19th January 2007, 01:00 PM
Hi all ,

Does anybody have plans for cd racks.

Thanks Regards

Woodlover

Shannon
19th January 2007, 01:34 PM
G'day wood lover,

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy all that it has to offer.

I don't have any plans, but zenwood is currently building a cd cabinet (more like the taj mahal of cd storage :U ) It is in the woodworking pics section under - cd cabinet - WIP.

It is a step by step thing so really informative. Might give you some ideas.
Shannon

Ted
19th January 2007, 04:07 PM
I'm making this at the moment in blackwood. Sliding dovetails hold it together and ply back prevents sway. DVDs are very light so simpler joinery will work OK - I just happen to like the look of dovetails and assembly requires no clamps. Just make sure all the horizontal members are exactly the same length and then carefully dry fit each tail to its own dovetail slot. Give each pair their own mark as you go so they don't get mixed up when gluing!
Ted

Just George
19th January 2007, 04:44 PM
If you want ideas, do as I do.

Go into places that sell furniture and ask if you can take photos of their stuff. Normally to this they say no, so I say that my wife can't make it in today and I really want to show her what they have, then they usually say yes. Then snap away to your hearts content.

And then, the idea is captured on your camera/phone to be referred back to later.

Now all I have to do is hope that no furniture shop owners are members here:C .

SilentButDeadly
22nd January 2007, 02:12 PM
Go into places that sell furniture and ask if you can take photos of their stuff. Normally to this they say no, so I say that my wife can't make it in today and I really want to show her what they have, then they usually say yes. Then snap away to your hearts content.

I kind of did this....more a mental image thing though. Ended up with CD rack 1800mm long and 900mm high with three vertical chunks of used hardwood as posts, 18 lengths of 8mm stainless rod as rails (3 per CD row), 1800mm length of 75mm square used hardwood as bottom rear cross bar and a length of old Oz cedar skirting board as a top. A tad on the rustic side but looks rather fine and holds over 750 CDs.....

The SS rod is very cool but very exey I got lucky with a SS fabricator who had all this as left overs from another job and he rarely used this size - bought a heap for only $8 length with most around 2 metres long.