PDA

View Full Version : Brushing teeth with water running

Wongo
16th January 2007, 01:26 PM
Can someone please tell me why do people do that? I see a number of people do that at work for up to 2-3 minutes. I usually tell them not to (in a friendly way of course).

Regardless of our water problem, there is still no reason to do so. WHY??

:(( :(( :(( :(( :((

silentC
16th January 2007, 01:32 PM
OK I'll have a stab at it.

We all know that the sound of running water is often a good trigger when you need to go but can't.

Some people have problems of this nature and so need the aural stimulant to get things happening. This can be a bit embarrassing for them, so standing there with the tap running when Wongo walks in might make then feel a bit foolish.

Brushing the teeth is a plausible reason for running the water for a length of time as required to get nature working and is a good cover for their real problem.

Therefore, if you take a tape recorder to work playing an endless loop of a tap running, then your concern and their problem will be dealt with efficiently and discreetly.

Thankyou, that will be $75 for the first consultation.

Waldo
16th January 2007, 01:48 PM
Can someone please tell me why do people do that?

G'day Wongo,

Because they're lazy sods and can't turn the water off once they've got some water on their toothpaste. :ranting2: :devil:

1. put toothpaste on brush

2. turn on tap

3. put loaded toothbrush under tap

4. turn off water

5. brush teeth

6. on finishing brushing teeth, spit used toothpaste from mouth into basin

7. turn on water to rinse mouth and basin

8. turn off water

9. return toothbrush to place of storage.

Maybe it's all too hard to do. :?

Wongo
16th January 2007, 01:57 PM
I believe that a lot of people do that too. Is it part of the western culture?

echnidna
16th January 2007, 02:03 PM
How despicable!!!

Im glad I don't do that, I'd hate ter upsetya Wongo.

But I do leave the tap running while I shave :whistling2:

Wongo
16th January 2007, 02:06 PM

That is the bit I don't understand. What is the point beside wasting water.

silentC
16th January 2007, 02:19 PM
I believe that a lot of people do that too
Do what?

I used to work with a Vietnamese guy and he used to blow his nose with his fingers and wash them under a running tap.

bitingmidge
16th January 2007, 02:33 PM
I had a sister who learned tap-dancing.

P
:)

Grunt
16th January 2007, 05:22 PM
while standing on Midge's head.

Gumby
16th January 2007, 05:24 PM
I'm trying to work out how you see people brushing their teeth in the first place ? :?

Apart from my wife and kids, I never see anybody else doing it.

I agree with you BTW. It's a total waste of good water.:((

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th January 2007, 05:43 PM
Obviously whoever you've been perving on... errrm... watching... weren't on tank water only.

One of the first things you learn is: fill a cup with water, then brush your teeth. Lack of drinking water teaches harsh lessons. :(

silentC
16th January 2007, 06:05 PM
When I worked in an office it was quite a normal thing to see people cleaning their teeth in the men's room :)

DavidG
16th January 2007, 06:55 PM
Just put mine in a cup of water when I want to clean them.:roll:

Landseka
16th January 2007, 10:43 PM

I used to do that til I nearly electrocuted myself! :doh:

fred.n
16th January 2007, 10:51 PM
I to, used to leave the tap running when I brushed my teeth, it's just what we did in those days, but the first trip to Bali in the mid 80's sorted that RIGHT out.:oo: :oo: Bali belly just from washing your teeth.:o Had to use bottled water after that, and reailised you need BUGGER ALL water to clean the fangs

Lignum
16th January 2007, 10:53 PM
Wongo do you wee in the shower to save on an unnesesary flush of the toilet:?

Ashore
16th January 2007, 11:00 PM
Needs A Poll

peter_sm
16th January 2007, 11:44 PM
It seems some people did not grow up on tank water only?

Shedhand
17th January 2007, 12:56 AM
I still chomp on charcoal. Cleans my teeth and absorbs gas in the stomach. That way I avoid the mass poisoning they call fluoridation. Which by the way is a total waste of time. If its supposed to be so efficacious in the prevention of tooth decay why the hell is there such an epidemic of rotten teeth and huge wait lists at dental clinics. Don't ask your dentist (as I did) because he/she will strike you off the client list (as mine did).

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th January 2007, 01:46 AM
Don't ask your dentist (as I did) because he/she will strike you off the client list (as mine did).

Don't bite him either. Even if he is stupid enough to stick his fingers far enough down your throat to trigger yer gag reflex. :rolleyes:

:ranton:
We had an Indian gundu dentist take over our local's practise and, against my better judgement, went for a checkup. First appointment, he extracted a tooth without anaesthetic! Seriously! "Just raise your hand if it hurts" he said, as he was probing around. The next thing I know he's latched on and started pulling! Up goes the hand... not once, not twice, but three times! Not to catch his attention, I was seriously trying to slug the mongrel! :(( Bloody light on his feet, he was... must've had a lot of practise at dodging incomings. :(( Did I go in complaining of a toothache? No. Did I give him permission to extract? With or without anesthetic is irrelevant 'cos the answer is No! This was an ordinary, everyday check-up!

That extraction gave me a dry socket. Definitely didn't want to go back to that butcher, but SWMBO convinced me to give the mongrel a chance to prove himself. (But the children love him! [snort]) While probing around, making smart-#### comments about my lack of dental hygiene causing the dry socket :oo: :oo: (so now it's my fault his butchery screwed up, eh?) he shoved his fingers way, way down my throat. And I bit him. Hard. Hard enough to draw blood. And I bloody well meant to,. too! :dev:

I also refused to pay his bill for either sessions, referring him to my solicitor.

