PDA

View Full Version : Sawhorse plans?

Waldo
21st January 2007, 03:17 PM
G'day,

My current projet has taken up all the room my 3m bench, slap together temporary work bench made of 2 sawhorses and door and rather than go buy some more saw horses to throw another door on for more work area, my question for the day is thus?

Does anyone have plans for a sawhorse?

If you do and can help out then :2tsup: and onya mate. :cool:

Bluegum
21st January 2007, 03:56 PM
I had a set that I found on the web. I think the site was called American woodworker. if I can find them I will scan and send them on to you Waldo.

Waldo
21st January 2007, 05:29 PM
G'day Bluegum,

That would be excellent. :2tsup:

damian
27th January 2018, 11:41 AM
I've been looking at sawhorse plans. All have their advantages but these are dead simple and get you up and running quick:

How To Build The Best Saw Horses | Jays Custom Creations (http://jayscustomcreations.com/2013/04/saw-horses/)

I would make a change though. Instead of making both top and bottom of the I beam longer I'd shorten the bottom. You can still clamp on the ends but it means you can nail or screw a ply brace across the end to stiffen the legs.

So 12 pieces at 30" and 2 pieces at 32" and add 4 bits of ply 6" x 8" cut to a trapezoid to brace the ends.

I absolutely love how the I beams sets the angle for the legs so there are no compound cuts.

FenceFurniture
27th January 2018, 12:01 PM
chambezio very kindly made me a pair a few years ago, and I subsequently took one apart and copied it. The compound angle was 10/10 which was easy enough to cut, and not too tricky to rebate in the top. O'course, a Compound mitre saw makes that somewhat easier.

I would definitely hang the top past the legs by 100mm, and bring the bottom in flush with the legs, to add bracing like you suggested.

By not having the second 10° angle on the legs it will make them less stable (particularly with an overhung top) but maybe you can live with that.

Question (without having watched the vid): are the tops of the legs cut square or with one 10° angle? If they are square (which is my suspicion) then you could cut the "second" 10° that would allow the legs to kick out to support the overhang. I'm assuming your saw can cut one angle only.

Whatever you do, don't make my mistake: I wanted a wider top (150mm) which is fine but I used a piece of pine that had the heart offset to the centre and the bloody thing keeps on twisting and so the legs refuse to match a flat surface (until a weight is on it). :~

FenceFurniture
27th January 2018, 12:06 PM
You know what Damian - I like this design because it makes it dead simple to replace the top (no rebates in it). With the traditional design a separate sacrificial top has to be added. You can also vary the width of the top if you want to (and 150mm does have it uses) - you could have a couple of different tops for each horse.....

damian
27th January 2018, 12:07 PM
There are no angled cuts at all. He just buys a bunch of 2x4x8' cuts them into lengths and screws them together. I spotted the compromised stability, the horses are far from perfect, but if you need a basic support you could bang those up incredibly quickly with virtually no skill no special tools nothing.

I don't have a miter saw, I do have a very good table saw with router wing incra fence and incra miter.

I could make a jig to make double angle cuts, but I was posting the link specifically for anyone needing a quick solution.

Yes you do need to pay attention to grain even when your knocking up something rough :D

FenceFurniture
27th January 2018, 12:28 PM
if you need a basic support you could bang those up incredibly quickly with virtually no skill no special tools nothing.Yes indeed.

I just did some calcs in Excel, and if you used 75x45 timber for the middle and bottom of the I-beam, then your legs would be at 11.5° which I reckon would be quite ok. In other words the middle part of the I (75mm) is 5x the size of the lower ledge 15mm (which is 75-45 and then divided by 2. I dunno if I made that very clear or not!

70x45 timber will give almost precisely 10°.

Using timber in a 2:1 profile ratio (like 4x2") results in an angle of 14° which may well be ok, but will certainly have a higher stress than 10°. So ideally the profile ratio would be 14:9 (like 70x45) which could also be 3:2 so an imperial measurement of 3x2" would be best for the middle & bottom part of the I.

Sam
27th January 2018, 04:05 PM
Paul sellers has a few great videos of how to build the classic/traditional style.

damian
27th January 2018, 04:57 PM
Yes indeed.

