PDA

View Full Version : Leigh or Gifkins

Packrat Pete
16th January 2007, 05:35 PM
Here I was, just about to order the Gifkins jig with a couple of templates and then someone says to check out the Leigh 1600 jig which does through, blind and sliding dovetails for around the same price. Now I can't make up my mind. Can't afford both, which one??????? :doh:

Gumby
16th January 2007, 05:38 PM
For ease of use, Gifkins.

If you want to get a bit more fancy, then get the Leigh.

It all depends on what you want to make.

Then of course, there's the Incra too. :)

Have a read of this thread
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=43596

Just George
16th January 2007, 08:25 PM
Here I was, just about to order the Gifkins jig with a couple of templates and then someone says to check out the Leigh 1600 jig which does through, blind and sliding dovetails for around the same price. Now I can't make up my mind.
:doh:

As my learned friend says(Hi Gumby)
It all depends on what you want to make..

If you get two or more templates/jigs you'll be spending "up there dollars" so decide what you want.

The Leigh as it comes out of the box does Through Dovetails, Blind Dovetails and Sliding Dovetails. With additional templates it can do Box/Finger Joints and Isoloc Dovatils as well - the Gifkins does Through Dovetails.

The Leigh has varialbe spacings of it fingers. The Gifkins doesn't.

The Leigh can do boards up to 400mm, the Gifkins does 300mm only.

The Gifkins uses a router table so you don't have to control a router, and if you have a large heavy one like a Triton/Makita/Hitachi/etc this can be difficult especially if you have a few to do.

If "Australian Made" is important to you - go the Gifkins. Support our local businesses.

If you are after ease of set up, a set up that stays set up - time after time. Go for the Gifkins, the only time you need to change the setting is if you change the backing boards or when you get the bits sharpened.

Can't afford both, which one??????? :doh:

I know this because I have both the Leigh D1600 and the Gifkins with multiple templates. They both have a use in my workshop, they are both good at what they do.

Look at it this way, I drive a Holden and wouldn't be caught dead driving a Ford. :whatonearth:

Different horses for different courses. :whistling1:

ciscokid
16th January 2007, 11:12 PM
If doing half blind dovetails, once the Leigh jig is dialed in to a particular stock thickness, you can do halfblind dovetails for weeks and never change anything except the custom finger spacing if desired. Just don't take the bit out of the router or it will have to be set up again.
Through dovetails are another matter since these require you to change router bits for pins and sockets.
I am so pleased with the performance and ease of use with half blind dovetails that I now have a dedicated router (Porter Cable 690) just for them. All I have to do is plane my stock to 19 mm each time and I know the joints will fit accurately.
I haven't tried any of the Isoloc templates yet, but I have a birthday coming up this spring and I plan on asking for one.

Stuart
16th January 2007, 11:39 PM
http://www.incra.biz/assets/JoinerySamples.jpg

:D

mat
17th January 2007, 09:52 AM
Pete

I went through this process and chose the Leigh. Mainly because my projects were mainly larger than small boxes where the Gifkins excels.

Although others deny a problem with large draw or box parts on a gifkins the weight can easily exceed the gifkin jig causing problems with stability on the router table. With the leigh the part is firmly clamped in place.

The leigh easily allows half pins at any distance allowing for perfect spacing on any width board. The gifkins no so.

Don't forget the D1600 is only $449 at MIK at the present time.

mcarthur
17th January 2007, 12:49 PM
I hummed and hahed between the two and ended up with the Leigh 1600 for the ability to do through and half, and the variable spacing. I would have preferred to support Roger though.

Rob

Just George
17th January 2007, 06:06 PM
Although others deny a problem with large draw or box parts on a gifkins the weight can easily exceed the gifkin jig causing problems with stability on the router table. With the leigh the part is firmly clamped in place.

Are you talking about long pieces? I agree with you even though I have done sides of boxes that were a little over 1000mm long. I was careful that I held onto them at all times through the process.

I do agree with you though...

Storm
19th January 2007, 11:03 AM
I have got a Leigh and am just starting out, the biggest issue for me is getting the router set up properly. I have been mucking around with through dovetails so far and will go to half ASAP after reading this thread.
I have attached a link for a review of the Leigh http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/leighd1600.htm.
It is exceptional well made, hard to fault.

Cruzi
5th March 2007, 04:43 AM
I am thinking of getting a Leigh 1600, but the expense of the bit kit (CMT)pushes up the price to nearly $800 (jig, bit set and delivery).

How many different kinds of joins can you do with the kit supplied bits?

I particularly want it for blind dovetails (drawers) and inlaid through dovetails (Boxes), in stock ranging from 10mm up to 19mm.

Plus, my hand held router is a GMC 1250 watt (I think), do the supplied template guides work with this router ? (a better router is on wish list)

BTW, can borrow the Gifkins from the Club and although very simple to use, found it very limiting.

Tex B
5th March 2007, 09:44 AM
If you have two routers, with the Leigh you can set one with the dovetail and one with the straight bit for doing through dovetails. Makes it a bit easier.

