYS.html). This is the incra router fence / saw fence positioner that fits over a table saw:

As the incra.biz picture at the link above shows, the system can be mounted so that the router lift insert is in the left hand wing of the table saw, or the right hand wing (as you stand at the saw to use it).

So which is better, or rather, what would be the pros and cons of each arrangement? I'd especially love to hear from users of the TS-LS system.Personally, if I could choose layout, I would mount it on the side opposite the tilt of the blade i.e. if a right tilt blade like most, I'd put it on the left if possible. The reason being that if you tilt the blade and make a cut, the offcut is below the blade and not on top of it. If the offcut is below the blade AND between the blade and the fence the chances of a kickback are reasonably good. Ripping narrow strips will get hairy though and require a sacrificial push stick and feather/finger boards.

One last thing, if the blade leans toward the fence you are slightly more likely to feed in a finger as the blade gets closer to you as you feed the piece. If you keep your fingers clear from the closest point of the blade, and it leans away from you, then it should remain safe throughout the cut.

One more thing, if you intend to fit a sliding table it will most likely only fit the LHS of the TS, forcing the TS LS to be fitted to the right anyway.

cheers,

Ten-finger Groggy

Gunnaduit
14th January 2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the reply, Groggy, thanks. So from the safety factor, you'd mount the router table into the left wing of your table saw (if my Jet contractor saw has a right-tilting blade, as it does); but from point of view of adding a sliding table (don't think I'd bother on my Jet, its too low-end for that), you'd have to mount the router table into the RH wing. Ok.

Anyone else got a view? -- I really would love to know what yers think.

Groggy
14th January 2007, 11:25 AM
Just to be a bit clearer:

Mount the TS LS on the opposite side to the tilt of the blade.

TS LS -> Blade / -> Router insert

Router insert -> Blade \ -> TS LS

If you mount the insert between the blade and the TS LS then you have to lean over the table more than necessary, making the routing operation harder to watch and therefor less safe.

Anyone else got a theory?

graemecarson
15th January 2007, 04:46 PM
I have a TS-LS set up with a Triton 3.25 hp router in a unilift and a Jet Supersaw. I purchased Incra's 96inch rails and have mounted the Router to the right of the table saw in its own cabinet which is securely attached to the Table saw. The saw can then be used to cut really large sheet material when the TS-LS is tucked right back against the mounting hardware and the Wonderfence and router have plenty of access and great support from the left hand end. I remove the guard and riving knife from the saw if routing long material. If I can find a pic I'll post it to show the setup. It works really well for me - and with the combined 8 feet of table available, it is very versatile. The Supersaw is a left tilt blade.
Don't know if this is useful or useless info but a chat with Grahame would also be beneficial. He's a really helpful and obliging fellow.

Cheers.

Gunnaduit
16th January 2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks graeme, funny thing is Grahame said I ought to ask you.
Anyway, your router is on the right side, with a left tilting blade, which fits with what Groggy says. Since my saw is right tilt, if that's the best principle to base decisions upon, I'd put my router to the left. That's also what Grahame at PWS says and is also the arrangement in the review of the system at
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/incrawonderfence.htm
which seems to be a Jet contractor saw like mine, so I suppose is right tilting. Well without having any further ways to think about it I guess tha's where I'll start.