I just did some calcs in Excel, and if you used 75x45 timber for the middle and bottom of the I-beam, then your legs would be at 11.5° which I reckon would be quite ok. In other words the middle part of the I (75mm) is 5x the size of the lower ledge 15mm (which is 75-45 and then divided by 2. I dunno if I made that very clear or not!

70x45 timber will give almost precisely 10°.

Using timber in a 2:1 profile ratio (like 4x2") results in an angle of 14° which may well be ok, but will certainly have a higher stress than 10°. So ideally the profile ratio would be 14:9 (like 70x45) which could also be 3:2 so an imperial measurement of 3x2" would be best for the middle & bottom part of the I.

I understood what you were saying. I was thinking I might grab a handful of those non structural studs from bunnings if they still have them and a box of screws. I'm thinking 3x 1 1/2 might want shorter than 3" screws though... maybe 2"

I just need some reasonable stands nothing too heavy duty or flash. It's just my saw horses keep getting stuck under sheets of ply etc as table legs every time I need a flat surface but somehow those tables never get cleared and broken down again :D

I was thinking if you add a tad of complexity to the design and cut the legs at 10 degrees you could just screw them on at that angle letting the cut end determine the angle. You could still screw the ply across the end to brace it, you could even add some ply across the inside faces of the legs to brace against racking. They should still stack ok.

FenceFurniture
27th January 2018, 06:02 PM
I just made one using 70x35, but the "I" parts thicknessed to 52x34 to get that 3:2 ratio. At this point I haven't put the top or end caps on.

Pretty simple process:
1. Thickness to 52x34
2. Glue and screw the bottom of the I to the middle, so it's a ┴
3. Using the mitre saw I cut the ends of the "almost" I with a 10° bevel so the legs will be flush with it. So when you look at it side-on it's a parallelogram where the top is 450mm wide, and the bottom is, uhhh, more than 450mm (prolly about 480mm).
4. Legs left at 74x34 just to plane off the grooves (it was "groovy" pine)
5. 10/10° compound cut on one end (only because I can), measure off 600m, cut the other end 10/10
6. Clamp first leg in pozzie, letting the I determine the angle, and the flushness of the leg/face determine that angle
7. 3 screws at the top of each leg: 2x 62mm screws into the middle of the I, and a 75mm into the base.

Using the 52x34 worked really well because I could lay the I on it's side and a piece of 9mm MDF under the | part of the I gave perfect centring.

I happened to have lots of 75x35 from a scabbing that I did a couple of years ago.

So when I stand it up the legs are only slightly out of whack, and a bit of weight sorts that out. The end caps will correct it a bit (I'll put them on when I'm sitting on it).

I'll make the other 3 tomorrow and then I'll have to make the tops out of something else a bit wider. 120mm by about 25+mm should be good. (although the wider the top the higher the stack of horses)

Bushmiller
28th January 2018, 01:51 AM
Waldo

There may be a few ideas for you in this thread, although some of them are verging on the extreme.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/thats-horse-188060?highlight=pmcgee+horse

Regards
Paul

damian
28th January 2018, 06:37 PM
I went to bunnings today and bought 5 non structural studs. They have put the price up to $3.50 which makes them a bit marginal. I needed to take the car for a run to find an oil leak so that was as good a destination as any.

I also surveyed the situation at home. There are some old fence rails and other bits of hardwood 2x4 1 1/2x3 etc. I'mgoing to make a pair to plan and then start changing, except I'm going to shorten the legs and lengthen the I beam. The horses I have are about 650 high and 850 long and I think that's better for me. The gentleman from the web page might be a lot taller than I am, most people are :D

Waldo, good fun but I'm not wasting that much timber on horses, besides I need to carry them around! :D

FenceFurniture
28th January 2018, 09:21 PM
I finished my four today, and took some progress pics which I'll post tomorrow. I'm actually going the extra yards and painting them - only because there are enough occasions when they are left out in the weather.

Fortunately all I had to purchase was the 90x45 for the tops, and some 75mm screws.

The legs are 600mm long, so about 550 high, plus thetop will make them around 600mm high. I'm average height, but a 600 height suits me most of the time. I'll probably make another pair that are higher for certain tasks - maybe 750mm.