So, I had to change dentists. :rolleyes: Time for the next check up, I approached a bloke in another town. Made an appointment and... a week later he cancelled! Ring to find out why and "he's too busy. Can't fit you in." Odd! I mean, I've cancelled before, but to have the dentist ring me to cancel? There's a first!

Make another appointment with a different dentist and a few days later his secretary rings and cancels. What gives? Apparently, dentists share medical records like doctors and on mine is something along the lines of "abusive bastard. bites! welches on payment." in BIG red gundu letters. :((

What I want to know is: where's the records on the dentists that records such minor details as "incompetent butcher," "too cheap to administer anesthetic during extractions," "performs unauthorised operations" or "doesn't sterilise dental equipment"?? Hmmm?
:rantoff:

I had no problems with dentists before him. Anyone who knows me now knows I despise 'em with a vengeance! Some things mark your psyche forever...

Flowboy
17th January 2007, 03:38 AM
I use EEE Ultrashine. Just buff off with a Dremel (which is just a dentists drill) and it leaves your teeth with that newly french polished feel and smell.:D

Wongo
17th January 2007, 09:22 AM
Well I work in a big company and I see people brushing their teeth after lunch all the time. I am sorry but it really bothers when I know that our dam level is so low and people are wasting water. There must be something we can do to help.

This bloke washed his coffee mug in the kitchen this morning. The tap was on for about 3-4 minutes, that’s how long I take my shower. It is absolutely unnecessary.

Yesterday, another bloke pulled about 2m of paper towel to dry his hands. What the hell, what did he need so much paper for?

I am off the see my doctor.

silentC
17th January 2007, 09:45 AM
Scott, I know that my way is not always the best way but in that situation, have you thought about saying something to them? That's what I would do. Something like "why do you leave the tap running while you clean your teeth? Are you trying to drain the dam single-handed?" Or "hey you ####wit, has no-one told you we're in a drought?" Works for me.

Wongo
17th January 2007, 10:03 AM
Silent, I’ll pick the first one thanks.:D

Shedhand
17th January 2007, 10:32 AM
skew, sue the idiot and refer him to the ADA.

Shedhand
17th January 2007, 10:34 AM
the tap was on for about 3-4 minutes, that’s how long I take my shower. It is absolutely unnecessary. Save water shower with a friend, :D

Waldo
17th January 2007, 10:39 AM
Wongo do you wee in the shower to save on an unnesesary flush of the toilet:?

Needs A Poll

Wongo needs a poll to wee wee? :o Can someone please help out this poor unfortunate friend of ours? :D

Iain
17th January 2007, 01:13 PM
If this is becoming a toilet issue maybe we need to pass a motion:rolleyes:

journeyman Mick
17th January 2007, 02:51 PM
Scott, I know that my way is not always the best way but in that situation, have you thought about saying something to them? That's what I would do. Something like "why do you leave the tap running while you clean your teeth? Are you trying to drain the dam single-handed?" Or "hey you ####wit, has no-one told you we're in a drought?" Works for me.

You're such a charmer mate:q , maybe you should consider a career which would enable you to display your oratory skills.:D Lawyer, preacher, politician.:oo:

Mick (I'd say the same :U )

silentC
17th January 2007, 02:54 PM
It's a wonder I don't get more black eyes actually. If people knew I punch like a sissy, they probably wouldn't take so much lip from me :wink:

Shedhand
17th January 2007, 03:30 PM
It's a wonder I don't get more black eyes actually. If people knew I punch like a sissy, they probably wouldn't take so much lip from me :wink:My missus punches like coalminer..DAMHIKT :(

AlexS
17th January 2007, 04:55 PM
I had no problems with dentists before him. Anyone who knows me now knows I despise 'em with a vengeance! Some things mark your psyche forever...

Never had any problems with the dentist. Just grab him by the family jewels and say "We won't hurt each other, will we?":D

Flowboy
17th January 2007, 05:02 PM
Wongo needs a poll to wee wee? :o Can someone please help out this poor unfortunate friend of ours? :D

So long as his missus doesn't back over him while he's "cleaning" himself in the driveway, all should be well.:o

Bleedin Thumb
17th January 2007, 05:28 PM
Personally I don't give a toss over water restrictions. Do you think the pollies in their 6 bedroom 3 bathroom mansions with automatic irrigated lawns care?
They are the ########'s that could have adopted recycling years ago but preferred to dump sewerage out to sea.
They are the ########'s that will take the dumb option (NSW) to build a desalination plant.

This problem was identified about 18 years ago and what did they do?
Nothing

I don't get it.... they charge me for my water usage and then say don't use it...How does that work?
About 3 years ago I did a 180 home subdivision where they placed grey water recycle pipes underground for the whole estate... then didn't connect them....because they weren't required to.:((

Getting all heated about a running tap while your cleaning your teeth seems to be misdirected anger to me.:rolleyes:
Turning a tap off ain't going to solve the problem, political motivation triggered by voter backlash may.

nakal
17th January 2007, 09:29 PM
When showering....do you turn the tap off while soaping your body or leaving it running?.

journeyman Mick
18th January 2007, 12:21 AM
When showering....do you turn the tap off while soaping your body or leaving it running?.

Depends on how full my tank is/how much rain we've had.:D

Mick