PDA

View Full Version : Aussie P&N turning chisels " Any good"

SawDustSniffer
21st January 2007, 10:06 PM
went down to the only Lathe shop in darwin a few days ago and bought a "25mm P&N gouge chisel " ,it was the only Gouge chisel over 13mm in the store

ive found P&N drill bits OK but prefure Sutton

anyone else tryed a P&N , and what other companys in Australia make good HSS turning tools
\
orderd my Nova DVR + 3 bed extensions , out rigger , extea tool rest and a few chucks ,face plates and jaws , have to wait for a price and shipping time ,

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st January 2007, 10:12 PM
I prefer the steel used by P&N to that used by Sorby now, I also thnk that the final machining is better, especially the fluting of bowl gouges.

I'm not knocking Sorby, BTW, their old tools are truly excellent! I do feel that they've let their standards slip recently and sincerely hope they'll pick up their game. :( (Any PR blokes from Sorby reading this? Quit with the fancy "yuppy" tools and get with the program! Sorby used to stand for Quality, not Frippery! :p)

My favourite tools are Ashley Iles but I haven't found any good Aussie distributors of them. Yet. [fingers Xed]

ss_11000
21st January 2007, 10:13 PM
i've found that p&n tools are great quality. i've got two ( bowl gouge and skew ) and i've used them at school.

i cant say how they compare to other high quality tools because p&n and sorby are the only tools i have used ( high end ). and i cant remember if any one of them was better than the other.

hamlet tools look good, they're in the ct catalogue. they should be good for their price lol.

hth cheers

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2007, 10:18 PM
I haven't found anything to beat my Henry Taylor Superflute yet.

TTIT
21st January 2007, 11:43 PM
I use a 3/8" and a 5/8' P&N bowl gouge that I picked up at an old turners garage sale at Springsure for $5 each. Just had to make some new handles for them and give 'em a bit of a wire brushing - good as any I suppose but I'm no expert [need a shrug smiley here!]

Lumber Bunker
21st January 2007, 11:48 PM
P&N are truly great tools. That is why we order them in for customers; I use them, our woodturning tutor uses them. Just great. and P&N are owned by Sutton (i think). trying to keep it in the country :-)

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2007, 11:50 PM
I....[need a shrug smiley here!]
It's down near the bottom. :shrug: You can type it in by putting the word shrug between two colons... Like : shrug : without the spaces. :wink:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st January 2007, 11:57 PM
It's down near the bottom. :shrug: You can type it in by putting the word shrug between two colons... Like : shrug : without the spaces. :wink:

Woohoo! Time to change my [shrug] hotkey. :D

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2007, 11:58 PM
.....trying to keep it in the country :-)

I try to keep it in the country too but...... shhhhh... :shifty1: I gave mine away to a beginner.... :oo:

I had a P&N 3/8 bowl gouge & I never ever used it 'cos my Henry Taylor Superflute was just so much better than it.
I got a couple of the older Crown bowl gouges that were the same profile as the Superflute but even they aren't as good as the original.

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2007, 11:59 PM
Woohoo! Time to change my [shrug] hotkey. :D
I was wondering when you would notice it 'cos you use the old :shrug: a lot when you are posting. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd January 2007, 12:06 AM
That comes from associating with SWMBO.

:shrug: and :rolleyes: would have to be the top two "looks" I get when she condescends to look in my general direction... :-

Cliff Rogers
22nd January 2007, 12:18 AM
That comes from associating with SWMBO.

:shrug: and :rolleyes: would have to be the top two "looks" I get when she condescends to look in my general direction... :-
Skew mate.... I have some more for you..... :2tsup:

You can try this first... :tongue2:
Or this ...... http://www.ubeaut.biz/thefinger.gif
Or this.... http://www.ubeaut.biz/smarty.gif
Or this.... http://www.ubeaut.biz/cover.gif

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd January 2007, 03:18 AM
Only behind my back... :p

Wayne Blanch
22nd January 2007, 10:25 AM
I have one the same as yours and I use it all the time. I like it and have had it for about three or four years. I have several other P&N chisels and they are all pretty good I reckon.

DJ’s Timber
22nd January 2007, 10:40 AM
You can't go wrong with the P&N chisels, they are a good quality no nonsense working tool. I find that my P&N's hold their edge better than the Sorbys as well

mick61
22nd January 2007, 10:30 PM
G`day i have a couple of P&N gouges and agree with everyone else, they work alright for me and AUSTRALIAN made i believe
mick:2tsup:

bsrlee
23rd January 2007, 08:33 PM
I can't quite figure it out, but either P&N bought Sutton or vice-versa. Anyhow, they are one company with may brand names. I also read on one of their site that they are now NZ not Oz.

SawDustSniffer
23rd January 2007, 08:42 PM
dam:doh: NZ chisel , ill have to distroy it now , i cant say i bought a twentySex mm gouge

i thought p&n was aussie not from the land of the speach impediment

what chisels are made in Australia then , might just have to get some mid 1960's holden leaf springs ,thay were made by BHP in whyalla SA with Black coal from leigh creek (before thay ran out )some of the best carbon steel made

rsser
23rd January 2007, 08:57 PM
P&N are ultimately owned by Boral apparently, and someone reckoned they source their steel from Austria.

I use one of their supagouges for roughing up big bowl blanks. The flute is more U shaped than V shaped which I don't much like but for brutal work that's not an issue. It's also poorly finished and benefits from some regular slipstone work.

Carbon steel doesn't last too long on our hardwoods SDS.

Christopha
23rd January 2007, 09:59 PM
As a turner who once upon a time in a former life long long ago etc used to be a demonstrator of P&N turning tools and also in a slightly later life a demonstrator of Sorby turning tools I can safely state that the P&N tools are far far ahead of any other brand I may have used or demonstrated.... EVER... in my humble opinion.... this in no way is intended to cast any slur on any tools whatsoever...

rsser
23rd January 2007, 10:09 PM
If I had to rate them then IMO P&N steel is better than Sorby but not as good as Henry Taylor - and all three are in use in the shed including recent purchases.

rodent
24th January 2007, 12:53 AM
My second chisel was a 16mm spindle gouge and i wouldent part with it now and it holds up well too our australian hard woods much better than some overseas tools .

OGYT
24th January 2007, 10:26 AM
I haven't tried them, but I intend to... next buy. I hear a lot of blokes say they really like their P&N's.

China
24th January 2007, 09:02 PM
I used P&N exclusivly when running my turning buisiness 6 hrs a day every day, I am still using them, two of my friends in Scotland now also use them, I do not beleive there is anything on the market today that would cause me to buy anything else