PDA

View Full Version : Mortising jig enables domino joinery without a Domino

Rocker
13th January 2007, 06:55 AM
Woodworkers whose budget does not stretch to buying the Festool Domino joiner can still enjoy the many advantages of the Domino joinery system by buying Festool dominoes, and using them as floating tenons in mortises routed with a precision mortising jig. Festool dominoes are precision made from European beech and are not expensive to buy. They cost between 7 and 23 cents each, depending on the size and the quantity bought.

MY mortising jig, which was originally described in Australian Woodworker #103, allows you to rout mortises of precise dimensions and to position them precisely. It is discussed in this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=5633 , and is now described in an updated article which is available online at the following URLs:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgdcspjt_0cbnhgq
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgdcspjt_7f6s5z4
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgdcspjt_13d4ptvj
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgdcspjt_45dhdxmd

Unfortunately, Google Docs & Spreadsheets does not allow .pdf files to be uploaded, so the diagrams in the article appear illegible on screen; however, they should print out OK. Message me with your e-mail address if they don't, and I will send you a .PDF version.

Rocker

la Huerta
13th January 2007, 09:35 AM
this would be an invaluable tool...I'll be building it for sure...mortise and tenons have always sent me to my knees...but not anymore

many thanks...:2tsup:

Big Shed
13th January 2007, 11:13 AM
That link takes me to Bushing Adapters and no matter what I type in their search box, that's where it stays!

Rocker
13th January 2007, 11:52 AM
Big Shed,

My computer has been playing up, so I will repost the deleted post.

I should have mentioned that dominoes come in metric sizes, 5, 6, 8, and 10 mm thick, whereas the solid carbide spiral bits that are best for routing mortises are sold in Australia in imperial sizes. However metric spiral bits can be obtained from a Canadian supplier:

http://www.bcsaw.com/

and bushing adapters to enable 6 and 8 mm bits to be used in a 1/2" collet can be bought from Lee Valley;

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30126&cat=1,46168,46180

Anyway a 5/16" spiral bit will rout a mortise that is 8 mm thick, 7.93 mm to be exact, but you can easily sand an 8 mm domino slightly to fit.

Rocker

Flowboy
13th January 2007, 06:06 PM
MIK Int. sell metric spiral upcuts at least in6,8 and 10mm cutting diameter and on an 8mm shank as well, which gives more strength and is closer to the Domino shank. They use a separate supplier, so should be able to get 5mm as well. Festool also sell 6,8 and 10mm spiral upcuts. After discussion with Carba-tech this AM, as they are now importing Leigh jigs, it appears they will also be selling both Leigh bit kits and their own individual metric upcuts.
Dominos are sold by the box. A box of 5x30mm tenons costs $123.42 and contains approx 1200 tenons. A box 10x50mm tenons costs $123.42 and contains 510 tenons. So it's more like selling by weight.
The dominos are compressed on the sides so they expand to fit the mortise. Shaving them to fit an incorrectly sized mortise would worry me, particularly when the correct bits are available in Australia.

Regards

Rob

Rocker
13th January 2007, 06:43 PM
Rob,

It should be mentioned that domino tenons are also sold by the bag. The bags cost about $20 and contain between 100 and 300 dominoes, depending on the domino size. Buying dominoes by the bag, rather than by the box, is only about 2% more expensive; so it may be the way to go for the hobbyist, who does not need a large quantity.

A test that I have just carried out shows that in practice a 5/16" router bit yields a mortise 7.97 to 8.00 mm thick, and that 8 mm dominoes fit into the mortice quite satisfactorily without sanding, even though, in the current humid conditions, my dominoes are anything between 8.01 and 8.14 mm thick. So if you buy a 1/2" to 6 mm bushing adapter from Lee Valley, and a 6 mm spiral bit from McJing, as you suggest, the most commonly used dominoes (6 and 8 mm) can be used in mortises routed with my jig. I am not sure whether bushing adapters to suit 5 or 10 mm bits are available anywhere. Or are you saying that these bits are available with 8 mm shanks, for which an adapter can be obtained from Lee Valley?

Rocker

Flowboy
13th January 2007, 07:20 PM
Hi Rocker,
The availability of dominoes by the bag I thought was via Ideal Tools only. I haven't seen that available anywhere else, so I can only work on the standard way of purchasing Dominoes.

