PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for 10" jointer

martrix
15th January 2007, 09:37 PM
Here are some pics of my buzzer while I did some maintenance on it. Might be of some interest to someone who has never seen one with the tables off.

The dovetailed ways got a good clean with some EEE and a light pass over with a diamond hone to make sure everything was nice and smooth.

The main reason for doing this was so I could set up the tables properly, as they both dipped at the ends about 10mm:C .

When they went back together, I only ended up using about 0.7mm worth of shims, all on the outfeed table to get all the surfaces coplanar.

martrix
15th January 2007, 09:39 PM
Pic 1 is the rusty steel I used that was lying around. I think it was around 38mm x 3mm. Its extra work to clean the rust off, but its cheaper than buying it.

Pic 2 is the frame completed bar the castors........:ohcrap:dont laugh at my welding.

Pic 3 pass over with the ETS 150/3 and a lick of paint. Tomorrow I will drill/tap all the necessary holes for the castor's and the stabilising feet.

Pic 4 is of my MIG....it was the first thing I ever welded. More pics when finished.

Groggy
15th January 2007, 10:41 PM
Nice job there Martrix! Are you going to replace the bearings while it's in pieces?

martrix
15th January 2007, 10:45 PM
Nice job there Martrix! Are you going to replace the bearings while it's in pieces?

No, they seem to still be in good nick so I just jammed some more grease in with the grease gun.

martrix
18th January 2007, 10:42 AM
Finally got it done last night. I hate drilling 10mm holes with a power drill in steel.:Q

Pic 1.
I figured it would make life much easier if if got the machine onto the base before the castors were on, and then just jack it up a bit to bolt them on.

Simply tilted each end up by hand ( my back is reminding how heavy it was:rolleyes: ) and slipped under some sticks of redgum.
Then just danced it forward, much like the way moves:D , and then kerplunk into Pic 2. Bit of paint lost, no tears.

Pic 3.
The machine is bolted to the base and the castors bolted on. I made a base for my bandsaw, and it is a joke compared to this. No flex at all in the base apart from the flex in the castors, brilliant. I think I will beef up the bandsaw base.
All of my machines are now on wheels, so its going to make working and organising in the shop so much better with such a limited space.
There are also 4 stabilising feet that just screw down when you want to seat it in position.

Total cost (apart from my time and everything I already had)=$80

When I welded up the base, it ended up being a bit twisted(shamefully actually:- ). So once the machine was bolted to the base, I leveled up the whole machine with wedges, and then measured the appropriate packers for the castors.

The reason there is such big timber packers, is because I designed it to fit bigger Fallshaw castors, and at the moment its just got $10 total brake castors on. They seem to be pretty good, but of course time will tell.
I think I gained roughly 45mm in height, a compromise I'll happily make if it now means I can move this once immovable machine at any time.

Feel free to comment good/bad, or tell me what I should have done, cheers.

DJ’s Timber
18th January 2007, 11:16 AM
Looks like a good strong base there Martrix, but tell me what is that lead that disappears into the blade cover

martrix
18th January 2007, 11:20 AM
Looks like a good strong base there Martrix, but tell me what is that lead that disappears into the blade cover

Thanks DJ.
Its just a length of spring to pull back the guard against the fence.

I will make a better guard one day with one of those spring type things that incorporates with the same bolt the fixes the guard to the table.

Harry72
18th January 2007, 07:45 PM
Looks the part Martrix, should've given the jointer a lick of paint!

martrix
19th January 2007, 09:21 AM
Looks the part Martrix, should've given the jointer a lick of paint!
mmmm, the thought did cross my mind, but you know how it is...too many other things to get done.

I think I will wait until the bearings go on the cutter head. Once that happens and I have to change them, that will be the time when a resto will be in order......I might be waiting a while though (hopefully:( )

Wild Dingo
23rd January 2007, 02:04 AM
The reason there is such big timber packers, is because I designed it to fit bigger Fallshaw castors, and at the moment its just got $10 total brake castors on. They seem to be pretty good, but of course time will tell.

Nothin but praise here mate... bloody good job!!... just that comment above... where in thunderation does one get ANY sort of brake castor for $10 a pop??? :o

Otherwise brilliant... and I know Ive gotta make some of them for all my machines! would be nice to be able to move thme around a bit without eithe bustin me knuts doing so or havin to wait hours for a couple of the boys to come visiting just to move them :C I think this is more important than the alaskan mill youve been tempting me with eh? Machine Freedom!! :2tsup:

martrix
25th January 2007, 08:48 PM
Nothin but praise here mate... bloody good job!!... just that comment above... where in thunderation does one get ANY sort of brake castor for $10 a pop??? :o

Otherwise brilliant... and I know Ive gotta make some of them for all my machines! would be nice to be able to move thme around a bit without eithe bustin me knuts doing so or havin to wait hours for a couple of the boys to come visiting just to move them :C I think this is more important than the alaskan mill youve been tempting me with eh? Machine Freedom!! :2tsup:

Thats right WD, set your machines free! :plane:Its a beautiful thing being able to shift machinery around without blowing a foofer valve! Especially when its hard to swing a cat. :p :rolleyes:

Most general industrial supplies have no-name castors on the cheap. Look up Soundman also, hes got some heavy duty one too.

IMHO the best ones with 5 year guarantees are Fallshaw (http://www.fallshaw.com.au/productoverview/productoverview.htm)......extra $$'s though, but at least you can make up your own combination to suit your application. Their catalogue is hard to get your head around at first, and takes some studying.