PDA

View Full Version : masport 200/4 stroke sprint375 motor mower

jow104
16th January 2007, 10:54 AM
My landlady in sydney has lost the services of her lawn mower contractor and she has called up my expertise on serviceing the above mower that has not been used over the last 4 years.
Had a look at the manufacturers website but the model is not listed, Does anyone have this model and a service manual?
Or can anyone gives some good tips on getting this mower into action again (rotary cutter type). My first observation is there does not seem to be any throttle cable control, or doesn't this type of mower need such equiptment?

Cliff Rogers
16th January 2007, 02:19 PM
You may find that the motor is not a Masport.

I have a very old Masport self propelled mower & it has an 8Hp Briggs & Straton motor on it.

I just did a google on Sprint 375 & came up with Briggs & Straton.

Start here & it tells you how to find the engine model number.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=75000
Once you have that, you can download the owners manual & a parts list.
The site also has a troubleshooting guide.

Good luck.

dazzler
16th January 2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Jow

This is only dealing with the engine side of things;

Replace the spark plug.
Take the fuel tank off, drain it and give it a rinse with some fresh fuel.
Drop the bottom off the carburetor. It should have a bowl on the bottom held on by a clamp or bolts. Take this off and remove the fuel float (prob brass or plastic) and take out the fuel needle. Give it all a good clean and rinse with fuel.

Fill the fuel tank up and then turn on the fuel tap so that fuel flows out of the carby then turn off tap.

Put needle and float back in, turn fuel on and lift the float up to check it is cutting off fuel. If not get a new needle otherwise put on fuel bowl.

If its a 2 stroke you should be right to give it a start. There is probably a throttle lever on the motor somewhere near the carby.

If its a 4 stroke there should be a little plate on the side of the motor to do the valve clearances. Take it off and spray with a little wd4o or similar then slowly rotate the motor. You want to see these little fellas moving up and down as the motor is rotated. (unplug the sparkplug before this).

If they are both moving then check there is some clearance between the stem and the lifter.

Give it a start.

Hope that helps.

jow104
17th January 2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks for both replies.
it was a briggs and str.. 4 stroke 375.
So printing out instructions and will have a go this weekend

dazzler
20th January 2007, 09:56 AM
Jow

seeing as its a briggs and stratten pay good attention to the valves, they are prone to sticking if they sit for a while.

good luck

jow104
24th January 2007, 10:35 AM
Regret the mower service came to an abrupt end. There used tobe a throttle cable on this model but it has been canalbalised at some point in the past.