PDA

View Full Version : Chisel 101

Waldo
12th January 2007, 10:57 AM
G'day,

Since you were knee high to a grasshopper you were told to always work away from you and never to you.

Those words of wisdom should also have added to them: with a chisel that you have just sharpened up real sharp.

In an effort to finish fixing a piano chair for my SIL last night I called up to SWMBO at 9:00pm that I was just going down to the shed to fix the chair.

So off I go.

Grab the nasty sharp 1" chisel, the arm rest and proced to pare away the bog so I can redowel it.

Herein begins saftey 101.

Put the thing in the vice, don't hold the thing you're working on with your left hand as you chisel with the right, because the rotten thing will slip and cut yourself.

Yep and that's what I did. The chisel let go with a mighty race to my pointer finger on my left hand and found a nice spot to slice into between the1st and 2nd knuckle. :doh:

Holy hell did it hurt! looked down to my finger and there was an almighty gouge there with blood pouring claret left right and centre. :o

(when you bleed, try not to get it on the stock which you are cutting dovetails into for you hand tool cabinet which you were using as a steady - managed not to do that. :2tsup:

Safety lessong 2 in chisel 101 - Rags.

Rags are used to stem the flow of claret. They are also used around the shed to mop up glue, wipe off dust from stuff and a million other things. In a race to stem the flow I grabbed the nearest rag which had all the above on it. Keep a rag for said emergencies.

So anyway I stumbled out into the night in a nice quiet street moaning things like "Holy shyte, $#@!, ooh man, cor this hurts, #$@!, shtye" These calls of pain will get SWMBO to pop her head out the window and ask if you are OK. In any other circumstances she'll tell you to clean your mouth out and stop swearing, must be the way to moan such words.

So a moments decision to do something other than for myself turned into disaster and I also missed the anime movie on SBS last night. :C

Two hours in emrmency waiting, three stitches later and I'm now incapicitated for 10 days which means I can't work on my hand tool cabinet or pick my daugter up :C , I can't even spray smelly stuff under my right arm SWMBO has to do that for me.

Bugger.

DJ’s Timber
12th January 2007, 11:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your little mishap Waldo, hopefully you'll be right in a few days. But where are the pics

Shedhand
12th January 2007, 11:07 AM
Join the club...ouch. :oo: Pity the initiation is so painful.:C
Kick back and have a few coldies mate. :drunk22: Get well soon.

Waldo
12th January 2007, 11:20 AM
G'day djstimber,

Funny you should ask that. In the painful moments after the event I thought of grabbing the camera just to show you lot that this event did take place, but the grab fore the rag to stem the claret came up as first thing, then to moan and swear, then get SWMBO to wrap em up.

Hang on...

Here you go. Now what good is my finger done up like that for? In that shape I can't even scratch my nose. Bugger. :D

I'll post more pics when I get the stiches out.

silentC
12th January 2007, 11:20 AM
Been there done that. Paring a round tenon on a chair leg, holding the leg in the left hand, paring towards it with the right. Slipped and went through my thumbnail severing it in two and about 10mm past the end of the nail towards the knuckle. Permanent scar in the thumbnail bed makes it grow in two pieces. Permanent reminder :wink:

Waldo
12th January 2007, 11:22 AM
G'day,

Another shot, for those who like the ugly stuff.

Waldo
12th January 2007, 11:27 AM
G'day,

What's goin on here with loading attachments. :?

Thanks for the comiserations (typo? probably) SilentC and Sheddie, at least I've still got full use of my right hand and can lift a few VBs later this arvo with the neighbour.

Wongo
12th January 2007, 11:27 AM
Brother Waldo,

I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. Holding the board with one hand and the chisel slipped. It ended with a very deep cut on my palm. Had a look at my hand, no pain no blood. :oo:

5 seconds late…

My gosh it was blood everywhere. Spat on it, closed my hand as tight as possible and wrapped it with a towel.

The wife was too scared to look. I drove myself the Medical centre and got 5 stitches. :2tsup:

It was 10.30 at night.:- The night I became a real woodworker.:D

Waldo
12th January 2007, 11:36 AM
I drove myself the Medical centre and got 5 stitches. :2tsup:

G'day Wongo Mate,

Yep, ecept SWMBO is into those medical real life programmes and loves this kind of stuff. ha df a short discussion of getting her to drive me to Emergency, and "What about Sarah, what do i do with her, and I'm in my pj's" , she says. "Get Rob (the neighbour to drive you", "No", I said, "He;s probably had more than a few already"

So I jumped in the XR and sped towards the hospital in pain, doing 10km above getting there, haven't told her yet I went past a spped camera and past the cop shop, but bugger the camera I thought I was in pain and I needed immediate treatment so i could get back into the shed and my cabinet ASAP. Whichwon't happen for another 10 days yet coz me bloody finger damn well hurts and I don't want to bust the stitches.

(and it is a bloody finger too)

Wongo
12th January 2007, 11:40 AM
I hope you get a speeding ticket.:D

Waldo
12th January 2007, 11:42 AM
G'day Wongo,

Yer all heart, and from a brother too. :q

rrich
12th January 2007, 01:00 PM
Tuesday, I went to our equivalent of Bunntes. (Home Depot) I was looking into using a toilet (Commode) flange as an adapter for a dust collector. I pick up this flange and notice that the hole looks biger than my 4 inch dust collection system. So I try and fit the flange to a piece of 4 inch sewer pipe. The flange fits over the OUTSIDE of the sewer pipe. (The sewer pipe inside diameter is a bit too large to fit over dust collection pipe.)

Oh, well. A nice thought while it lasted.

I'll remove the flange and return it to the bin. OH! D*** the flange is sharp. Holly crap, I'm bleeding all over the place.

Off to the HMO. Three stiches right in the crease of my right thumb.