FenceFurniture
29th January 2018, 09:58 AM
The bottom part of the I with 10° ends.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428600&d=1517179860

Showing leg attachment of the first one. I found that three screws in a line like this still had a bit of flex in the leg, so I changed it to four screws in a square pattern (2x 50mm screws at the top, counterbored in, and 2x 14g 75mm screws at the bottom). That is now much stronger. The extra holes you can see below the screws are from nail removal, not cockups! :D

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428599&d=1517179860

A dozen legs ready to go:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428597&d=1517179860

Clamped for screwing. I started using a piece of MDF to flush things up but found it was just as easy without it (and sighting the legs to check they were in line). Remarkably, two of them have legs where all four sit on the floor without any weight on them!

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428596&d=1517179860

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428598&d=1517179860

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428595&d=1517179860

I painted the tops and bases separately, and today will fit the caps.

ian
29th January 2018, 03:26 PM
Here's another option.
All butt joints = very quick to cut out
joints "reinforced" with triangular ply braces and 8ga screws.

FenceFurniture
29th January 2018, 04:16 PM
Just thought of what I think will be a foolproof way to get all four legs level (without trimming them later).

Attach the first three using the clamping system:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428596&d=1517179860

and then stand the three legged horse up on the bench (a known flat surface). Then clamp the fourth leg in place so that it touches the bench, and screw it on.

Too late for this time, but the caps fixed things up a little bit.

FenceFurniture
29th January 2018, 05:41 PM
By far the slowest part was the painting. I seem to recall seeing this colour scheme at HMAS Creswell (back in the days when you could actually drive around in there).

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428699&d=1517207426

I had another thought about the I beam too. For those with a tilting tablesaw you could glue two pieces together to form a square profile, and then cut 10° faces on each side. That would allow the legs to be glued and screwed which would make them very strong indeed.

When I was screwing in the 75mm 14 gauge there was a danger that it could crush the corner of the bottom of the I, and this would change the angle. Screwing them onto a flat face would obviate this.

Alternatively they could be faced on a jointer with a tilting fence.

crowie
29th January 2018, 08:55 PM
The painted one has come up heaps better than another paint job done at your!!! :U

PS - What were you doing down at Officer training school?????

FenceFurniture
30th January 2018, 09:11 AM
PS - What were you doing down at Officer training school?????Just cruising around taking in the beautiful period architecture.

ian
30th January 2018, 10:13 AM
I thought you were going to say "learning"'

damian
2nd April 2018, 11:56 AM
I finally got back to this. I know they aren't pretty but took me an hour to cut and screw them together, which is fast in my workshop. The place is in terribly disarray and as soon as I get some clear weather I'm doing a major cleanup.

Anyway some pics. I more or less followed the plans apart from making them shorter and longer than suggested. Legs are 650, bottom of I is 850 top is what was left, about 4" overhang. I may trim them later if it causes problems.

The angle on the legs looks too narrow but they seem pretty strong and stable. I did get some splitting because I just screwed with no predrilling. I used some old cheap screws I had laying around.

Anyway they will do for now. I've got a job coming up I will need them for.

FenceFurniture
2nd April 2018, 12:24 PM
Pretty is irrelevant - mine are certainly not so now after being used for painting some boards. They only started that way because they needed the paint protection for much of my intended use.

I thought the same as you re legs angle too narrow, but they are fine. Narrow is good strength-wise but not so much tilt-wise, but no risk of them tilting over, even as top heavy as they are. I quite like the extra beef that the I beam gives. They are not so easily kicked around (but of course less forgiving when you knee them :D). Carrying 4 at once is a bit of a chore though....

damian
2nd April 2018, 03:55 PM
I made mine from the non structural pine studs from bunnings so they aren't too heavy. I think they are 35 x 70 or something.

When I get time I'll experiment with making some more elaborate ones but if anyone needed a really quick and dirty set just to get something done I think this must be about as quick as they get. If I'd had tools and screws to hand I reckon they could be done in 1/2 hour...

Doing anything in this humidity is a struggle. The sweat was runnning off me this morning in an almost constant stream. It was dripping, but only just. I do about 2 hours and I'm shot...

Anyway at it again. Mowing now...