PDA

View Full Version : which chisels

wooded
22nd January 2007, 11:45 PM
Hi guys,

I know, this question might have been asked a lot, but I haven't found a satisfactory answer on the board yet.

I am in Perth, and just bought a second hand lathe (baie dankie to the seller!) to give it all a try. I've got some simple nromal chisels at home, but not the turning chisels that I need.

So I went to the website of Carbatec (everybody recommends that store for some reason) and searched for the woodturning chisels.

I want to turn small objects like pens, but want to do the bigger stuff as well, as tool-handles, table/chair legs, and last but not least bowls.

The Carbatec website show 3 sets of woodturning chisels:
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300_13600_14080&zenid=2q8m14k4dhkvbilir3p0odcoj4

1. Carba-Tec 3 Piece Miniature Turning Chisel Set
$39.00 :U
Made in China, this set compares very favourably with European and Australian manufactured products but at half the price. Perfect for pens or other small projects. :no: Overall length: 270mm. Set contains a 10mm spindle gouge, a 12mm skew chisel and a 2mm parting tool.

2. Carba-Tec 6 Piece Turning Chisel Set
$119.00:q
Made in China, this set compares very favourably with European and Australian manufactured products but at half the price. Perfect for pens or other small projects :~ Overall length: 270mm. Set contains the following:

10mm spindle gouge
13mm bowl gouge
22mm roughing gouge
18mm round nose scraper
20mm diamond parting tool
25mm oval skew3. Hamlet 5 Piece Woodturning Tool Set
$235.00 :o
Ideal for beginners or experienced turners:

3/4" roughing gouge
1/4" spindle gouge
1/2" skew chisel
1/4" parting tool
1/2" round nose scraperDoes the above mean there is no 'budget option" for my needs?
I don't want to do the miniature, I don't just want to do pens.

So is option 3 the only option, or are there any other stores (I prefer n online shop, because I work during office hours like a lot of us do) with some good turning chisels for a starters budget?

Or haven't I understood the concept of 'small projects'? :doh:

cheers,
WoodEd

RETIRED
23rd January 2007, 07:23 AM
See my post in this thread.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=367

Christopha
23rd January 2007, 08:32 AM
In my experience "Sets" always contain at least one tool that you will rarely want, use or need. If possible buy your new tools unhandled, you have a lathe and turning handles which suit your hand size and physique is a great beginners exercise. don't buy too many! A roughing gouge, a 1/2" spindle, 1" skew and a parting tool will be all the basics you will need. Buy best quality and you will have them for a damned long time. AVOID gimmicky tools like oval skews, diamond parting tools, "spindle masters etc etc as the only thing they really cut is your budget. If you have any money to spare then spend it on a few good lesssons and maybe a good book. Good luck!

fxst
23rd January 2007, 09:19 AM
A few years ago I was at a WW and bought a Sorbey pen turning set for my mini lathe, not cheap but good quality (thanks Chris).:U
My big lathe is a symtec which doesnt need chisels handpiece) but can be used with standard turning chisel and being a weird bloke I bought a set of cheap chinese chisels.....never again :doh: won't hold an edge shakes in fright when shown a bit of Oz hardwood etc. I am slowly replacing them with quality chisels sans handles as I will make my own at a size I will be comfy with. Chris has suggested a basic set to start with go with that and then if you really get into turning add the tools you need then.
Pete

TTIT
23rd January 2007, 09:26 AM
Hard to tell from the picture but I think the set in your option 2 is the same as the set a mate of mine has. I used them for a while before I bought my Hamlets and found them quite good and it also gave me the chance to work out what sizes I preferred. Then I went to a supplier in Brisbane and did a deal on 5 Hamlets in the sizes I wanted for the price of the set which (size-wise) didn't suit me.
I doubt you would ever regret getting the Hamlets (option 3) but there would be nothing wrong with the chinese set to start out either. :shrug:

smidsy
23rd January 2007, 01:31 PM
Go for option 2 the Carbatec 6 peice set. This set (what I have) is good enough to do some great work with but cheap enough to learn to sharpen chisels on which is an integral part of this game.

Hamlett are gorgeous and what I buy when I want a single chisel but they are way too nice to learn to sharpen on.
Cheers

hingston
23rd January 2007, 02:08 PM
I agree with smidsy
Go option 2 - learn to sharpen your tools properly. Experiment with the gouge shape. Once you have mastered this then move up.

Dont buy the $29 set from Bunnings. I had the roughing gouge shatter and send shards of metal around the workshop.

The carbtech set are not as hard as some of the better tools but then this gives you more sharpening practice.

This set is in the blow mould box and a identical wodden box is available at many places including ebay. I have seen them down to $79.99

I also took some lesons from tafe. This was the best thing I have done, I learnt more in the course than I had learnt in the previous 3 months in the shed. (At home I learn't many ways not to use a skew)

Good luck and enjoy, I find turning very rewarding.

SawDustSniffer
23rd January 2007, 07:34 PM
Dont buy the $29 set from Bunnings. I had the roughing gouge shatter and send shards of metal around the workshop.

yes i bought the same Made in china set (medle something ), wont hold an eadge , and 2 of them have shattered , lucky i wore safty glasses so dont forget to bye a pair of them too

old files work well , shape them the way you want , most lawn sales sell them for $1 each , thay will hold an eadge beter than the cheap chisles

learn with scrapers then progress into sticking sharp eadge's at the timber then gouges

rsser
23rd January 2007, 09:03 PM
I bought a mini set from Carbatec; about 5 tools for $50. Weren't worth $5 - poorly shaped, soft steel.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd January 2007, 09:38 PM
old files work well , shape them the way you want , most lawn sales sell them for $1 each , thay will hold an eadge beter than the cheap chisles

Before thinking "Eureka!" and rushing off to grind some files, I really suggest you do a search of the turning forums on "annealing files" first...

Files will shatter if incorrectly used.