PDA

View Full Version : DIY fretpress

Setch
21st January 2007, 03:58 AM
Thought this cheap and cheerful home fretpress might be of interest to you guys. I've used it to fret a couple of guitars now, with very good results - certainly much faster, smother, and easier on the ears than hammering!

http://www.setchellguitars.co.uk/ant/blog/?p=160

old_picker
21st January 2007, 10:23 AM
I have a drill press stand like that that I mount horizontally, slide in the power drill, attach a lambswool budding wheel and viola, a great little buffing / polishing wheel. I use a velcro strap on the drill trigger to keep the revs down. Works beautifully.

As a drill press these are totally useless but have at least two uses they are well suited to.

Any more??

dayvo
21st January 2007, 12:05 PM
Ive used my drill press as well and it worked beautifully (not the best idea, but sometimes you have to improvise with whatever tools are available)
I used some scrap myrtle to press the frets
One of these days Ill get myself a dedicated tool for the job
dayvo

oz tradie
21st January 2007, 09:16 PM
Whatever does the job and at a bargain basement price is a win/win in my books. Haven't got one of those unfortunately..........................:~
So I had to buy and modify. I went to Hare & Forbes machinery and bought a 1 ton arbor press and drilled it out for the stewmac fret press caul.
It still cost me $99 for the arbor press alone, but nevertheless I'm happy to spend the bickies for a healthy method of construction. :;

cheers, Stu