Tex

mat
9th April 2007, 12:43 PM
Cruzi

You don't need to buy the CMT kit. There are some router bits included in the kit and others are available individually. LeeVally also has some.

At $424 from MIK at the present time it is a bargain buy.

Just George
9th April 2007, 01:48 PM
How many different kinds of joins can you do with the kit supplied bits?

Through dovetails, blind dovetails and sliding dovetails. Finger joints are also done I think, I haven't gone that far yet though.

All in the kit with no more to spend...

routermaniac
11th April 2007, 08:43 PM
I have the Gifkins and I am very happy with it. It works very well, is extremely quick and the results are excellent. The Leigh is more versatile but at the price of being more fiddly to set-up.

Someone has mentioned that they plan to use a GMC router with their dovetail jig. Personally I think if you will fork out that sort of money on a jig you should look at a better router. My experience with GMC has been not so uncommon collet slip and this can easily damage either of the jigs.

Also with regards to sliding dovetail joints which is one of the "features" of the Leigh, provided you have a flat router table and a fence the only thing you need to do these is a dovetail cutter. A jig in my opinion is a waste of time.

A simple shop made jig will also suffice for finger joints.

regards

Marios

Scally
12th April 2007, 09:04 PM
I ended up with the Leigh because of its versatility.

I can use any width boards and adjust the fingers to suit.

Two routers make the job much quicker and easier.

Billyboydes
14th April 2007, 10:59 PM
I also have the Leigh 1600. A bit of a fiddle to set up but more versatile. Certainly more bang for the buck in my opinion.:2tsup:

mat
6th June 2007, 03:56 PM
The D1600 is now $407.45 at MIK. I noticed they also have a new store in Emu Plains in NSW. Must be somewhere near Felder.

Just George
6th June 2007, 04:10 PM
The D1600 is now $407.45 at MIK. I noticed they also have a new store in Emu Plains in NSW. Must be somewhere near Felder.

That is a good price, they're normally $499.00...........

meerkat
6th June 2007, 05:37 PM
I have both.

The Gifkins for smaller work like small boxes etc. Of course you need to get a different template for thicker work/different spacing too.

I'm pretty comfortable with the leigh now. Like others said, a bit fiddly to set up but once done its great. Don't need another template for thicker work either like the gifkins.

Horses for courses.

munruben
6th June 2007, 10:32 PM
I bought the Gifkins jig at the Brisbane show. I had always avoided doing a dovetail joint but thought I would buy a jig and have a go. I am more than pleased with the quality of the jig and more importanttly, the quality of the dovetail joint itself. It took a couple of attempts (my fault not the jig) but if you follow the video included in the package, its easy. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can do it.
Or if you want to see a demo before buying the jig, download Gumby's video from this forum, shows you how easy it is to use.
Incidentally, Leigh are now producing a new 12" jig but dont know if it is available in Australia yet.
Here is a pic of my first attempts, just used pine to practice with.

ian
6th June 2007, 10:43 PM
I went through this process and chose the Leigh. Mainly because my projects were mainly larger than small boxes where the Gifkins excels.

Although others deny a problem with large draw or box parts on a gifkins the weight can easily exceed the gifkin jig causing problems with stability on the router table.Mat
the Gifkins is "just" a template for guiding the router bit.
It excells for small parts like box sides, but for longer/heavier parts why don't you support the part in a vice and clamp the jig to the end of the work and use a hand held router guided by the Gifkin's template?

ian

munruben
10th June 2007, 01:39 PM
Mat
the Gifkins is "just" a template for guiding the router bit.
It excells for small parts like box sides, but for longer/heavier parts why don't you support the part in a vice and clamp the jig to the end of the work and use a hand held router guided by the Gifkin's template?

ian
The Gifkins jig wasn't really designed for that type of application but I guess it would work but I think if you were doing long pieces repeatedly, the Leigh would be the way to go.

I_wanna_Shed
20th August 2007, 08:33 PM
The most common "complaint" when comparing the Leigh and the Gifkins is that it can be difficult and/or dangerous to attempt long pieces in the Gifkins.

But on the other side of the coin, is it possible to do small, detailed work on the Leigh 1600? That is, the 6mm pins that can be done easily on the Gifkins, is it easy to do these on the Leigh?

I'm trying to ask if the Gifkins is more suited to smaller work such as boxes and drawers, and is the Leigh jig restricted to larger items (ie: not detailed boxes)?

Thanks for your help,
Nathan.

Cruzi
20th August 2007, 11:00 PM
Gifkins cannot do half blinds need for drawers, the leigh 1600 can work any (almost) board up to 13/16 for through dovetails and 1' for blinds.

Have used 8mm and 19mm boards in it for through dovetails with no trouble, for gifkins you need a few different guides to be able to do this.

The ability to place 1, 2 or as many pins as you can fit on the board is also there with the leigh.

For ease of use, the gifkins is unbeatable, for versatility the leigh is hard to beat IMHO.