PDA

View Full Version : chainsaw use

robatman
17th January 2007, 09:53 PM
Hi all, not sure if this belongs here, but a turning blank is the end product.

I have just got a small electric chainsaw for cutting up logs into something resembling a blank.... i cant afford a bandsaw just yet, and as i'm challenging wongo for smallest shed couldnt put one in if i wanted.

Anyway, how do you hold smallish pieces of wood (up to 300mm diameter) while you cut the log to size and shape it a little better so it doesnt wobble too much . Havent used it much but am very aware CHAINSAWS ARE DANGEROUS!!

Robert

soundman
17th January 2007, 10:12 PM
some form of V block or wedge arrangement is helpfull for cross cutting.

ripping ir splitting a plywood board with a coulple of cleats or wedges is a good idea.

cheers

DavidG
17th January 2007, 10:26 PM
I use a "Triton super jaws" with various jaws in them.:2tsup:

robatman
17th January 2007, 10:42 PM
was thinking of the Triton superjaws, are they still available?any idea on price,

if not any other standard folding workmate? (you know the type with the two winding handles and looks like a sawhorse) that opens up to around 300mm?

Soundman, have tried wedges but the pull force of the chainsaw is quite strong and logs dont have a straight or square face. at the moment i just rope it down on folding workmate?

Paul NQ
17th January 2007, 11:18 PM
I think I saw the Triton Superjaws at Bunnings the other day (either just before or after Christmas) for about $169. I have found that if you let Mitre 10 know what Bunnings are selling it for they will take 10% of the price.

joe greiner
18th January 2007, 01:31 AM
Here's a DIY contraption for cutting blanks:

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip33.htm

He doesn't show the band clamp in his slab-cutting pic, but use it there too, and remount as needed for different cuts.

Joe

tashammer
18th January 2007, 02:11 AM
I wonder if a carvers holding screw would be of use?

masoth
18th January 2007, 05:51 AM
Good and very useful post, Joe.:2tsup:

soth

Cliff Rogers
18th January 2007, 10:16 AM
I made up the one Joe suggested from Laymar Crafts, I have used several of their good ideas now. :2tsup:

SawDustSniffer
18th January 2007, 08:36 PM
i use two pipe cramps (extended jaws )with a 40mm scrap hardwood chain protector over the top , only realy need it when the hight is larger than its width

robatman
18th January 2007, 10:59 PM
Great link Joe, thanks. Might have to make up something like it.

Still thinking of the superjaws for more refining of the blank once its separated from the log.

Stuart
18th January 2007, 11:11 PM
Superjaws are superb for this, with the optional log jaws. I've cut up a lot of firewood that way - very very stable.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Estuart.lees/triton/Images/Triton/SuperJaws/SuperJaws.gif

Cliff Rogers
18th January 2007, 11:50 PM
I like the way the video cuts back to the start just before the falling log hits the foot. :D

Doughboy
19th January 2007, 12:00 AM
With the amount of firewood My old man and I have cut up if we used the superjaws we would still be out there!! There is nothing scientific about cutting firewood. Cut it, split it, burn it .... pretty simple really.

That said they are the single most useful piece of kit i think a person can have, and I have two of them.

Pete

Stuart
19th January 2007, 09:03 AM
A few years ago, there was a discussion in one o the Triton Times (I think) about them coming out with an attachment for the superjaws that allowed the mounting of a chainsaw. Guess it never went ahead- probably too many safety implications.