PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection for the Lathe

Hickory
17th January 2007, 02:23 PM
I have seen fellows sending out pictures with in the background, the DC hose duct taped and clamped to light fixtures, roller stands Music stands studs pipes and anything you can think of to hold it near when sanding on the lathe. Well the other day I was holding the hose between my legs trying to catch as much dust as I could when (could have been loss of oxygen from breathing dust) a idea sparked in my worn out old brain. ....

A while back I got an idea about turning 3" PVC pipe couplings to a taper to fit the quick connect on my 4" DC hose (so I could interchange the hose from machine to machine quickly, and cheaply) :huh: Why not a quick connect and hang it from the Tool Rest.... You don't need the tool rest when you are sanding. All safety rules say to remove the rest when you sand.
Today I picked up a 3" PVC coupling and found the old jig I made to turn them , and made another , affixed it to a 3/4" dowel rod and mounted it in the Tool Rest Holder (Banjo for the Brits)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/DCforLathe.jpg

Here it is mounted behind the turning as if to sand from the bottom, but I will most likely use it in front as I usually sand from the top. Whilst writing this, my little mind sparked another thought... (Multi-tasking) I think I will affix some 1/2" hardware cloth (Rat Wire) across the opening so my sandpaper doesn't get sucked into the DC. (I loose a lot of paper that way)
Now both hands are free to work and the DC can be place close enough to gather the dust and can be moved all about for different sized projects.

Okay, just went back to the shop and cut a piece of wire screen a little larger than the hole and forced it in place, snug fit and seems to work well, will keep from sending paper and pads to the Abiss...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/DCscreen.jpg

Thanks for looking and and hope this sparks some ideas for you.

joe greiner
17th January 2007, 03:43 PM
Not bad, Hickory. Likely adaptable to a variety of systems.

Joe

ss_11000
17th January 2007, 04:19 PM
mmm looks good, certainly better than my setup right now :cool:

Tiger
18th January 2007, 08:53 AM
This post looks interesting but I can't see any pictures, all I see is the text. Could any of the Forum members tell me what I need to do to the computer so that I can see the images?

Little Festo
18th January 2007, 09:45 AM
Hickory,good Idea. Have any members had problems with "static in the pipes". Is this mostly a problem when the humidity is low. I believe that the problem can be eliminated/reduced by running a wire through the hose and earthing equipment.

Peter

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th January 2007, 01:08 PM
I've been doing the same thing, Hickory, except I use the "spare" banjo off my other MC-900. Because the MC-XX00 banjos are articulated (an arm in the banjo, then the tool rest post) I can often set it up at the headstock end and still have enough reach that I can use it with the other banjo while actually turning without sacrificing bed height.

Especially handy for getting the dust out of the larger hollow forms. :)

Have any members had problems with "static in the pipes". Is this mostly a problem when the humidity is low. I believe that the problem can be eliminated/reduced by running a wire through the hose and earthing equipment.

I've never yet run across anyone who's actually had problems with static in the ducts. Heard rumours, yes. Actual cases, no. [shrug] PVC theoretically is a good enough insulator that even if it IS fully charged up, touching it will only earth a few square centimetres of the duct... as I understand it, you'd have to touch the whole length at the same time (how big are your hands? :wink: ) to get anything even approaching a carpet shock.

I've heard of people simply running a wire run down the inside of the duct, or wrapping the duct in an earthed wire or even going to the extreme of adding rivets every few inches along the duct and connecting them to earth. Personally I haven't bothered with any of that, have never had the problem and don't ever expect to. [shrug] If I ever should get a good zap from the ducts, you can be assured these forums will be the first to hear me whinge! :D

There's been plenty of discussion of this on these forums though, if you feel like doing a search...

cedar n silky
18th January 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that idea, Hickory.
My brain must be really worn out cause I was standing there just the other day, doing exactly the same thing
"holding the hose in between my Knees":no:
I am going to do it !!:) :D :doh:

OGYT
18th January 2007, 02:27 PM
Good idea, Hickory. Thanks for lendin' it to us.
Greenie launched.

Stuart
18th January 2007, 02:32 PM
I've never yet run across anyone who's actually had problems with static in the ducts. Heard rumours, yes. Actual cases, no. [shrug] PVC theoretically is a good enough insulator that even if it IS fully charged up, touching it will only earth a few square centimetres of the duct... as I understand it, you'd have to touch the whole length at the same time (how big are your hands? :wink: ) to get anything even approaching a carpet shock.

I've heard of people simply running a wire run down the inside of the duct, or wrapping the duct in an earthed wire or even going to the extreme of adding rivets every few inches along the duct and connecting them to earth. Personally I haven't bothered with any of that, have never had the problem and don't ever expect to. [shrug] If I ever should get a good zap from the ducts, you can be assured these forums will be the first to hear me whinge! :D

There's been plenty of discussion of this on these forums though, if you feel like doing a search...Come around to my place sometime Skew - my little cyclone generates as much static that the shock is as strong as you'd get from touching an electric fence!

