PDA

View Full Version : New shed (p2) and new difficulties and ??

LeoAU
19th January 2007, 12:07 AM
Hi guys,

part 2 of my new shed saga... :)
Started new thread because the situation has changed (as per your suggestions, I took the hot water service out of the equation by moving it).

So.. the area is 2.5 wide and 2.6 long. Building new timber shed.

To make the life easier, ruled out building it on concrete slab.

The idea is to lift the new shed off the ground so it is dry, ventilated under and termites free. :)

40% of the new shed area already has concrete underneath - ex foot garden path (1m wide). It is appr 50 mm thick.

I thought of bolting to the concrete couple of half stirrups for a joist along the bricks wall, and then every half a meter do the same, this time concreting stirrups into the ground. Then lay on top of this some water resistant chipboard sheet as a floor.
I didn't want to go bearers and joists across becasue the height of the site is limited to 230cm - house's roof and I want to have at least 2 meters ceiling height in the shed.

Any other ways I could build a suspended timber floor (keeping in mind there is some concrete footing)??

MajorPanic
19th January 2007, 09:45 PM
Lou,

What sort of timber do you have to store, tooth picks?
I need a 4mtr (min) cover for the stuff I've got lying around in 4 stacks.

Why don't you make a usable length? or are you constrained by parameters? At 2.6 mts I could use it for me off-cuts! :rolleyes: :wink: :D :D :D

At least you will have a timber shed!!! :2tsup:
It's a bastard to have to unstack to get at what you want!!!!

I'm just jealous! :wink: :D

LeoAU
19th January 2007, 11:03 PM
:( No tooth picks. Just general household stuff and all my tools. A 5m2 shed with shelves will just fit all of that.
2.5 by 2.6 is what I could make in my backyard. I used to have 1.7 by 1.8m shed. This way I ahve increased it by almost half.

So, any ideas how I could lay joist/bearers/stirrups/whatever?

routermaniac
22nd January 2007, 09:32 AM
I would concrete to be honest, it is quick, cheap, very easy to clean and provides a very stable surface for the shed to be fixed on. I did have a shed of similar dimensions on a timber platform, I would not recommend it. very hard to keep clean, the timber eventially rots, etc...

Stuart
22nd January 2007, 10:50 AM
:( No tooth picks. Just general household stuff and all my tools. A 5m2 shed with shelves will just fit all of that.
2.5 by 2.6 is what I could make in my backyard. I used to have 1.7 by 1.8m shed. This way I ahve increased it by almost half.

So, any ideas how I could lay joist/bearers/stirrups/whatever?Umm hope you don't purchase materials based on area/volume (such as concrete)..... 2.5 x 2.6 doesn't = 5m2 ........it equals 6.5m2:doh:

LeoAU
22nd January 2007, 02:26 PM
Umm hope you don't purchase materials based on area/volume (such as concrete)..... 2.5 x 2.6 doesn't = 5m2 ........it equals 6.5m2:doh:
It sure is. :-

But I have ruled the concrete out. Really like the idea of having suspended timber floor. Plus if you look at the pictures, it is not that convenient to poor concrete in and work with it.

SO, the 'final' plan is to just lay 4 90x90 TP posts parallel to the brick wall every 600mm (I know you might correct me here saying 2.6m wide/0.6 will be more :wink: - I'll spread them evenly).

Then use 90x45 mm TP studs as josts and lay them across every 450-500mm - that would be all for the floor frame. Then floor on top.
I am thinking about some waterresistant pressed board for the floor.

Will that do the job?

For the studs - should i go 90x45 TP as well? Or will normal pine do? How about 70x45 or even x35mm? :?