PDA

View Full Version : Peace

Shedhand
15th January 2007, 11:49 AM
Anyone out there a Tom Waits fan? If so here is a brilliant track (mp3) off his latest Album which is a 3cd set entitled "Orphans". The track is called "Road to Peace". Even if you don't like the man the lyrics are beautiful. Listen quietly to the words. Here (http://media.anti.com/tom_waits/orphans/roadtopeace.mp3).

Lignum
15th January 2007, 12:05 PM
Love him, im a Huuuuuge fan:D What about the spoken story on the latest about the woman in the supermarket who reckons he looks like her deceased son... fantastic stuff.

Shedhand
15th January 2007, 12:09 PM
Love him, im a Huuuuuge fan:D What about the spoken story on the latest about the woman in the supermarket who reckons he looks like her deceased son... fantastic stuff.Ahhh. A kindred spirit. Dylan refers to Waits as "my secret hero".. nuff said. :2tsup:

Lignum
15th January 2007, 12:56 PM
I have - Closing time, Nighthawks at the dinner, Small Change, Heart of Saturday night (the song is where Cold Chislle ripped off "Saturday night") Blue Valentine, Heartattack and vine (My fav), Swordfish Trombone, One From the heart (brilliant, with Crystial Gayle) Rain dogs, Asylum years, Early years Vol 1, Mule Variations (my least fav)

And the best Tom Waits cover by one of Austs finnest bands Frente, with Angie Harts haunting version of Rubys Arms, and Bruce Springsteen a close second with Jersy Girl (Holly Cole also did a cracker of that song) and third place is Violent Femmes and "Step right up"

And i loved the song on Swordfish Trombone when he had a go at Vic Rail for closing the canteen at Serviston on the way to Mildura on the Overlander. Great stuff:D

Shedhand
15th January 2007, 04:29 PM
Did you see Tom on the Don Lane show many years ago. The d!ckhead lanky yank just didn't know how to handle him. Didn't realise that Waits was takin' the pi$$ bigtime. I have Raindogs, Heart Attack and Vine, Mule Variations and Nighthawks at the Diner in my car CD. Been there for at least 10 years. through 5 different cars. Never tire of them.

Lignum
15th January 2007, 05:35 PM
I do remember that and at the same time he done a concert at the Palais here in Melb videoed for (i think) the Old Grey Whistle Test, which i have a very, very worn copy. He started pi$$ed as a fart and drank a bottle of wiskey during the show and fell of the piano stool once..lol. But was absoulutly brilliant. Thats won reason im not to fond of Mule Variations as it was his first album as a tea-toatler and non smoker and he just lacked that spark. Albums since have been very good.

Shedhand
15th January 2007, 05:59 PM
He was swiggin' from a bottle of Gin and smokin' on the Lanky Yanks show..couldn't do it today...unless you're a mate of Peter Beattie.. :wink: