PDA

View Full Version : First attept at a bowl..

Gra
16th January 2007, 12:38 PM
Well, spent most of yesterday with djstimber. He spent a couple of hours showing me his enormous shed, and how to sharpen my chisels,

Thanks for all your help DJ. They work much better now..

He also showed me through his wood stash. I have never seen that much redgum in one place before.

Well to cut a story short I ended up coming home with a pile of timber, part of that pile included a Chestnut bowl blank. This is what it tuned into last night,

Not bad for a first try, A little break out inside the bowl, and maybe a little heavy (didnt want to push my luck for a first try)

ss_11000
16th January 2007, 12:59 PM
looks good gra :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
16th January 2007, 06:30 PM
Great effort for your first bowl Gra :2tsup:.

Happy to help out on sharpening your chisels, at least you know how to do them and what shape they should be :;.

Kids had a good time in "The Mistress" :U

fred.n
16th January 2007, 10:31 PM
Nice first bowl Gra
Keep up the good work:)

TTIT
17th January 2007, 12:28 AM
Don't worry about it being a little heavy Gra, once you gain more confidence, you can re-turn it as thin as you like - especially with sharp tools. Good to see your progress. Great first effort.:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th January 2007, 12:58 AM
There's nothing I can see "wrong" with that, mate! A bit thick, perhaps, but that's something you'll improve with time and practise.

If you've left a mortise or tenon for mounting, you can always rework it later, once you get more practice under your belt. But my advice is don't! It's your first, leave it be as a testament to your beginnings. It's nice to have your first couple of "whatevers" so that at a later date you can look back and do a direct comparison. And there will be times that you'll think your first "whatever" looks better than the piece you just turned! :D

(We all turn out the occasional crap piece... some of us more than others. :-)

Wild Dingo
17th January 2007, 01:17 AM
Well done Gra!! :2tsup: Bloody beauty I mean that really you shoulda seen my first piece... on second thought no one else did either!
Signed one waiting impatetiently for Derek to turn up for the meet and greet and show me the right way
Good on you DJ :2tsup:
Shane

Simomatra
17th January 2007, 08:24 AM
Nice one Gra

It good to complete the first ones get a little confidence and then on to another

I really got the turning bug which six months ago I didn't think would happen

CameronPotter
17th January 2007, 04:12 PM
Nice work. Unlike a lot of turners I actually have nothing against chunky bowls. Sure, they are a bit easier (which is why a lot of good turners see them as a bit amateurish), but I like a chunky bowl.:2tsup:

Anyway, well done!

Cam

BernieP
17th January 2007, 07:11 PM
G'Day Gra

Nice Bowl especially for first, sure makes a difference when tools are sharp dos'nt it.

Cheers
Bernie

Wayne Blanch
20th January 2007, 07:37 PM
Hey Gra, that a great effort for a first attempt:2tsup: . I reckon that my first bowl was bl**dy near square and so chunky that you could barely lift it :(( so yours is excellent. and was said earlier in the thread you could re-turn it if you wished later but I agree with Skew leave it as it is so that later you can look back and see how you started.

I was recently at a friends place and whilst there they used a sugar bowl that I had given them 3 or 4 years ago. I was so embarrassed by the thing that I went straight home and knocked up one to replace it. When I gave it to them they wouldn't give me the other one back (I wanted to hide it in the firewood pile:doh: .) They wanted to keep it to as they thought it was nice still.

What I am saying is that as you progress your technique will improve and your products will become more "Professional" but what you turn today is great on the day and will always be at least a teaching experience, and a step towards that professional look. I think I learn a lot more from the things that are failures than I do from the things that come out to my satisfaction.

All in all I wish my first bowl was as good as your is, great work:U

Cliff Rogers
20th January 2007, 09:25 PM
OK Gra, sit down..... you are 37 & I know you have a thick skin. :D
My turn.....:p

The shape.... :cool:

Did you notice the word 'chunky' & the phrase 'a bit thick'?
The good news is that they weren't talking about you. :wink:

I've seen girls with bums like that bowl. :surprise:

FAQ trying to read between the lines mate... put it back on the lathe & fix its bum. :D

BTW. Nice bit of wood & nice first attempt. :2tsup:

Gra
20th January 2007, 09:58 PM
So Cliff, you are saying, my bum looks big in this...:D:D:D

Cliff Rogers
20th January 2007, 10:14 PM
So Cliff, you are saying, my bum looks big in this...:D:D:D

Let me see..... how can I say this????? :rolleyes:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=28944&d=1156391417