PDA

View Full Version : Best "cheap" router

smidsy
12th January 2007, 10:31 AM
Hei Guys,
I have a trade spec makita mounted in a bench but removing it for hand held jobs is a pain, and I'm worried about one day cross-threading the mounting screws.
Is there a decent router with a half inch shank at or around the $100 mark that will do for hand held jobs?
Cheers
Paul

echnidna
12th January 2007, 10:49 AM
Gmc

duckman
12th January 2007, 11:15 AM
Ozito. I bought one a fortnight ago to use hand-held as my Makita is in my router table. Apart from a less than smooth plunge action, I haven't been able to fault it.
It actually has more features like soft start and some dust collection than my Makita lacks. :oo:

MICKYG
12th January 2007, 11:20 AM
Paul

I had the same problem and picked up a s/h makita 3600b Ithink. I have since bought a 1/4 inch GMC for 39.95 which has turned out to just great had it a couple years now. The makita although old is a great router locked into the table and my newer Makita is used for all and sundry.

Regards Mike.:wink:

David L
12th January 2007, 01:31 PM
Ryobi

echnidna
12th January 2007, 01:48 PM
avoid bosch

Vernonv
12th January 2007, 02:06 PM
Why avoid Bosch ... because it's too good to be classed as cheap :D .

Seriously though, why?

I've got a heavy duty Bosch blue router that I've have for many, many years and it performs well and has never let me down.

smidsy
12th January 2007, 02:34 PM
If I could talk the wife in to it and justify it for the use it would get I would go Bosch in a heartbeat.

We've got one of the early Bosch recipricol saws that has done some hard work and keeps on going.
Cheers

echnidna
12th January 2007, 03:52 PM
Old bosch was as good as you could get
the modern cheap stuff is about 3 levels below ozito

zenwood
12th January 2007, 04:06 PM
My Ryobi has proved adequate since I got it for $79 a couple of woodshows ago. Fine depth adjust, smooth start, 1/2" shank (with 1/4" adapter), dust control fitting, fence, collet lock button. Will do me till I get my triton:)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=37621

Just George
12th January 2007, 04:59 PM
My Ryobi has proved adequate since I got it for $79 a couple of woodshows ago. Fine depth adjust, smooth start, 1/2" shank (with 1/4" adapter), dust control fitting, fence, collet lock button. Will do me till I get my triton:)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=37621

I have one of these and found it to be very noisy. I also have a Ryobi Trimmer, these are excellent and also about $79. I like these as they can be used while hold with one or two hands.

routermaniac
13th January 2007, 12:38 AM
If you do not mind secondhand I would try ebay for one of the classics (Makita and Hitachi are my favourites). You will have to pay a little more than $100 but will be worth it. I have owned GMC and would not recommend them.

regards

Marios

noodle_snacks
14th January 2007, 10:46 PM
I've got a 1/4in, 1400w black and decker, which works well for the jobs i ask of it. Handle design is fairly ergonomic and its laid out well. I also have a 2100w ryobi which works well for table use.

inferno6688
16th January 2007, 06:51 PM
I use a ryobi 1400w router for handheld work. I am happy with it. i think they go for about $90.

aniceone2hold
16th January 2007, 08:38 PM
I really am interested in knowing the problems you have with Bosch. In the US models such as the 1617 (2-1/4 HP) and 1619 (3-1/4 HP) are consistantly top rated in comparison testing. I own a couple of 1617's and love them. I realize this model isn't available in Oz. I would like to know about issues with the models sold there.

old dog
6th March 2007, 09:40 PM
Ozito has a 3 year replacement warranty :)

Knurl
7th March 2007, 09:34 PM
Ozito is pretty good price/performance. Mine is the 1/4 inch model 650watts for $65. For general purpose and hand-held use it's a beauty.

When it dies I'll toss it out with the garbage and buy another!

John Saxton
8th March 2007, 05:53 PM
avoid bosch

Bob obviously has some issues with this Brand which he has'nt expanded on however some years ago at a WW show I bought a Bosch 1300 ACE and was so delighted with the lightness of the unit(ideal for hand held applications)and the total functionality of it that I bought a second one when my local Mitre 10 hardware store was having a clearance sale.

Havent looked back in despair since and really appreciate those particular models however I cannot speak for any other models of this Brand.

Ozito are about the cheapest going on the market at present,I do keep an eye on prices and are generally available from Bunnies.

Cheers:)

Big Shed
8th March 2007, 06:21 PM
I have the big Triton as well as a 3600 series Makita (not variable speed) Find both of those a bit of a "hand full" for hand held work. Also have a small 1/4" Bosch. Aldi had one in their brochure last week for $39.95, 1/2" variable speed, 1200W and 2 year warranty. For that price it was added to the collection! Interesting to find that it came with a 1/2" as well as a 1/4" collet, not just a reducing sleeve. Easy to hand hold, and ergonomically much better than either the Triton or the Makita.