PDA

View Full Version : A Trophy I made...

dnelson
14th January 2007, 09:43 AM
Hello all,
I just wanted to show off a trophy that my buddies asked me to make for the fantasy football league we are in. Now before you get started this is american football not soccer. I turned the parts on my jet mini lathe.

The columns and the ball are made with walnut, the cylinders are red oak and the plates are maple. The stitches are chair caning glued in. The whole piece is finished in several coats of tongue oil.

Cheers David

Hickory
14th January 2007, 10:50 AM
That is one serious trophy for a bunch overgrown kids playing pretend football :q

Really, Nice job and the finish is grand. Did you spend as much time guessing your winners as you did on the reward? :C Suspect a Super Bowl Party presentation. :2tsup: The Football is impressive.

Thanks for the posting and pictures.

Simomatra
14th January 2007, 11:27 AM
Nice work David.

Anybody would be glad to be the recipient

Wayne Blanch
14th January 2007, 02:56 PM
Lovely work David, I am sure the recipient will be pleased - I would be!

ss_11000
14th January 2007, 04:35 PM
cool trophy. well done:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th January 2007, 04:50 PM
Very effective! :2tsup:

It just goes to show that you don't need fancy turning to make something different. :) I also love the footy!

masoth
14th January 2007, 05:42 PM
Terrific; Both the design and the work - pity about the girlie shaped ball.:no:

soth

TTIT
15th January 2007, 12:33 AM
Impressive looking trophy David - great job. Is 'fantasy football' the same as the girlie game they play over there with suits of armour on so they can't get hurt????:; :U

dnelson
15th January 2007, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the comments. unfortunately i was not that good at picking my team so i miss out on the trophy this year.

and there is nothing wrong with playing with a little padding on.

I only was able to work on it on and off so it took a couple of months. and it is only the second thing that i have turned on the lathe.

Wongo
15th January 2007, 08:14 AM
Wow, that nut on top of the trophy is impressive. Well done buddy.

Wayne Blanch
15th January 2007, 10:13 AM
there is nothing wrong with playing with a little padding on.

I only was able to work on it on and off so it took a couple of months. and it is only the second thing that i have turned on the lathe.

There is nothing wrong with a LITTLE PADDING but HELMETS:?

Thats especially good work for your second effort!:2tsup:

Doc Ron
15th January 2007, 12:59 PM
The whole piece is finished in several coats of tongue oil.

I can't resist.. what kind of oil comes off your tongue? :C