PDA

View Full Version : The box after the one before

Flowboy
16th January 2007, 07:29 PM
Hi,
This is what I was practising for with the Pacific Kauri.
Birdseye Huon pine for the body of the box
Fiddleback RG for the inlay,
Hoop Pine for the bottom.
Fingers are 1/4", hinge is a standard 300mm Piano hinge, mortised in using a Veritas Router Plane. In future I think I will use wooden hinges as I think I have a method for making1/16-1/2" pins for the hinge.
The bottom is a floating piece of Hoop Pine rebated to give a 4mm lip and set into a groove created using a 4mm Slot cutter. The groove was made by moving the workpiece into the running router at an appropriate point, then removing it at the end point. (Both determined by eye.) The rounded ends of the slot were squared using a Dremel microtool fitted with a burr bit.
I like the combination of the red gum, strong, bold and solid with the Huon Pine, which is delicate, but deceptive in its character. (I know, sounds like BS, but I really believe, so shoot me) I think its encouraged me to make other boxes reflecting various facets of Australian timbers.
Just so you know, SWMBO has two ideas for it.
1. Sit it in the walk in Pantry so she can chuck curry powders in it.:o :C :no:
2. Make it a Tea caddy. I don't think theres that much tea in Australia is there???

Enough rambling,

Regards,

Rob the Verbose

martrix
16th January 2007, 07:33 PM
nice piece Rob! That panel of Redgum is awesome.

Is there a finger missing in pic 3?

Flowboy
16th January 2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Martrix,
There is indeed a missing finger. It was warned to stay away from the TS! Seriously, when cutting the fingers I went right through the middle if a Birdseye. You cant see it but the stump of the finger is there showing very black. There's not much you can do when both long and end grain are to show, so its part of the character of the box now.:U

Incidentally, I hunted high and low in my shed for that piece of RG. I actually bought it some time ago from AFT. I felt it was important in the context of the contrast of timbers that it had to be a good example of Fiddleback and not just high figure.

Regards,

Rob

jaspr
16th January 2007, 07:53 PM
Hi,
Just so you know, SWMBO has two ideas for it.
1. Sit it in the walk in Pantry so she can chuck curry powders in it.:o :C :no:
2. Make it a Tea caddy. I don't think theres that much tea in Australia is there???

Now Flowboy I don't know your good lady, but this might be a big hint for some jewelry to go in it!! :roll: Go on - indulge her.:U :D

jas

Stuart
16th January 2007, 07:57 PM
Nah - it's an alternate storage for a domino

ss_11000
16th January 2007, 09:02 PM
great box. the RG looks awesome...

cheers

ozwinner
16th January 2007, 09:36 PM
I dont know if id be storing tea in Huon.
It would impart an awful taste.

So tools it is..:2tsup:

Al :no:

Ticky
16th January 2007, 10:14 PM
Rob, great looking box mate. I love the redgum contrast. I am a real fan of red gum / jarrah etc, it seems to look great in any application.

I also love the finger joints.

Steve

Wild Dingo
17th January 2007, 01:37 AM
Beautiful Rob! :2tsup: I love contrasts in whatever I make it brings out the flavors of both timbers which some can be boring on its own... looks brilliant :cool:

Sculptured Box
17th January 2007, 06:13 AM
Rob

Nice looking box, what size is it?

Where did you source the Huon birdseye?

Flowboy
17th January 2007, 06:40 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for the kind comments. The red gum is spectacular I must admit, But so is the Huon.

The box is 300x20x200mm. Sorry I should have said that before.:)

The Huon, Redgum and Hoop pine were all purchased from Australian Furniture Timbers as "samples" that they keep in their office. Quite often they have some great timbers, but usually in lengths which are difficult to work with.

Thanks again,

Rob

Harry72
17th January 2007, 07:45 AM
Nice work FB, the contrast is just right.