PDA

View Full Version : Square bowl

lubbing5cherubs
13th January 2007, 10:30 PM
Gidday, How do you sand a square bowl? I need tips. I know this probably been hashed out before but nothing I could fine in the search
bye Toni:D

Steve Worcester
13th January 2007, 11:56 PM
The thing about square bowls are those nasty square edges. Think about it as a propeller. I use power sanding and keep the pad tipped slightly up (little open space at the top) and parallel with the flat surface of the bowls face. If you tip it down, or in/out, it catches the edge and rips the sandpaper off. Alternatively, you can hand sand with the grain or use a sanding block.

It goes without saying (but I say it anyway) keep your hands away from the spinning propeller.

Steve Worcester
www.turningwood.com (http://www.turningwood.com)

SawDustSniffer
14th January 2007, 12:03 AM
I need tips.
bye Toni:D

if you need your finger tips ,it might pay to hand sand it with the lathe stopped

Lignum
14th January 2007, 12:15 AM
Square sandpaper usualy works a treat:)

Rippa
14th January 2007, 12:47 AM
You should have glued some scrap timber on the edges and made the blank round before you machined it then after it was finished knock of the scrap timber and finish the edges.

Rippa

lubbing5cherubs
14th January 2007, 01:36 AM
Oops I didn't do that. I will remember for next time thanks
Toni

rsser
14th January 2007, 07:06 AM
Yeah, do it by hand or you can try the banana benders' method of trailing a sole of a thong with the paper on it. Beware of rounding over the bowl edge tho.

ss_11000
14th January 2007, 04:58 PM
It goes without saying (but I say it anyway) keep your hands away from the spinning propeller.
it hurts when your knuckles touch the corners DAMHIKT:oo:
cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th January 2007, 05:33 PM
For some forms it's easier to switch the lathe OFF and use a small rotary sander mounted in a power drill. Battery drills are OK, I prefer a small corded one running on low speed.

I leave the piece in the chuck to hold it firmly, rotating it by hand as I finish sanding an area. Be careful if you do it this way; it can remove a lot of wood quickly!

La truciolara
16th January 2007, 11:30 AM
By hand, with sand paper, and a lot of patience. :U

Jackson
23rd January 2007, 10:53 PM
Hi Toni

I've done a few square bowl and the method I found usefl was to use a rag padded up into a ball then use this as a backing for the sandpaper. Unfortunately though you will always sand away the leading edge so that two edges of the square will be rounded down to blades and the trailing edges will not. If the piece permits go back and hand sand down the trailing edges. If this doesn't work then hand sanding the still piece is the only way I think.

Cheers

OGYT
24th January 2007, 10:37 AM
Some good advice, Blokes. I use a power drill, also, on edges that don't fit together. :o