Waldo
12th January 2007, 01:15 PM
G'day Rrich,

That's gotta hurt! :o

Why do fingers and toes and anything else hurt so much when you mistreat them?

Mental note; must not strain finger even how slight coz it flamin well hurts and makes me go all white. Think I'll go lie down for abit.

outback
12th January 2007, 01:26 PM
Lots of sympathy, but no practical help.

Send photos of daughter, if OK, I'll pick her up. :worthless::omg::sueme:

:ranton:TO ALL THE PRUDES THIS IS A JOKE. GO BACK INTO YOUR HOLE AND FESTER A WHILE LONGER IN YOUR OWN HUMOUR VACUUM. :rantoff:

Waldo
12th January 2007, 03:39 PM
Lots of sympathy, but no practical help.

Send photos of daughter, if OK, I'll pick her up. :worthless::omg::sueme:

:ranton:TO ALL THE PRUDES THIS IS A JOKE. GO BACK INTO YOUR HOLE AND FESTER A WHILE LONGER IN YOUR OWN HUMOUR VACUUM. :rantoff: G'day Outback,

Here you go, my beautiful little girl.

scooter
12th January 2007, 05:33 PM
Bugger, Chris, sounds painful. Get well soon, mate.

Sliced into my left thumb a while back while paring the end off the axle on a wooden yoyo I was making for the kids. I feel your pain.

Cheers....................Sean

Waldo
12th January 2007, 05:38 PM
G'day Sean,

Thanks.

There is one upside, SWMBO won't be giving me massive hints/demands to wash the dishes, which I absolutelty hate doing.

scooter
12th January 2007, 05:58 PM
Silver lining, mate :D

TEEJAY
12th January 2007, 06:55 PM
Must be the week for fingers and thumbs.

I was dismantling scaffolding in the yard and using a piece of wood to hammer apart a stubborn joint whilst holding back the retaining clip. I thought gee i better be careful or I could easily hit my hand - next bang squashed my thumb pinching a chunk of flesh from right next to the nail - ouch - swear swear swear etc etc.

Hope you make the most of your time off Waldo - you can always plan more projects.

PS Nice pic of the bub :wink:

MajorPanic
12th January 2007, 07:48 PM
Must be the week for fingers and thumbs.

I was dismantling scaffolding in the yard and using a piece of wood to hammer apart a stubborn joint whilst holding back the retaining clip. I thought gee i better be careful or I could easily hit my hand - next bang squashed my thumb pinching a chunk of flesh from right next to the nail - ouch - swear swear swear etc etc.

Hope you make the most of your time off Waldo - you can always plan more projects.

PS Nice pic of the bub :wink:TEEJAY,
This wouldn't happen if you had a dual drum sander....hint, hint :wink: :D :D :D

Groggy
12th January 2007, 09:01 PM
Ouch Chris. I stand by my claim that chisels are the most dangerous tool in the shop.

BTW, I hope you oiled the chisel, blood makes 'em rust like a bugger - DAMHIKT :- .

outback
12th January 2007, 09:07 PM
Heh Heh, she's a cutey Waldo. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
12th January 2007, 09:22 PM
Hey Waldo, sorry to hear you had to get stitches, am even sorrier to hear that you're out of the workshop for a while. Hope it heals quickly for you.

I too, suffered from a few light chisel cuts last week, it got to the third cut of that hour and I took the hint and closed the solar kiln for the day :rolleyes:

Cheers
Wendy

ss_11000
12th January 2007, 10:04 PM
geez. that would have hurt.
hope it heals fast for ya Waldo.

cheers

Lignum
12th January 2007, 10:34 PM
Amazing how its drummed into us to wear "appropriate footwear" but when was the last time you dropped a chissel on your steelcap. I wear thongs 20% of the time and have ten beautifull toes, but have scars on both hands from table saw blade, chissel and carving knive mishaps.

Waldo, can you still open and drink a stubby?

Waldo
13th January 2007, 12:10 PM
G'day Lignum,

Yep, can still open a stubby. I've even gone to installing a stubby opener on my bench - should be part of the Code that. But mostly I have cans. Either way, if I couldn't open one by hand then it would be dire straights.

SWMBO even said to me this morning that I'm not very motivated, well I can't do much in the shed I replied. SWMBO even had to go across the road to get a tub of paint undone because I/we couldn't do it.

Yep Groggy, the chisel was oiled, it had just been sharpened, better a sharp cut thean a blunt one.

8 more days Ruffly and SS, 8 more long days. Meanwhile my cabinet is sitting in various stages waiting for me to come back to it. I could maybe cut some more dovetails for the carcas on the b/saw, chisel them etc., but I'd rather have two hands at 100% to do it.

Back to work this week, but from my office in the shed the timber for the cabinet is calling out to me.

Damnit.

TEEJAY
13th January 2007, 01:52 PM
TEEJAY,
This wouldn't happen if you had a dual drum sander....hint, hint :wink: :D :D :D

Aaah Mr Major. It is a desire for sure. First I have to build an awing outside existing shed to make room within to allow it to fit.

We got a bonus for Christmas and I was hopeful the company would buy me the sander as part of that and i could manage some tax benefit but they refused to co-operate (something about tax complications :rolleyes: ) Never mind.

First thing on the wish list just now is a domino - I have just about enough room for that in the shed.

Later this year the drum sander will become a reality if I get my act together on the awning.

Are you saying you have a great drum sander for sale real cheap? :D

soundman
15th January 2007, 12:52 PM
Oh NO:oo: :o :no:
The horror show continues.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10:D yep all still there.:2tsup:

remember the sharp bit points away.:doh:

There is no greater safety reminder than a gruesome scar, right where you can see it.

remember to take a camera with you when you get the stiches out:D

cheers