Thanks for the suggestion Hickory!

Hickory
18th January 2007, 02:39 PM
Static and dust and Vacuum, etc. I have never been zapped by the DC but have been lit up with my shop vac. That seems to move dust at a faster rate and creates a good eal of electrical impulse. Once I was cleaning up a good deal of spew and dust and after sucking for a few minutes I found myself surrounded by metal machinery and everywhere I move I would get a zap, I had to reach over on piece toswitch off the shop vack and when I did... It was like a macinegun drilling me. Wow! Was that exciting! :o :2tsup: Lets do it again:no:

Thanks for the kind words on the DC holder,

ticklingmedusa
18th January 2007, 03:28 PM
I dont mean to hijack your thread Hickory.

I like your collector esp. the mounting.
This might be interesting to some .
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=shop&file=articles_221.shtml#who
tm

SawDustSniffer
18th January 2007, 08:47 PM
i think the problem with static is mainly bad news when using MDF , as it can explode if the air / dust mix is right , hence the wire down the tube ( witch is more likely to cause sparks ,so thay go for rivits every square inch ) i think OHS demands metal duckting in cabnit making shops

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th January 2007, 09:32 PM
Come around to my place sometime Skew - my little cyclone generates as much static that the shock is as strong as you'd get from touching an electric fence!

You getting the shock from your cyclone or your ductwork?? There's a difference between the two... :wink:

Stuart
18th January 2007, 10:05 PM
Cyclone :rolleyes:

TTIT
19th January 2007, 12:23 AM
Top idea Hickory - making a note of that one - especially cos' the stubby banjo has an extra rest-mount on the far end so I wouldn't even have to remove the rest to attach the hose.:U

Doc Ron
19th January 2007, 01:32 AM
I am DEFINITELY gonna do this! :2tsup:

gidgee 1
19th January 2007, 12:25 PM
Come around to my place sometime Skew - my little cyclone generates as much static that the shock is as strong as you'd get from touching an electric fence!

Thanks for the suggestion Hickory!

Hi Stuart
Is that the cyclone I sent you in 2003 :) I thought you were going to earth it then:rolleyes:
Cheers
gidgee

Stuart
19th January 2007, 01:19 PM
:yourock2: It sure is!!! I totally lost track of who gave it to me way back when - have wondered occasionally.

It is still going strong, been shown down at the club a few times, and has survived a number of reconfigurations of dust collection in the shop.

As to earthing - yes it is, but occasionally I have broken the wire, or it has slipped or something, and then I sure do discover the fact with a bang!

TimberNut
19th January 2007, 03:30 PM
i keep reading threads where people say they've never encountered static shock from DC pipework.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then. I use the 4in flexible hose most guys get with their dust collectors, and just hold it and wave around the floor to vacuum up all the sawdust shavings etc at the end of the day. The zap I get is so strong, I now do it one handed, and ALWAYS keep the other hand on something metal to ground myself. Damn zap hurts too much! (and I'm not talking a little 'tickle' either - those suckers are strong!)

The dog got zapped once when I was cleaning up. Couldn't catch him for hours. Now he won't come near the shed any more (and is scared ####less of the dust collector)... Ask him - he knows what static shock feels like.

baxter
19th January 2007, 03:36 PM
Timnbernut, my dusty is also connected with 4" flexible hose. When finished turning I disconnect that hose and use a long length of 2" flexible hose as a vacuum to clean up what I don't sweep up.

I have never been zapped:o - either with the 4" hose or the 2" hose - however my dust collector does have an earth lead between the motor section and a metal section. Maybe you should investigate this possibility:D .

Hickory
20th January 2007, 02:14 AM
I don't know if it helps or not but my DC is sitting under a waterpipe to the bathroom upstairs, I ran a length of copper wire from the case of the DC to the Water Pipe which grounded (Earthed) the DC. The beast is grounded through the plug wire but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put it on a tether.

Never really got a zap from the DC, Just the old Shop Vac... I have a new Shop Vac and haven't been lit up (yet) with it.

DIY DAN
20th January 2007, 10:08 PM
Top idea Hickory - making a note of that one - especially cos' the stubby banjo has an extra rest-mount on the far end so I wouldn't even have to remove the rest to attach the hose.:U

I took a slightly different approach to DC. Also used a PVC fitting ( don't know what its called), but its to collect rain water from a gutter into a downpipe. Mounted it on a block which slides on a cheap curtain track an d can thus be moved along the full length of the lathe bed. Works great, especially for sanding and its not in the way when I'm turning.
Couple of shots shows what I'm on about.

DIY DAN

joe greiner
21st January 2007, 12:05 AM
Nice setup, Dan. Wouldn't hurt to put the lamp on a slider too; or put another one at the headstock end.

Joe

blackcatrain
23rd January 2007, 03:59 PM
Superb idea Hickory, superb.:2tsup:

fred.n
23rd January 2007, 10:02 PM
Great idea Hickory

I'll be using that method A S A P
Greenie on the way:) :)

Fred