PDA

View Full Version : Walnut trees for timber

Phil Lee
17th January 2007, 04:01 PM
I'd like to hear from anyone about what type of walnut tree produces the best timber. I've got a few walnut trees that I've grown from seed planted 36 years ago and I want to plant some more. Any ideas, knowledge, experiences, links etc?

Little Festo
18th January 2007, 12:01 AM
Phil,

I have heard that American Black walnut is good, also English Walnut, Juglans regia, is very good too. Used in musical instruments if I remember correctly and is the more sought after for timber. I've just read somewhere that the black walnut produces better nuts.

Try searching for previous posts on this forum, I'm sure this has been discussed before.

I have just planted some American Black walnut trees, won't be around when they are ready to harvest (timber). Would have liked to plant some English walnut but the weather here is a bit too warm.

Peter

Phil Lee
18th January 2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks Peter,

same here but it's nice to think that we're giving something wortrhwhile to the future . . . I have searched previous posts but haven't come up with much . . . am thinking of grafting Chandler or the like with lateral budding for nuts onto long Black walnut boles for the timber but would like any other suggestions.

Phil.

dadpad
18th January 2007, 11:50 PM
Black walnut is a reccomended foresry tree. Deep soils and higher rainfall are reccomended. There is a small plantation growing near Eildon Vic. Long time to harvest but you should definitly replace or add to your plantings . if you dont then in time there wont be any left for our kids to turn and enjoy.

I think I have some more info an blackwalnut here somewhere but not sure its current. Let me know if you want it I'll see what i can do.

IanW
19th January 2007, 10:09 AM
Have worked a fair bit of American Walnut (lived in Canada for 14 years). Lovely stuff - one of the premier cabinet woods, IMO. Richer, darker colour than J. regia, and easier to work (though have only used a couple of pieces of the latter).

Little Festo -The nuts of J. nigra are edible, but smaller than the commercial varieties of "English" (really Persian) walnut, and tend to be more bitter. The Californians graft edible walnut cultivars onto a couple of local species, (J. hindsii & J. californica) which are very similar to J. nigra, but paler - hence the term 'claro' (clear) walnut for wood from the root bole - much prized as veneer & gunstocks in the US....

Anything you plant will probably be appreciated by someone - should be more of it! Have started planting as many 'useful' as well as decorative species as I can on my 2 and a bit acres, too. I will just enjoy seeing them there, and hope a few of them might be appreciated by a happy woodworker & end up as a few nice heirlooms. I'm certainly not going to be around to use the wood, either!

Cheers,

soundman
19th January 2007, 11:44 AM
Very old ones.:D :D :D

Clinton1
10th March 2007, 04:39 PM
"... am thinking of grafting Chandler or the like with lateral budding for nuts onto long Black walnut boles for the timber but would like any other suggestions...."

I tried to have this done, and could not get anyone in the industry interested... and don't have the skills to do it myself.

Everyone wanted to tell me that it was a bad idea because either:
it didn't fit nut production "best practice",
or was such a novel idea that they didn't want to risk their 'reputation' on something that might fail.

I would appreciate knowing how you get on if you do decide to go this route.
Good luck with it...

randellu
3rd September 2007, 12:19 AM
What about mixed plantings of walnut (Black and regia), blackwood and other suitable (for location, climate, altitude etc) species (Tas Myrtle? only limited by imagination & availability)
That's my plan; I include swamp gum to suck up the water in the small drain in the back paddock. the blackwood and walnut will be part of my estate (rifle stock for grand & greatgrand sons deer rifles).
Just a thought
Randell
We're only here for short time, but leave something for the next lot.

Ausworkshop
3rd September 2007, 12:44 AM
I bought some QLD Walnut from Mathews timber
Cost me an absolute fortune but I thought it would be really nice.
A little dissapointed with it so far after planning it back, its a lot lighter in colour than I expected and almost perfect straight grain (was hoping for something darker and figured)
Oh well.
I realise now that the name QLD Walnut sounds better than it looks in my opinion.
Hopefully the depth of the golden grain will look alot better when finished but thats all its got going for it. I guess its also the way the timber is cut which effects the appearance. Its just so hard to tell when your in the yard trying to decide.

Woodlee
3rd September 2007, 10:30 PM
I'd like to hear from anyone about what type of walnut tree produces the best timber. I've got a few walnut trees that I've grown from seed planted 36 years ago and I want to plant some more. Any ideas, knowledge, experiences, links etc?

Dont know much about walnut trees ,but I do know the custom gun trade uses good quality walnut for gun stocks and is highly sought after.Crotch timber and root wood is highly desirable,for custom gunstocks .I think English walnut is the most desired.

Kev.

Pavão
15th December 2008, 10:44 AM
Anyone here know where a Black Walnut farm is located in NSW, if there is one?
I want to buy the green unhusked Black Walnuts to use as a natural brown dye.
Sorry not timber related..

dadpad
19th December 2008, 08:00 PM

The only one I know of is located at/near Eildon in Vic.

simon d
30th December 2008, 10:22 PM
As with most trees of European origin, you are looking at a growth pattern severely disturbed by the Australian climate. If you want walnut timber you should check out the closest to a European climate where these trees are grown and that is Myrtleford in NE Victoria.
Even there the progress of growth is faster than the indigenous climate and so the timber will be less figured than Europe.
Good news for turners though, A lot of the trees around the Myrtleford area are being chopped down for replanting because they have reached their mature maximum. I am talking Chestnut and Walnut. Try the local growers associations to find out who is chopping out plantations.

pjt
12th February 2009, 01:44 AM
Hi everyone, Andrew the qld walnut that you bought, I understand that another common name for it is rain tree, have a look at my thread titled "a litle bit of rain tree" and see if what u bought looks like this, and how much did u pay for it if u dont mind me asking.
Thanx,
Peter

toolbagsPLUS
20th February 2009, 01:37 PM
You'll soon know if it's Qld Walnut once you work it...;cos it stinks:C:C:no:

On the other hand American Black Walnut nut swells as sweet as a nut:roll: (No pun intended)

Cheers

Steve

toolbagsPLUS
20th February 2009, 01:38 PM

A friend on mine used to live on one just west of Bathurst, sorry don't know the exact location.

Cheers

Steve