The good fit you get with the 5/16 is great to know, as I would not (will not) trim my dominoes. However, I'd still like the proper cutter and you're right, the humidity makes abit of a mockery of it all anyway.:)

I wanted to point out that metric upcuts are available in 6.35, 8, 12 and 12.7mm shank sizes readily in Australia. (In fact at present, you may have to hunt for 12mm). In addition, some Router manufacturers make reducers and /or collets to suit bits with the above shanks, as do carbitool. I fact most serious tool houses have them available.They do not need to bought outside Australia unless that is your wish. I get very satisfactory results using 6mm cutting diameter with an 8mm shank and 12.7-8mm reducer, or with a standard 8mm collet.:)

Regards,

Rob

John Saxton
15th January 2007, 03:53 PM
Hi Rocker,
The availability of dominoes by the bag I thought was via Ideal Tools only. I haven't seen that available anywhere else, so I can only work on the standard way of purchasing Dominoes.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,I can get them (Bags if I choose)here in the West from various outlets so its not restricted to Ideal Tools.

Cheers:)

Flowboy
15th January 2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks John,

None of the six or so places I've been to here do this. Its good to know other places will though.

Does that include Carba-tec by any chance?

Regards,

Rob

John Saxton
15th January 2007, 10:07 PM
Hi Rob, on a quick search I think Carba-Tec do sell them in varying sizes...check you local one.

cheers:)

TassieKiwi
16th January 2007, 09:57 AM
Woodworkers whose budget does not stretch to buying the Festool Domino joiner can still enjoy the many advantages of the Domino joinery system by buying Festool dominoes, and using them as floating tenons in mortises routed with a precision mortising jig.
Rocker

Good idea David - that jig certainly costs less than $1200! I used it a couple of times and it worked well.

Rocker
18th January 2007, 05:33 PM
MIK Int. sell metric spiral upcuts at least in6,8 and 10mm cutting diameter and on an 8mm shank as well, which gives more strength and is closer to the Domino shank. They use a separate supplier, so should be able to get 5mm as well. Festool also sell 6,8 and 10mm spiral upcuts. After discussion with Carba-tech this AM, as they are now importing Leigh jigs, it appears they will also be selling both Leigh bit kits and their own individual metric upcuts.

Regards

Rob

Rob,

A check of the Mik website shows that they are selling the Leigh metric carbide spiral cutters for absolutely extortionate prices. They want $152.81 for a 6 mm bit on an 8 mm shank and $174.69 for an 8 mm bit. Seeing that a 5/16" spiral bit which McJing sells for $40 will do the same job as the 8 mm bit, they seem to be taking their customers for mugs. On the other hand I have not been able to find any other 6 mm bit. I wonder whether the 6mm bit can be obtained for a more reasonable price from Leigh in North America.

Rocker

Flowboy
18th January 2007, 07:58 PM
I think you're right Rocker. It will be interesting to see what Carbatec offer. Incidentally, I was at Carbatec this morning and they are about to release a new catalogue as in its already been printed. Didn't get to see all of it, but they will be carrying a Veritas dowel maker, which looks to make 6 or so different sizes, for the princely sum of $695.00:oo:

Regards,

Rob

Rocker
18th January 2007, 09:12 PM
Rob,

Carbitool sell 8 and 10 mm spiral bits, but not a 6 mm one. Their 10 mm bit has a 10 mm shank, and I am not sure if it possible to get a 10 mm bushing adaptor to suit a 1/2" collet.

So, unless people want to spend $152 for a 6 mm bit, it looks as though non-owners of the Domino joiner will only easily be able to rout 8 mm mortices (using a 5/16" spiral bit) for use with domino tenons. However you could use 8 mm dominoes in most joints, so I think it is a worthwhile technique that can save a lot of hassle.

Rocker

Flowboy
19th January 2007, 02:44 AM
Hi Rocker,

I agree totally with you on this. I do not believe a 10mm reducer is available readily anywhere. I asked Carbitool about their using 10mm shanks with the 10mm cutter and they said they made it primarily for CNC router systems. I can only take their word for this, but it sounds like special order they decided to keep going as a product line for some reason.:)

Regards

Rob

Rocker
21st January 2007, 10:32 AM
I have found a UK supplier of 6 mm solid carbide spiral bits here: http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Router_Cutters.html . The bit has an 8 mm shank which should fit in a 5/16" bushing adaptor, and has a cutting length of 30 mm. The bit is supposedly for routing aluminium, but presumably should work on wood also.

Rocker

proberts
25th April 2007, 08:12 AM
Rocker

great jig. I check your plans on google and would appreciate if you could email me the pdf version [email protected].

I will go very well with tenoning jig my brother in law made for me.

Jedo_03
28th April 2007, 09:51 PM
See this post...

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=48473

and save yrselves some money
(all courtesy of great forumites)
Jedo