PDA

View Full Version : Dowel joint borer

appleleaf
15th January 2007, 09:01 PM
I'm putting together some coffee tables for myself and sister in-law using simple dowel joints. At TAFE I used a horizontal borer. At home I only have a Hand electric drill, Is there some way I can set this up to do boring accurately?

Gumby
15th January 2007, 09:06 PM
You need to make sure the holes are correct so a drill press is the go. Hand held wouldn't work.

There is a guide you can buy for a hand held drill but i don't know how accurate it is.

appleleaf
15th January 2007, 09:10 PM
If you are using a drill press how do you do the end holes in longer rails?

Gumby
15th January 2007, 09:14 PM
That is a problem.

You can try swinging it out over the end of the bench (if its a bench top type) but it isnt easy to clamp the timber and get it dead straight.

If you are going to do more of this then maybe invest in a hand held biscuit joiner or get a doweling jig from Carbatec.

appleleaf
15th January 2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks
I'll lookthem up

appleleaf
15th January 2007, 09:27 PM
Instead of dowels could I use some kind of biscuit machine?

Gumby
15th January 2007, 09:31 PM
Sure. If the biscuits are too long, just assemble it with them protruding out the top and cut them back level when dry.

Or you could always go for a mortise and tenon joint.

graemet
15th January 2007, 09:58 PM
Get hold of an Ozijig. I've had one for some years now, and although they take a bit of practice to use properly, it's amazing how versatile and accurate they can be. Clamp it onto the two pieces of timber and drill both in the same operation with a hand held drill.
Cheers
Graeme

Just George
15th January 2007, 10:14 PM
Keep your eyes out for ads in local newspapers. I bought a home made horizontal borer for $100, I couldn't even make one for that price. It came with bits and about 3000 dowels. The dowels alone must be worth about $200-300.

:thewave:

And, as I said - keep your out everywhere. That's in local newspapers, ebay, even place wanted ads, you never know when someone may want to sell something when they know there is a demand for it.

echnidna
16th January 2007, 11:18 AM
use a dowlling jig. they have guides for the drill bits and you'd have to really try hard to drill a hole that wasn't straight.

custos
16th January 2007, 03:03 PM
Also worth looking at is the BeadLOCK loose tenon jig (Google for a place near you). It works with a hand drill and can be used for loose tenons if you need the extra strength or as a dowelling jig for single or multiple dowels.

zenwood
16th January 2007, 03:42 PM
Here's another vote for the Ozziejig (http://www.ozziejigs.com.au/). Beautifully accurate, and really easy to use, once you get the concept of mirror image guide blocks. And only half the cost of a biscuit joiner.

Or, if you can clamp the two pieces to be joined, and you have a long enough drill bit, just drill the holes from the outside into the clamped joint through the two pieces of wood. The advantage of this method is that the dowels can be 'dovetailed' adding mechanical strength to the joint. You can use the hand-held drill and guide it by eye at a slight angle.

TrevorOwen
17th January 2007, 10:01 PM
Appleleaf

Zenwood has suggested to you the Ozzie Jig and I would do likewise. If you live at Mt Barker in the Adelaide Hills then I suggest you look at the thread under "Announcements" about a shed meet at Studley's on Sunday. If you would like to come then the jig can be shown to you.

Regards
Trevor Owen

Santalum
1st April 2007, 02:27 PM
Have just ordered a Self-Centering Dowelling Jig (http://www.timbercon.com.au/details/self-centering-dowelling-jig-9844.aspx)- DJ-21 from Timbecon WA, with a bit of luck will receive it tomorrow.
The Aussie made jig sounds interesting but just could not justify spending $260 plus freight for something I will use once in a blue moon.
Will post a report on how it performs late next week.
Jon.
PS Know this thread is 2yo but did not think it would hurt to give it an airing.

journeyman Mick
1st April 2007, 03:05 PM
....................PS Know this thread is 2yo but did not think it would hurt to give it an airing.

15th Jan 2007 09:01 PM
Which time warp did you get caught in?:? :q :D

Mick

Santalum
1st April 2007, 03:27 PM
Oops, looked at TrevorOwens join date, oh well it is April 1st.:B
15th Jan 2007 09:01 PM
Which time warp did you get caught in?:? :q :D

Mick

derekcohen
7th April 2007, 01:59 PM
I use a vintage Stanley #59 dowelling guide. There are modern copies around (I saw one at Bunnings). These are excellent - cheap, easy to set up, and very accurate.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Joints/Dowelling/Doweling3.jpg

I have been planning a tutorial on its use. This is a reminder to get it done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

zenwood
7th April 2007, 08:16 PM
I've never tried the antique version, but the modern copy is worse than useless. The 'v' marker has a rounded bottom which makes it hard to align, and the drill bit guides fit sloppily in the jig. A world of frustration.

I hope your vintage 59 works better than mine, which does nothing but gather dust.